• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian federal election peanut gallery

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Only a few days until the federal election. Any thoughts, feelings, predictions?

As of right now, 338 Canada is predicting about a 2 in 3 chance of the Liberals winning, with a 16% chance of a Liberal majority government:

338Canada | Polls and electoral projections

The Election Prediction Project has the Liberals and Conservatives at pretty much a tie, but with 68 ridings "too close to call":

Canada 2021 - Election Prediction Project

What outcome do you see happening? What outcome do you want to see?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Only a few days until the federal election. Any thoughts, feelings, predictions?

As of right now, 338 Canada is predicting about a 2 in 3 chance of the Liberals winning, with a 16% chance of a Liberal majority government:

The Election Prediction Project has the Liberals and Conservatives at pretty much a tie, but with 68 ridings "too close to call":

I see the Liberals with another minority, with any of the other 3 holding enough seats to make a bill pass if they support it. In other words, no change. The popular vote is skewed because of the ridiculously high support for the PCs in the west. Libs could come second in popular vote, and still win a minority handily. I'm just glad I live here and not in a two party state. It's less polarizing. Personally, in my riding we have a very poor MP, so my vote is more of an anti vote than anything. Votin' for the guy who hs the best chance of defeating the incumbent.

You?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I see the Liberals with another minority, with any of the other 3 holding enough seats to make a bill pass if they support it. In other words, no change. The popular vote is skewed because of the ridiculously high support for the PCs in the west. Libs could come second in popular vote, and still win a minority handily. I'm just glad I live here and not in a two party state. It's less polarizing. Personally, in my riding we have a very poor MP, so my vote is more of an anti vote than anything. Votin' for the guy who hs the best chance of defeating the incumbent.

You?
My riding is solidly Conservative. No other candidate has a reasonable chance of defeating the incumbent, so I was free to vote for who I thought was best instead of worrying about voting strategically.

Edit: mainly, I hope that the NDP gains enough seats to have major influence with a Liberal minority government. That's the best scenario that I think has a realistic chance of happening, IMO.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As a non-Canadian, I want to see the liberal party win because they are closest to the Democratic party here.

I'm not used to having a serious minority party and am not sure what the NDP stands for.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

The chicken cannon ready to fire....

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And the big result...

Liberal minority government. Net increase of 1 seat for them. Yay?

Other interesting things:

Seems that the PPC (or "the crazy anti-vax fascist party" as I've heard them described) got enough votes to split the right wing vote in a few ridings. I find it worrying that they got enough support to have a small impact. I do like the new pun that's going around after Bernier came in last in his own riding, though: Maxime Dernier. :D

I was happy to see a Green get elected in Ontario, too.

Not much of a big story in the overall election outcome, except that the nation seems to have given Trudeau a lukewarm confirmation that he's on the right track.

I'll be interested to see whether O'Toole, Paul & Bernier keep their positions as party leaders.