• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada should pull out of Afghanistan

greatcalgarian

Canada should only be doing peace keeping mission under UN banner and not under US coalition force!

Afghan suicide blasts kill eight

_41919750_canadian2_203bgetty.jpg
Canadians are part of the US-led coalition

Two Canadian soldiers and six Afghan civilians have died in a double attack by suicide bombers in the city of Kandahar in southern Afghanistan.
The soldiers died, and eight others were hurt, when a car laden with explosives rammed into their convoy. Soon afterwards near the scene, a second bomber killed six Afghans. Earlier, in the neighbouring province of Helmand, Afghan soldiers and US-led forces killed 13 suspected Taleban fighters, officials said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5205754.stm

Booko

Deviled Hen
greatcalgarian said:
Canada should only be doing peace keeping mission under UN banner and not under US coalition force!

I tend to agree, except that I doubt a UN force would be any more effective in Afghanistan than it has been in Lebanon for the past 6 years.

The usual rules of engagement the UN forces work under only seem to be effective in cases where all parties are interested in peace.

I would suggest that the Taliban is not terribly interested in peace. Domination of their country and enforcement of their fanatical religious ideas would seem more their goal.

kai

ragamuffin
greatcalgarian said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5205754.stm

its more troops that are needed and more aid,the reluctance of some countries is astonishing, this shouldnt be a peace keeping mission it should be a combat mission.
its another example of the western democracies not having the will to finish the job.

Booko

Deviled Hen
kai said:
its more troops that are needed and more aid,the reluctance of some countries is astonishing, this shouldnt be a peace keeping mission it should be a combat mission.
its another example of the western democracies not having the will to finish the job.

Afghanistan: the next Lebanon

:eek:

Yeah, I don't even want to think what Iraq will end up like. :(

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
greatcalgarian said:

I tend to agree , but I believe for different reasons . I supported going into Afghanistan , but do not support many of the American actions there . And I don't agree with Canadian soldiers being part of those actions , such as placing people under arrest and deniling them any basic human rights .

No matter , Canadian soldiers are suppose to be transfered over to U.N. control later this year .

greatcalgarian

I am now having further worry, where for the Lebanon case, US is wanting the peace keeping force to be from NATO instead of from UN, and again, my poor country is getting involved in a mission which IS NOT under the umbrella of UN, but is dictated by US. Should we equate UN to US nowadays?
It may be a good idea if instead of NATO, we can form a UN peace keeping force with Russia and China in command, and the force to be form from army from Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, and we can then see how peaceful the Lebanon and Israel border can become?

greatcalgarian

Canadian government together with four others (US, UK, Australia and Israel of course), but no other government, view Hizbellah as terrorist organization. So as a member of Nato, could she perform a fair peacekeeping mission there?
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/
<H2>Hizballah
Also known as
Hizbullah, Hizbollah, Hezbollah, Hezballah, Hizbu'llah, The Party of God, Islamic Jihad (Islamic Holy War), Islamic Jihad Organization, Islamic Resistance, Islamic Jihad for the Liberation of Palestine, Ansar al&#8209;Allah (Followers of God/Partisans of God/God's Helpers), Ansarollah (Followers of God/Partisans of God/God's Helpers), Ansar Allah (Followers of God/Partisans of God/God's Helpers), Al&#8209;Muqawamah al&#8209;Islamiyyah (Islamic Resistance), Organization of the Oppressed, Organization of the Oppressed on Earth, Revolutionary Justice Organization, Organization of Right Against Wrong and Followers of the Prophet Muhammed
Description
Hizballah, meaning "Party of God", is an Islamist terrorist organization based in Lebanon. Hizballah seeks to restore Islam to a position of supremacy in the political, social, and economic life of the Muslim world. The objectives of Hizballah, as derived from its February 16, 1985 political manifesto, include removing all Western influences from Lebanon and from the Middle East, as well as destroying the state of Israel and liberating all Palestinian territories and Jerusalem from what it sees as Israeli occupation, with no option for any negotiated peace. Guided by these goals, Hizballah's ultimate objective is to establish a radical Shi'a Islamist theocracy in Lebanon. Hizballah has been responsible for car bombings, hijackings and kidnapping Western and Israeli/Jewish targets in Israel, Western Europe and South America. Hizballah operates principally in Lebanon, but has also been active in Europe, North and South America, and Africa.
Date listed
Dec.11, 2002
Date reviewed *
November 17, 2004
http://www.psepc.gc.ca/prg/ns/le/cle-en.asp#h20</H2>