• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cashless Societies

Would you be happy to live in a cashless society?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
It all depends upon technology. If we are in a society where technology is like magic then I have no choice but to endorse surveillance, because I just can't defend myself against magic. I need someone looking out for me in that case. The question becomes whether I will accept the ever increasingly powerful technology or if I will choose freedom instead. The two are becoming rivals. Technology has a tendency to force us to remove our privacy. We're experiencing less and less privacy as a direct result. Its not only the money but the knowledge and the vision that technology brings with it.

If this is unclear then consider the recent thread on biosynthesis. Suppose that your business competitor has the ability to create a disease designed to affect you. They've gotten a hair from your head and have designed a virus for you which is selective. Sounds crazy doesn't it? Its becoming possible. Its no longer crazy, no longer impossible. Now you have to keep your competitors from even getting hold of one of your hairs -- or you have to set up the laws so that they are always under surveillance.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Revelation 13:16-18 The Voice (VOICE)
16 and the earth-beast mandates that all humans must carry a mark on their right hands or foreheads: both great and small, both rich and poor, both free and slave.
17 Those who do not carry this mark, that is, those who do not have the name of the firstbeast or the number representing its name inscribed on them, are not allowed to sell their wares or buy in the market.

I would fight it tooth and nail :)

Heyo

Veteran Member
Barter is very inconvenient.
A cashless system would be electronic.
Problem?
Government can track everything.
And can easily seize anything.
If the cashless system is run by the government or at least controlled. So why fear the secondary power? It's the banks that have all the power in their hands anyway.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If the cashless system is run by the government or at least controlled. So why fear the secondary power? It's the banks that have all the power in their hands anyway.
Banks can't seize a customer's money.
But government can. They're the primary power.
Having cash is undetectable by government.
So if government cleans out one's bank accounts,
A ready supply of cash on hand will allow one to
continue paying bills.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm basically cashless myself at this point. I generally only withdraw cash for a few things:
  • For tips at coffee shops that don't let you tip electronically
  • So I have change to dump into the "casual Friday" charity donation jar at work
  • For garage sales
  • Foreign currency for when I travel to other countries
If my society went completely cashless, I'm sure there would be workarounds for all but the last use. I wouldn't miss it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We rarely use cash except when visiting a market where the majority of traders don't accept cards.

And the kids use pre paid cards.

joe1776

How about an economy without the need for money?

An economy without the need for money will be possible when we humans have invented a government that is not corrupt and is efficient in decision making. We've never had such a thing.

Money facilitates trade, but a well-managed economy won't need trade.

Money is like a cure for diabetes that causes cancer. Money facilitates trade and all kinds of crime .

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Problem?
I lived in a village in my childhood which was mostly in barter system. Hardly any cash was needed, and it was beautiful to live there. A natural and beautiful living .

Regards

MNoBody

story time
went to the landfill one day to dispose of the waste from the jobsite....
minimum load size $20 at the exit.....my debit card did not transact....kept giving them erroneous messages that said the account was empty yet it wasn't and hadn't been....none the less it did not transact..line up size is increasing.
fortunately i had some gov't scrip in the pocket, paid them and was allowed to leave without incident...
now, without cash, what would have happened
the idea is unworkable and IMHO is merely a refined control mechanism being sold to gullible naive children who know nothing of how cash is created or who owns it
[really you think that is 'your' money, and that it is really 'money'....Ben Franklin was right good grief]

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Problem?

Banks can't seize a customer's money.
But government can. They're the primary power.
Having cash is undetectable by government.
So if government cleans out one's bank accounts,
A ready supply of cash on hand will allow one to
continue paying bills.

A problem I see is if government, who produces, distributes, and 'backs' the cash, declares the cash invalid or drives the value of cash to near zero by over printing. In this case, gold, or tradable commodities would be the coin of the realm. I believe that investing in a warehouse of full of beer would make you a wealthy man if the economy completely tanks.

edit: or bacon...