• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Candles and Fire in the World's Religions

dianaiad

Hummm. What religion are you? :)

Classification drill down? (grin)
Theist...Abrahamic...Christian...Restorationist...Mormon...Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints (some call us "LDS")

We have a very rich symbolic tradition, actually....but we don't show it to 'the world' much. We keep that sort of thing intensely private. In fact, while other Christians wear crosses to remind themselves (and others) of their beliefs, we put the symbols that remind us of who we are on garments worn next to the skin and under the clothes that everybody else sees. It's hard to do that with candles, y'know?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There's largely a symbolic component attributed with veneration through the burning of candles. It also aids in and demonstrates our natural ability to focus, same as that of burning incense which would draw attention towards the smoke and smell minimizing surrounding distractions.

Interesting way of thinking about it! On the flip side, I tend to think of this as emphasizing that the human animal is bad at focusing - because it takes bright and shiny objects for us to have our attention grabbed... heh. :D

GoodbyeDave

There's largely a symbolic component attributed with veneration through the burning of candles. It also aids in and demonstrates our natural ability to focus, same as that of burning incense which would draw attention towards the smoke and smell minimizing surrounding distractions.
In my tradition, they are offerings. And I would never use a paraffin candle: they're beeswax.

Akivah

Judaism uses a lot of candles. The menorah is a seven branched candelabrum that was used in the Temple of Jerusalem. The priests lit the menorah in the Sanctuary every evening and cleaned it out every morning, replacing the wicks and putting fresh olive oil into the cups. The menorah is a symbol of our nation and an illustration of our mission to be "a light unto the nations". Every synagogue has an eternal flame (usually electric nowadays) that symbolizes the Temple menorah.

For the weekly Sabbath, two candles are lit in the home to mark the start of Shabbat, and blessings are said over them.

Hanuka is known as the "festival of the lights". Despite Hanuka being a relatively unimportant holiday, it is probably the best known Jewish holiday since it occurs proximate to xmas. Hanuka involves an eight branched candelabrum. Each day one candle is lit and another is added each day. The candles represent the miracle of a tiny flask of holy oil lasting for eight days instead of just one, so the Temple could be properly rededicated after our victory over the Greeks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hanuka is known as the "festival of the lights". .

As is Diwali ... well, actually festival of light. Kartikao Deepam is another Hindu festival celebrated with a lot of light, in particular a huge one on top of a sacred mountain. So there is commonality here.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Judaism uses a lot of candles. The menorah is a seven branched candelabrum that was used in the Temple of Jerusalem. The priests lit the menorah in the Sanctuary every evening and cleaned it out every morning, replacing the wicks and putting fresh olive oil into the cups. The menorah is a symbol of our nation and an illustration of our mission to be "a light unto the nations". Every synagogue has an eternal flame (usually electric nowadays) that symbolizes the Temple menorah.

This makes me think more broadly about modernization of traditional religious practices. Candles were used historically in part because that is what was available, and many traditions still prefer them instead of "upgrading" to more modern materials that have a similar symbolic flair. Believe it or not, using lighters to ignite candles can be controversial in some contemporary Pagan circles, because they are not "sacred enough" or something. I'll admit I've been thinking about getting a parabolic reflector and eschew the more wasteful modes of fire ignition, but they are also pretty darned cool. :D

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
This makes me think more broadly about modernization of traditional religious practices. Candles were used historically in part because that is what was available, and many traditions still prefer them instead of "upgrading" to more modern materials that have a similar symbolic flair. Believe it or not, using lighters to ignite candles can be controversial in some contemporary Pagan circles, because they are not "sacred enough" or something. I'll admit I've been thinking about getting a parabolic reflector and eschew the more wasteful modes of fire ignition, but they are also pretty darned cool. :D
I use matches, if it's a ritual.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Some Hindus still light a fire meant for religious purpose (Yajna) with 'Arani', rubbing a wooden stick in a depression in another wooden block.
Hindus are the eternal pagans.

We even know who produced fire first and the tree whose wood was utilized to produce fire:
Sukta 22: "O Agni! You were first produced by Bharata's sons, Devashraya and Devarata, by rubbing together dry pieces of wood from Shami tree*. In order to achieve good fortune, I establish you on a noble pedastal. Established at the holy altar, may you grant our wishes and add to our means for performing the yajna."

* Shami tree: Prosopis cineraria. Image below. First one is the 'tree of life' in Dubai. Every thing on record.

