• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Careers involving religion

Chickie17

I'll be quick.

I'm nearing the verge of graduating high school. I really want to incorporate comparative religious knowledge into my career, but I don't want to be a religious leader, probably.

I'm looking at colleges, but I don't know what to combine a religion degree with to get a viable outcome. I want a job that incorporates religion and helping people with quantifiable intellectual challenges and successes. For example, database journalism or management science, though I'm not sold on either.

Any suggestions?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The only thing that comes to mind which fits such exacting requirements is to get at least a masters in the academic study of religion and work for a university or other organization that researches demographical trends and the like. But I think that you may be being a bit too restrictive in what you are looking for. There are plenty of other ways to follow a career that is in keeping with one's religion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'll be quick.

I'm nearing the verge of graduating high school. I really want to incorporate comparative religious knowledge into my career, but I don't want to be a religious leader, probably.

I'm looking at colleges, but I don't know what to combine a religion degree with to get a viable outcome. I want a job that incorporates religion and helping people with quantifiable intellectual challenges and successes. For example, database journalism or management science, though I'm not sold on either.

Any suggestions?

I don't know if this will help much; and, just looking at degree and career for a sec, the Catholic Church (you don't need to be Catholic) has a lot of positions around a Christian environment. I work for Catholic Charities and I'm not a practicing Catholic. They don't want us to talk about religion with students (I teach) given the nature of religion and not everyone is Catholic. That may be an option.

Some areas of the Charities have administrative duties. A lot of them are charity organizations helping the homeless and things of that nature.

As for a degree, universities (where do you live?) usually have courses in religion as Quin mentioned. That would be a good bet. That and religious colleges would help. Unfortunately (if Christianity isn't your thing) most religious colleges are christian; however, like Charities, you don't have to be Christian to go there. There are positions there not related to religion. Those that are, of course, are Christian oriented.

I think UU churches have options resources, I'm not sure.

Most colleges have religious studies. To combine career with religion, I don't see that much with any other religion than Christianity and maybe helping at temples but usually it's volunteer. You'd have to ask about administrative tasks.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Just keep in mind that most people who major in soft subjects such as religion, philosophy, art, anthropology, and literature, end up managing the local Burger King. Very seldom do they find a good career in their chosen major (most often these will be in the teaching fields). Best thing to do if you honestly want to pursue any of these as a major, is to marry someone who majored in one of the more lucrative fields, such as engineering, medicine, biochemistry, or computer science.

So, while you may only earn $20,000 to $35,000 as a fast food manager, your spouse, a petroleum engineer, will likely be taking home around $155,000 (the listed median income).

Last edited:

Sapiens

Polymathematician
If you go to school to get a job, skwim maybe giving you good advice, but it sounds more like you'd like to learn something beyond job skills. Might I recommend to you St. John's College: http://www.sjc.edu/ (Annapolis or Santa Fe). It is the oldest institution of higher learning in the hemisphere and is rated as the most difficult curriculum in the the country (some say in the world ... and actually mean it). You will well prepared for graduate school in any of the careers he listed as well as for all of those that you might be more interested in.

Since some on this site view science as a religion and evolution as a denomination, might I recommend evolutionary biology to you? Not great money, but the travel and adventure more than make up for it.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I'll be quick.

Any suggestions?
I'm currently majoring in psychology and religious studies and I know there's a lot of places those two intersect. A professor of mine studies the psychology of religion, and I know that this particular double major could land you a career as a counselor, a specifically religious counselor, a chaplain (in a prison, a military setting, a university, or any other place where chaplains are found), and I'm sure a number of other things. Don't let people get you down, while I think it's much smarter to do a double major (just in case you need a fallback), don't let anyone stop you from doing what you really love. Know the risks, but don't let them stand in your way! If you ever want to talk more about what formally studying religion is like, or about anything, feel free to PM me! :D