• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carbon dating

thepersianpuzzle

Premium Member
Quick question: I dunno if anyone here knows this but i am going to ask here first.

I know that Christians believe that the earth is 6000 years old and no older than that, and that atheists believe the earth is 4.5 billion years old.

Christians also believe the age of the bible is what others say it is. No one disagrees on the age of the bible just the age of the earth.

SO is the method of carbon dating used to discover the age of the bible, the age Christians and atheists agree on, the same exact method that is used to find out the age of the earth?

Farrukh

this 6000 years believe of christian is not true.
this verse of Holy Quran represents time spent on creation of earth
Say: "Is it that you deny Him [Allah] who created the Earth in two days? And you claim others to be equal to Him? He is the Lord of (all) the Worlds."[Quran 41:9]
and this verse in Holy Quran represents total time spent on creation of heaven and earth and whatever is in between.
[Quran 50.38] And we have created the Heavens and Earth and EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN in six days and We were not touched by fatigue.

This makes the age of Earth to be one third the age of the universe.
check the ratio, 2:6, or 1:3,
same ratio as 4.54billion:13.8billion 1:3.04
there is no such thing that one day of Lord is our 1000 years as Christians believe.
it is all relativity.

there is a verse saying
[Quran 22.47] They challenge you to bring forth that torture [in Hell] and Allah will not break His promise; a day of your Lord [Paradise/Hell promise] is like a thousand years of what you count.

there is another verse saying
The angels and the Spirit will ascend to Him during a Day the extent of which is fifty thousand years. Quran 70:4

as time is relative, it may be different for different observers, God has told us ratio in Holy Quran, and this ratio is correct according to modern physics,

Christians believe that God created the universe in 6 earthly days and rested on the 7th. Moslems believe that 6 days passed at God's Throne but we experienced 13.7 billion years on Earth: Muslims believe that God is not bound to His Throne; rather He created it and set it as a reference. The Quran says that God's Throne is even wider than the whole universe; so how about the mass of God's Throne? God's Throne is much more massive than Earth. Time should pass there much slower than on Earth:

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I know that Christians believe that the earth is 6000 years old and no older than that, and that atheists believe the earth is 4.5 billion years old.

Some Christians do. That's extra Biblical figuring. It's also the Torah, which some Jews say is 'their book(s) only. So, already you're making some broad generalizations.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Quick question: I dunno if anyone here knows this but i am going to ask here first.

Christians also believe the age of the bible is what others say it is. No one disagrees on the age of the bible just the age of the earth.

SO is the method of carbon dating used to discover the age of the bible, the age Christians and atheists agree on, the same exact method that is used to find out the age of the earth?

Carbon dating is.not used in either circumstance.

Altfish

Veteran Member
this 6000 years believe of christian is not true.
this verse of Holy Quran represents time spent on creation of earth
Say: "Is it that you deny Him [Allah] who created the Earth in two days? And you claim others to be equal to Him? He is the Lord of (all) the Worlds."[Quran 41:9]
and this verse in Holy Quran represents total time spent on creation of heaven and earth and whatever is in between.
[Quran 50.38] And we have created the Heavens and Earth and EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN in six days and We were not touched by fatigue.

This makes the age of Earth to be one third the age of the universe.
check the ratio, 2:6, or 1:3,
same ratio as 4.54billion:13.8billion 1:3.04
there is no such thing that one day of Lord is our 1000 years as Christians believe.
it is all relativity.
Err NO
If my maths is correct, that makes the universe 4-days older than the earth.
Unless you are now claiming that the rest of the universe is aging at 3-times the rate of the earth

kashmir

YEC is not equal to Christian.

About dating scripture, where is the oldest book at?
Regardless, the age of the very first piece of Scripture ever written does not equal the age of the earth.

Nothing you said is even what Christians say.
That is like picking a quote that dawkins says and using it to say its what atheists say.
Or to really dumb it down, All blondes have more fun.
Therefore every other hair color has less fun, its a brute fact :yes:
Does this mean bald ppl have zero fun? :sarcastic:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Carbon dating isn't useful to date the Earth. Carbon-14 has a half-life of only almost 6000 years, which is much too short for that purpose.

Radiometric dating may be used with various other isotopes, though. And it was indeed initially meant to find out the age of the Earth.

Rutherford's time bomb - National - NZ Herald News

Radiometric dating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of today, several different isotopes have been used, and I seem to recall that astronomers verified at least part of the findings as well.

Modern radiometric dating
Radiometric dating continues to be the predominant way scientists date geologic timescales. Techniques for radioactive dating have been tested and fine-tuned for the past 50+ years. Forty or so different dating techniques have been utilized to date, working on a wide variety of materials. Dates for the same sample using these different techniques are in very close agreement on the age of the material.

Possible contamination problems do exist, but they have been studied and dealt with by careful investigation, leading to sample preparation procedures being minimized to limit the chance of contamination.

Source: Age of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
As has already been stated carbon dating is not useful in dating the earth. But it is used to date ancient manuscripts. It can be used to date papyrus, parchment, and in some cases it can even date the ink used.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Also, there is a wide range of opinions concerning the age of the Bible. Different parts were clearly written centuries apart. When different parts reached final form is a matter of opinion. GMark appears to have been altered to include resurrection. Many original testament texts probably were redacted after the exile in Babylon. The age of the Bible is by no means established.

Tom

Alceste

Vagabond
We don't use carbon dating to determine the age of the earth. It's only useful for dating far more recent samples, like the oldest surviving copies of the texts that make up the Bible.

Much of text in current Christian versions of the collection of books they term "The Bible" (eg The King James version) are translations of copies of copies - indeed much of the first half started as stories passed down between generations orally rather than in writing. So you can talk about the age of a particular physical bible, but before you can date "The Bible" itself, you need to define what you mean.

Some of the techniques scholars used to place dates on when different books were first written down are mentioned in : https://coldcasechristianity.com/writings/johns-gospel-may-have-been-last-but-it-wasnt-late/

Astrophile

Carbon dating is not used to measure the age of the Earth. Carbon dating is valid only for organic matter that is less than 50,000 years old. The age of the Earth (4540±20 million years) has been measured by means of uranium-lead dating.