Got the reference from here: https://books.google.co.in/books?id...eMQ6AEIKjAD#v=onepage&q=RigVeda Arani&f=false. But I do not know which hymn in RigVeda has this verse.

agni2.jpg
Arani.jpg
330px-Tree_of_Life_Bahrain.jpg
330px-Khejri.jpg
neelakantha_sastry.jpg
img_1702.jpg

Last edited:

Akivah

Well, candles were an upgrade from cups of oil with wicks in them.

Regarding Hanuka, I've seen the method of ignition switch to a lighter instead of a match. Some people use electric candles as a convenience. So we evolve.

GoodbyeDave

Candles were used historically in part because that is what was available, and many traditions still prefer them instead of "upgrading" to more modern materials that have a similar symbolic flair.
Many Chinese have a small electric lamp on the family altar! I've often advised students that a drop of incense on a warm lamp is a suitable substitute for burning incense if flames are forbidden in their accommodation.

VioletVortex

Fire seems to be a very prevalent thing in religion. In ancient times, not much was understood about fire, and it was probably seen as some kind of spiritual thing. That's why it's common in religion.

As for fire in Satanism, it can be important in magick. I don't think fire actually holds any legitimate spiritual connections anymore than anything else does, but it has spiritual connections that have been attached to it by people including myself. So, it can be used symbolically in ritual. Ritual is about manipulating the physical world through the spiritual, but I believe that it's best to do this through symbolism and the strong emotions that can be brought about by certain symbols. For example, in a Destruction Ritual (where one harms an enemy through magick), one can burn a photo or a doll representing the person that they want to harm. Candles are also used to create a certain atmosphere. Their dim light leaves the room dark, yet it is possible to see the altar. This simply helps strengthen the emotional connections with the ritual.

Also, something bright in a dark room, like a candle, can be a good object to fixate on during meditation, which I consider a form of magick in itself. Again, it isn't necessary, but it can help.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
When you light a fire - sparks and smoke go into the sky.

Add religion and the need to reach God, - and there you have it.

The idea being that your prayers go upward with the smoke, or a burnt request, or an offering. They rise to God.

It also helps that it sets a meditative mood, add in scent, and burning hallucinogens, and you get a bonus God experience.

Over time we cut back to smaller and smaller fires, - thus candles.

atanu

Premium Member
Harnessing the power of fire was an important event in human history. We know today that the ability to cook our food was essential in our evolutionary development as a species, as well as the rise of what we call civilization. The ability to stay warm is particularly vital in cold climates given our general hairlessness. Unsurprisingly, fire plays an important role in the world's religions, and I'd like to dedicate this thread for discussion of how fire is used and regarded in various religious traditions.

One of the big ways fire enters in to religious practices is through use of candles, and I'm curious about that in particular. How are candles used in the rituals of your religious tradition? What do they symbolize in those rituals?

With respect to fire more generally, is it associated with any particular deities? Are open flames used in any rituals of your religion?

Contrary to common belief that mind is an epiphenomenon of matter, the mystical doctrine of the Rig-Veda teaches that Mind and Matter both are eternally present, as the "inspiring" and the "creative" powers of the non dual Supreme Spirit. In Vedic religion, the mystic AGNI (fire) is called the "first born of creation," and represents the pure and primordial energy of the universe, equipped with a pure mind. This Agni is in body as life that digests food. It is the consciousness in us and it is the light that imparts sight. The Rig Veda starts with a hymn to this mystic ever-upright priest that conveys our prayers to the divine realms.

• MADHUCHCHHANDAS VAISHWAMITRA
    1. I adore the Flame, the vicar, the divine Ritwik of the Sacrifice, the summoner who most founds the ecstasy.
    2. The Flame adorable by the ancient sages is adorable too by the new. He brings here the Gods.
    3. By the Flame one enjoys a treasure that verily increases day by day, glorious, most full of hero-power.
    4. O Flame! the pilgrim-sacrifice on every side of which thou art with the environing being, that truly goes among the Gods.
    5. The Flame, the summoner, the Seer-Will, true and most full of richly varied listenings, may he come a God with the Gods.
    6. O Flame! the happy good which thou shalt create for the giver is that Truth and verily thine, O Angiras!
    7. To thee, O Flame! we day by day, in the night and in the light, come, carrying by our thought the obeisance.
    8. To thee, who reignest over our pilgrim-sacrifices, luminous guardian of the Truth, increasing in thy own home.
    9. Therefore, be easy of access to us as a father unto his son, cling to us for our happy state.

arthra

Baha'i
One of the big ways fire enters in to religious practices is through use of candles, and I'm curious about that in particular. How are candles used in the rituals of your religious tradition? What do they symbolize in those rituals?
With respect to fire more generally, is it associated with any particular deities? Are open flames used in any rituals of your religion?

The Baha'i Faith has very few "rituals" as such and no priests. Baha'i worship involves prayer and there are certain prayers that are recited daily with instructions and for various occasions such as a burial service but there are no altars or use of candles or fire... Candles and fire are more metaphorical...

"Praise be to God, this century is a glorious century; may love increase every day; may it strike fire to light the candle in the darkness, like a gift and mercy of God."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 107

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
When you light a fire - sparks and smoke go into the sky.

Add religion and the need to reach God, - and there you have it.

The idea being that your prayers go upward with the smoke, or a burnt request, or an offering. They rise to God.

It also helps that it sets a meditative mood, add in scent, and burning hallucinogens, and you get a bonus God experience.

Over time we cut back to smaller and smaller fires, - thus candles.

Some see the burning (candle, fire, incense, offerings) as carrying the prayer/intention/communication outward--up into the air, for some of the spirits, but across the landscape to others, and even to the ground (also through the ashes). Not everyone places their deity/ies only in the sky...

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In Hinduism Agni is god of fire. Rather he is fire. He brings prayers to the gods. Btw, the name Agni is cognate with the root for 'ignite'. Fire also dispels darkness and destroys ignorance.

All Hindu rituals use fire in some way, usually an oil or ghee lamp. It's offered to the gods then to the devotees. That's why you see Hindus cupping their hands over the flame then bringing their hands to their eyes.

One poem from rig Veda to Agni (God of fire) (Mandala 2)

1. With sacrifice increase Jātavedas(flames) ; sacrifice to Agni with oblation, with song at length
when he is kindled—(Agni) receiving pleasurable offerings, possessing
solar glory, the heaven-ruling Hotar, sitting at the chariot-pole in the
(ritual) enclosures.

2. Toward you have the nights and the dawns bellowed, o Agni, like
milk-cows in good pastures to their calf.
As the spoked wheel of heaven [=sun] (does) through the human (life-)
spans, through the successive nights you shine, o you of many favors.

3. Him of wondrous power have the gods fitted down at the base of the airy realm [=on earth],
as their spoked wheel of heaven and earth—Agni with his flaming flame—like a chariot worthy to be acquired,
to be proclaimed like an envoy (installed) among the settled peoples.

4. Him, growing in the airy realm (as) in his own house, very bright like
gold, they have set on a meandering (course),
appearing (like) the flying (udder) of Prsni [=cloud], observing with his
eyes along (the whole length of) both races [=gods and men], like the
protector of a path [?] .

5. As Hotar (chief priest) let him encompass the whole ceremony. Toward him do the sons of Manu (humans) stretch out, with oblations and with song.
Golden-lipped, growing on these (hearths), quivering, appearing like
heaven with its stars, he perceives along (the whole length of) the two
world-halves.

6. When you have been kindled, (shine) richly for our well-being; even
after you are entirely extinguished, shine wealth upon us.
Turn the two world-halves toward here, for our easy progress, o god
Agni, (for them) to seek out the oblations of Manu.

7. Give us, Agni, lofty (prizes), give (prizes) in thousands. Open up the
prize like a door, for (it) to be famed.
Turn heaven and earth eastward with a sacred formulation. Like the
blazing sun, you have made the dawns flash forth.

8. On being kindled through (all) the dawns and the nights, like the sun he has shone with red radiance.
With the libations of Manu he conducts good ceremonies—the king of
the clans, the guest dear to Āyu.

9. In this way, o foremost Agni, (hymnic) vision swells for us among the immortals dwelling in lofty heaven through the human (lifespans)—(a vision like) a cow giving milk to the bard in the (ritual) enclosures,
(bringing) by herself multiform (prizes) in hundreds at her
impulsion.

10. May we, o Agni, by our steed get in sight of (wealth) in good heroes, or by our sacred formulation distinguish ourselves beyond (other) men.
Let our brilliance blaze upward among the fi ve peoples like the sun,
diff i cult to surpass.

11. O mighty one, become the one for us to proclaim—(as him) in whom the well-born patrons find nourishment,
whom the prize-winners approach to sacrifice, o Agni, as you shine
amid (our) own offspring in (your) own house.

12. May we both, the praisers and the patrons, be in your protection, o
Agni Jātavedas.
Over goods and wealth—much glittering, very abundant, consisting of
offspring and good descendants—exert your control for us.

13. The patrons—those who dispatch to the praisers a gift tipped with cows and ornamented with horses, o Agni—
lead both us and them forth to a better state. – May we speak loftily at
the ritual distribution, in possession of good heroes.