• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caroline Glick's comments to European ambassadors

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In 2015 journalist Caroline Glick objects in a video (attached to a Jerusalem Post article) to something said by an ambassador from European country. He says that Israel is held to a different standard from surrounding countries because it is seen as European, and she objects very stringently that this is any kind of good idea and also expresses disrespect for Europeans over their 'Obsession' with Israel and their picking at it. Its actually a fairly entertaining small rant lasting about 4 minutes. Who’s brave enough to debate Caroline?

Does she have a point?

Let me add a little background to Caroline Glick. She's seen as a right leaning hot potato.

I'm unclear from dates given if this was before or after the above event but probably before: She criticized Jeffrey Goldberg editor of The Atlantic, saying he was anti-zionist. (Jeffrey Goldberg, anti-Zionist – Mondoweiss) He retorted through The Atlantic that she was delusional (The Delusions of Caroline Glick) Then she retorted on her site that he was 'Apoplectic' (Jeffrey Goldberg's meltdown - CarolineGlick.com)

I had to look that 'Apoplectic' term up. It meant, of course, something resembling or produced by apoplexy. Basically she connoted some kind of immorality about Mr. Goldberg.

Her views arise from a historic-continuous view of antisemitism. She says in a video what her views on this are, and to me her comments seem to make sense considering all of the history available. She says that antisemitism arises from the notion at the core of Judaism that individuals are responsible to reason about good and evil and to choose good personally. They have a notion of moral choice and personal responsibility for making choices which offends many. She says it is this embrace of reason which annoys and threatens those who reject reason (about moral choices). That is her explanation of antisemitism, roughly, as seen in the following video:

I am not claiming to be an expert on the views of Caroline Glick, Europeans, diplomats or of Jeffrey Goldberg. Nor am I claiming to be an expert on Israeli, European or other political matters.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I had already seen both videos.

I think that the last decade ...the 2010s have been terrible and devastating for the Mediterranean area.
And so many people forget that two countries, Libya and Syria were litetally destroyed, both politically and materially.
And the Arab spring brought nothing but poverty and turmoil.

Several migration waves are overwhelming Europe because of that turmoil.
I think that all Mediterranean countries want a peaceful Mediterranean.
Where peoples and countries are at peace with one another...and trade, travel safely.

But wars and terrorism in the Middle East prevent us from creating all this. Turkey wants to invade Syria...and supports Azerbaijan ...

So the problems Israel has are just a very tiny spot in the very chaotic situation the Mediterranean has right now.

We have a divided Mediterranean...the Western world is more and more distant from the Middle East, culturally, politically, socially.
Why? Evidently because there are fundamentalist countries who want this divide to exist.
And who spend millions on it.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A rejection of reason?

I think it's more a rejection of accepting any culpability on the part of Israel in the current state of affairs.

I also don't think her use of the Torah to support her position is useful.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
A rejection of reason?

I think it's more a rejection of accepting any culpability on the part of Israel in the current state of affairs.

When there is a great Moroccan woman, Souad Sbai who wrote many books denouncing that Qatar and others are funding the fundamentalism (meaning spending hundreds of millions of $) throughout the Arab world...I guess one understands that focusing on Israel is diverging the attention.
With all due respect, of course...

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I had already seen both videos.

I think that the last decade ...the 2010s have been terrible and devastating for the Mediterranean area.
And so many people forget that two countries, Libya and Syria were litetally destroyed, both politically and materially.
And the Arab spring brought nothing but poverty and turmoil.

Several migration waves are overwhelming Europe because of that turmoil.
I think that all Mediterranean countries want a peaceful Mediterranean.
Where peoples and countries are at peace with one another...and trade, travel safely.
Thanks. Its good to get a view from you on it. I should ask DS when they get out of basic training what they think about Arab Spring. They live in Egypt. I've only known one Egyptian briefly, and I wasn't very internationally minded at the time. I didn't care about other places very much. I sat next to this guy (very nice fellow) and worked for one to six months. He wasn't very talkative though. He probably thought it was rude when someone asked him about politics or religion, but I don't remember. I was probably quite rude. :p But I wasn't an assuming or pushy person, so I was probably tolerable.

But wars and terrorism in the Middle East prevent us from creating all this. Turkey wants to invade Syria...and supports Azerbaijan
Political disagreements manifest themselves as tight knots of interlocking arguments. The more we discuss them the tighter they get, however they keep coming up. Frequently middle east politics is put onto the table here on RF (religious forums). A very common sentiment is that Israel is causing all of the trouble in the ME. Its drawing the US in. Its oppressing everyone etc. Then this person says that no Israel is the only entity trying to save the natives and that Europeans are holding a double standard by sponsoring terrorist groups over there -- and nobody on stage crosses her about her statements. It is only a four minute clip, however. Perhaps they responded later.

So the problems Israel has are just a very tiny spot in the very chaotic situation the Mediterranean has right now.

We have a divided Mediterranean...the Western world is more and more distant from the Middle East, culturally, politically, socially.
Why? Evidently because there are fundamentalist countries who want this divide to exist.
And who spend millions on it.
Yes, and its a tiny spot of land to begin with, but its packed with people.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
A rejection of reason?

I don't know if she rejects all culpability for Israel. I think that could be her position or not.