• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian seal hunt

mr.guy

crapsack
jeffrey said:
I presume you agree with fox hunting and trapping animals just for their pelts too? Animals that are killed as humanely as possible for food, I do not have a problem with. We need to eat. But to kill an animal solely for sport or for it's pelt, I do have a problem with. Especially when done in such a brutal manor.
You can presume what you wish. You didn't answer my question regarding factory farms. Fact: we can eat without them.

From factoryfarming.com

Today's "broiler" (meat) chickens have been genetically altered to grow twice as fast and twice as large as their ancestors. Pushed beyond their biological limits, hundreds of millions of chickens die every year before reaching slaughter weight at 6 weeks of age. An industry journal explains that "broilers [chickens] now grow so rapidly that the heart and lungs are not developed well enough to support the remainder of the body, resulting in congestive heart failure and tremendous death losses." Modern broiler chickens also experience crippling leg disorders, as their legs are not capable of supporting their abnormally heavy bodies. Confined in unsanitary, disease-ridden factory farms, the birds also frequently succumb to heat prostration, infectious diseases, and cancer.

evearael

What are the seal's natural predator? Do they have one or have they been killed off? What keeps their population in check? I am a vegetarian and wish to minimize cruelty, however if the natural predators no longer exist to keep the population sustainable, then it is preferrable, though distasteful, to permit limiting culling of the herds. Culling of a few is preferrable to mass death from starvation.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
mr.guy said:
You can presume what you wish. You didn't answer my question regarding factory farms. Fact: we can eat without them.

From factoryfarming.com

Today's "broiler" (meat) chickens have been genetically altered to grow twice as fast and twice as large as their ancestors. Pushed beyond their biological limits, hundreds of millions of chickens die every year before reaching slaughter weight at 6 weeks of age. An industry journal explains that "broilers [chickens] now grow so rapidly that the heart and lungs are not developed well enough to support the remainder of the body, resulting in congestive heart failure and tremendous death losses." Modern broiler chickens also experience crippling leg disorders, as their legs are not capable of supporting their abnormally heavy bodies. Confined in unsanitary, disease-ridden factory farms, the birds also frequently succumb to heat prostration, infectious diseases, and cancer.
We're getting off topic. Start a thread about chickens, but I still think killing baby seals for the skins, skinning them while they are alive is wrong.

mr.guy

crapsack
evearael said:
What are the seal's natural predator? Do they have one or have they been killed off? What keeps their population in check? I am a vegetarian and wish to minimize cruelty, however if the natural predators no longer exist to keep the population sustainable, then it is preferrable, though distasteful, to permit limiting culling of the herds. Culling of a few is preferrable to mass death from starvation.
If i'm not mistaken, killer whales (orca) like to feast on seals. The seals present no ecological nor aquacultural threat; their harvesting is purely for profit.

mr.guy

crapsack
jeffrey said:
We're getting off topic. Start a thread about chickens, but I still think killing baby seals for the skins, skinning them while they are alive is wrong.
And i think the focus on the seal hunt is indulgent activism for those too uncomfortable/apethetic towards the atrocities perpetrated on a much larger (and crueler) scale for more profitable (but not more efficient) food production. At best, the seal hunt could be described as small potatoes. God help the mass meat market if chickens become cute.