• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Capital in the Anthropocene'

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
‘A new way of life’: the Marxist, post-capitalist, green manifesto captivating Japan

The climate crisis will spiral out of control unless the world applies “emergency brakes” to capitalism and devises a “new way of living”, according to a Japanese academic whose book on Marxism and the environment has become a surprise bestseller. The message from Kohei Saito, an associate professor at Tokyo University, is simple: capitalism’s demand for unlimited profits is destroying the planet and only “degrowth” can repair the damage by slowing down social production and sharing wealth. In practical terms, that means an end to mass production and the mass consumption of wasteful goods such as fast fashion. In Capital in the Anthropocene, Saito also advocates decarbonisation through shorter working hours and prioritising essential “labour-intensive” work such as caregiving.

Anyone read this or know anything about it - looks like it will be worth reading (not in English yet)?

exchemist

Veteran Member
‘A new way of life’: the Marxist, post-capitalist, green manifesto captivating Japan

The climate crisis will spiral out of control unless the world applies “emergency brakes” to capitalism and devises a “new way of living”, according to a Japanese academic whose book on Marxism and the environment has become a surprise bestseller. The message from Kohei Saito, an associate professor at Tokyo University, is simple: capitalism’s demand for unlimited profits is destroying the planet and only “degrowth” can repair the damage by slowing down social production and sharing wealth. In practical terms, that means an end to mass production and the mass consumption of wasteful goods such as fast fashion. In Capital in the Anthropocene, Saito also advocates decarbonisation through shorter working hours and prioritising essential “labour-intensive” work such as caregiving.

Anyone read this or know anything about it - looks like it will be worth reading (not in English yet)?
I'll have to look out for reviews of this, once it is translated. I admit to considerable scepticism that Marx has anything useful to offer. The key, surely, is that people will always need to feel that they can make their lives better, for themselves or their offspring. Traditionally the route to that has been via economic growth, and capitalism has managed that very well. If we are to accept no further growth, people will need to find themselves other yardsticks by which to measure progress towards a better life. Appealing to them to become ascetics, like Japanese monks, will not get much traction. The history of Marxism has been a series of inglorious attempts at compelling people to be altruistic.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    137 bytes · Views: 1

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'll have to look out for reviews of this, once it is translated. I admit to considerable scepticism that Marx has anything useful to offer. The key, surely, is that people will always need to feel that they can make their lives better, for themselves or their offspring. Traditionally the route to that has been via economic growth, and capitalism has managed that very well. If we are to accept no further growth, people will need to find themselves other yardsticks by which to measure progress towards a better life. Appealing to them to become ascetics, like Japanese monks, will not get much traction. The history of Marxism has been a series of inglorious attempts at compelling people to be altruistic.
Seems as if it might have something useful to say but probably like yourself, I got disillusioned with Marxism fairly early on. But hopefully we will find something better than the capitalism that we tend to have in most countries.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
people will need to find themselves other yardsticks by which to measure progress towards a better life

Happiness and Contentedness is a better metric IMO.

Economic growth as a means to foster this, is just capitalizing on our inherent greed.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Happiness and Contentedness is a better metric IMO.

Economic growth as a means to foster this, is just capitalizing on our inherent greed.
You and I, with fairly comfortable First World lives, might think that. I doubt the rural Indian, saving for a first or second air conditioning unit, will think in quite the same way. That's the problem.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You and I, with fairly comfortable First World lives, might think that. I I doubt the rural Indian, saving for a first or second air conditioning unit, will think in quite the same way. That's the problem.

I'd be happy with much much less then I have. As long as I can feed myself, have clean water to drink, and stay relatively safe.

The problem is most can't.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Seems as if it might have something useful to say but probably like yourself, I got disillusioned with Marxism fairly early on. But hopefully we will find something better than the capitalism that we tend to have in most countries.
Marx was spot on with his analysis of the capitalist system of the 19th c. Many of his insights are still valid, his theories are still taught in economics today.
What failed are the solution people tried to construct from his insights.
Also, the world has changed a lot. The conditions for the workers are not the same, the work is not the same. With the simple Marxism of the 19th c. we won't get very far. We need a new analysis and new solutions.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Marx was spot on with his analysis of the capitalist system of the 19th c. Many of his insights are still valid, his theories are still taught in economics today.
What failed are the solution people tried to construct from his insights.
Also, the world has changed a lot. The conditions for the workers are not the same, the work is not the same. With the simple Marxism of the 19th c. we won't get very far. We need a new analysis and new solutions.
I had some interest in travelling to the USSR - about 1962 - something probably persuaded me as to such not being a good idea. :oops: