• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cartesian theater in science and religion.

David T

Premium Member
Cartesian theater - Wikipedia

Is the religious science debate just Cartesian theater arguing with Cartesian theater? I am not sure we are are taught some simple things like what's is objective. Nature seems to not be clearly understood as being unto itself objective in and of itself and science and religion are completely subject to and subjective narrativly in context to nature . Cartesian theater inverts that statement starts with itself and religion and science use either the word nature or religion God, to justify their sense of objectivity. Each tends to do the exact same thing , and in doing that, they tend to both believe the terms are literally separate terms they aren't which is well impossible.

800px-Cartesian_Theater.svg.png

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't understand what this "cartesian theater" thing is. But as I am neither a cartesian dualist nor any sort of substance monist, even if it was explained well there's a good chance I still wouldn't get it.

David T

Premium Member
You understood the post?
At times like this I wish I had an IQ closer to 100.
Get down to my daughter's level which is much lower than that and you and I and will realize you are heading in the right general direction!!! The path much much less traveled.

David T

Premium Member
I don't understand what this "cartesian theater" thing is. But as I am neither a cartesian dualist nor any sort of substance monist, even if it was explained well there's a good chance I still wouldn't get it.
Well I think that Daniel Dennett laid it out very well although I think it really is a something one becomes aware of and realizes rather than convey in traditional ways about that, or it simply becomes Cartesian theater of Cartesian theater and on and on into debates. This topic can't be approached the same way as we tend to approach topics .

David T

Premium Member
Reworded it to make it a bit easier.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The question Is the religious vs science debates just Cartesian theater arguing with Cartesian theather?
And the answer is "no." The "Cartesian Theatre" was a way to try to understand consciousness before anything at all was known about how the brain worked. It was a nice guess, but (as Daniel Dennett made quite clear -- don't know if you've actually read him) very inaccurate.

Religion versus science -- well that's a different story. Science is essentially verifiable -- you can do the work to show that your theory works. Religion is not verifiable, but (for the religious) "true" anyway. They cannot be compared.

David T

Premium Member
And the answer is "no." The "Cartesian Theatre" was a way to try to understand consciousness before anything at all was known about how the brain worked. It was a nice guess, but (as Daniel Dennett made quite clear -- don't know if you've actually read him) very inaccurate.

Religion versus science -- well that's a different story. Science is essentially verifiable -- you can do the work to show that your theory works. Religion is not verifiable, but (for the religious) "true" anyway. They cannot be compared.
How the brain works!!! . What i would like to know what is that which determines how the brain works? That's a something other than the brain or it's circular. The brain in observation of itself determines how the brain works as It is observing itself is how the brain works. Wow amazingly brilliant sorry I am now a reductionist it makes comeplete circular sense!!!! Wow Cartesian theater either way!!!
I will stick with the non reductionists in cognitive science car mechanics is dull.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I suppose if you dropped a few dozen IQ points, you might have a chance of understanding whatever that was. I was mystified, myself.
I don't dare lose any.
Life is challenging enuf as things are.

Once I misplaced a single IQ point....
I bought an extended warranty.