• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Capitalism Sucks

Heyo

Veteran Member
So what's your point, then?

The FT's "pro-corporate agenda" is evidence that capitalism is spending vast suns on addressing climate change. They don't make this stuff up, you know.
Capitalism isn't spending vast sums on addressing climate change, capitalism is investing in methods to milk the tax payer.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Their practical contribution is minimal compared to what they could have done within the past two decades, when they instead spent millions trying to fool us into believing that climate change isn't real.

I'm sure they will finally save us, and not simply profit off the new fad of "green" consumer goods until that goes away in the wildfires, droughts and floods of the next decade, as GDPs around the world plummet due to global climate crises.

But hey, we'll get some neat cars out of it, so it's not all bad!

Good point, if we do nothing at all, our corporate masters will surely save us, because corporations definitely aren't legal constructs designed specifically to generate profit and nothing else.
Now you are being deliberately obtuse. Throughout this thread I have been arguing in favour of capitalism controlled by government oversight and regulation. I think this will have been clear even to somebody of only moderate intelligence reading my posts. Nobody is arguing that we should do nothing and wait for capitalism on its own to save us.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Capitalism isn't spending vast sums on addressing climate change, capitalism is investing in methods to milk the tax payer.
It is investing to make money from new products, as it always has done - and which has been a process of enormous benefit to society, for centuries.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It is investing to make money from new products, as it always has done - and which has been a process of enormous benefit to society, for centuries.
I don't deny that.
I just see climate change (and some other issues) as new tasks capitalism isn't the best method to deal with. We don't need more products, we need less. And we need more than monetary incentives. The average Joe can't pay enough taxes to satisfy the greed of the corporations, we need to get the money from the corporations themselves (or, more precisely, the capitalists holding the shares). Which won't happen as long as we live in a plutocracy.