• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Carny" Work

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have lately been interested in the fairly unique, seemingly exhausting lifestyle that being a "carny" entails. From being perpetually on the road to pulling all-nighters in order to set up and take apart the various carnival attractions, the whole job sounds extremely demanding and distinct.

For those unfamiliar with the term, as I was up until a few years ago, this is what it stands for:

Carny, also spelled carnie, is an informal term used in North America for a traveling carnival employee, and the language they use, particularly when the employee operates a game ("joint"), food stand ("grab", "popper" or "floss wagon"), or ride ("ride jock") at a carnival. The term "showie" is used synonymously in Australia.[1]

Carny - Wikipedia

Has anyone here experienced life as a "carny" or known someone who has? If so, what was it like? What were the best and worst aspects of it?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Where to start? :p

Good question. Maybe what your first few weeks at the job were like! I'd also love to hear about other facets of the job, of course, such as how life on the road was and how the sleeping schedule was. I realize that might require a long post, though, so share or not at your own leisure. :D

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I have lately been interested in the fairly unique, seemingly exhausting lifestyle that being a "carny" entails. From being perpetually on the road to pulling all-nighters in order to set up and take apart the various carnival attractions, the whole job sounds extremely demanding and distinct.

For those unfamiliar with the term, as I was up until a few years ago, this is what it stands for:

Carny - Wikipedia

Has anyone here experienced life as a "carny" or known someone who has? If so, what was it like? What were the best and worst aspects of it?

I don't know much, I had a cousin who did it for 1 year, all I know was she only did it for that 1 year and never went back nor did she have any desire to do that again.

sorry I could not give you more info

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was a kid, I had a friend who's father did this.

I didn't know much about it at the time; I was very young. Dad would just be gone for awhile... Being older, and understanding more, I feel it was a very destructive lifestyle. It was hard on her herself, her mother, and sister, as he was gone more than he was around. I also believe, through things that would be whispered between adults, it was a scene overrun with drugs, and I have no reason to believe he wasn't a part of that(though once he quit that career, he finally cleaned up and they built a decent life).

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know much, I had a cousin who did it for 1 year, all I know was she only did it for that 1 year and never went back nor did she have any desire to do that again.

sorry I could not give you more info

Thanks anyway! Any and all info is appreciated. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was a kid, I had a friend who's father did this.

I didn't know much about it at the time; I was very young. Dad would just be gone for awhile... Being older, and understanding more, I feel it was a very destructive lifestyle. It was hard on her herself, her mother, and sister, as he was gone more than he was around. I also believe, through things that would be whispered between adults, it was a scene overrun with drugs, and I have no reason to believe he wasn't a part of that(though once he quit that career, he finally cleaned up and they built a decent life).

I have read about the drug issues, which doesn't surprise me considering the demanding nature of the job. Still, I wouldn't assume all carnies did drugs by default.

It's good to know that your friend's dad built a better life after! Do you know what he did for a living after leaving that job?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have read about the drug issues, which doesn't surprise me considering the demanding nature of the job. Still, I wouldn't assume all carnies did drugs by default.

It's good to know that your friend's dad built a better life after! Do you know what he did for a living after leaving that job?

No, of course they're not all drug addicts. It would just not be an ideal path for someone who's prone to fall victim to such things, though, in my opinion.

I can't remember what he did after; they moved away shortly after he became more present. They were about four hours from me at that point, and I remember staying with them during the summer... he had a great sense of humor, and made a hell of a burrito. I loved his father, too, who looked like Santa Claus(and let you believe he was).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's something I thought I might like to do for a year, but no more because I've just been curious about that lifestyle and want just a good look in. For someone with such a family friendly front, from all I've heard it's anything but behind the scenes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Carny - Wikipedia

My cousin was a carny. Did it seasonally for decades and he seemed to enjoy it.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Carny - Wikipedia

The closest I've come to that is with medieval markets. Setting it up, working the entrance, tearing it down, driving the truck, putting things back in storage. But that's only for one event, sometimes two if they are on following weekends.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Carny - Wikipedia

Ask Mark Carney, perhaps?:D

Mark Carney - Wikipedia

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where to start? :p
With....
"Gooble gobble..."

freaksdinnerscene-e1426726200500.jpg

Audie

Veteran Member

Carny - Wikipedia

From book I remember the line-
" A woman with the hard and knowing eyes of a carny.."

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
lol! Right now I'm watching final destination 3. That's the one where a bunch of people are killed in various gruesome ways at a carnival.

(In real life that almost never happened)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
lol! Right now I'm watching final destination 3. That's the one where a bunch of people are killed in various gruesome ways at a carnival.

(In real life that almost never happened)

Have you watched the fourth season of American Horror Story? It was called Freak Show. I mostly found it so much more depressing than scary or gruesome, and it was also quite thought-provoking. As the title suggests, it centers around a "freak show" with various outcast carnival workers in the '50s.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you watched the fourth season of American Horror Story?

That's That's my favorite season.

It was called Freak Show.
I mostly found it so much more depressing than scary or gruesome, and it was also quite thought-provoking. As the title suggests, it centers around a "freak show" with various outcast carnival workers in the '50s.

I thought it did a good job of capturing the small-town-on-wheels atmosphere of the carnival.

"outcast carnival workers" is kind of redundant. :p

Most of us were societal misfits of some sort.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
That's That's my favorite season.

I loved Jessica Lange's acting in that one. The way she maintained a German accent while singing Life on Mars was incredible, despite the anachronism of that song's being performed in the '50s. :D

I thought it did a good job of capturing the small-town-on-wheels atmosphere of the carnival.

"outcast carnival workers" is kind of redundant. :p

Most of us were societal misfits of some sort.

You're making me even more curious to know more about working as a carny. :p