• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada pays 8 million dollars to terrorist!

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Put yourself in that situation:
Would you refuse to shoot a kid that is firing at you or your squad mates?
That's not the situation that's the problem.

The situation that was a problem was the Canadian government infringing on his human rights once he was detained.

I know it's hard for you to get out of this Rambo-inspired mindset, but maybe try drifting back to the topic at hand rather than continuing to imagine life as a Michael Bay movie (with all the same moral simplicity).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I guess we could ask what a Canadian citizen was doing there as well...
He was fighting for the Taliban.

Omar's father was active with Al-Qaeda and the Taliban and brought Omar to Afghanistan when he was 10.

When he was captured in 2002, he was 15 and a child soldier in the Taliban Army. He was severely wounded in a US attack and apparently mistaken for dead or not noticed in the rubble. Some time after the US Army took hold of the compound, Khadr regained consciousness, spotted the American soldiers, and threw a grenade that killed one of them (Sgt. Speer, a combat medic).

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A minor... With a grenade and intent to kill
Maybe in your world little children are just innocent little sacks of love, to many veterans now and past children and minors were/are just as capable of killing as an adult.
Yes, but this happened during a firefight. Wasn't he defending against an invading force of bad guys trying to kill him?

Last edited:

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I know it's hard for you to get out of this Rambo-inspired mindset

During my stint in the military I came in contact with a number of special forces guys and Rangers, not one of them looked or acted like the cartoon Rambo. As a matter of fact if you put a pair of jeans and a regular shirt on them they would blend in quite well but it is very telling you resort to that simplistic vision.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, but this happened during a firefight. He was a "good guy" defending against an invading force of bad guys trying to kill him.
Khadr was no hero. He was fighting on the side of some very evil people. If he had happened to have been killed in the battle, that would have been justified.

... but this doesn't mean that he had no rights once detained.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When did defending yourself against an invading military force become terrorism, anyway?
Tom
Here's the thing about that: if he had been an adult, he would have just been considered a regular combatant and entitled to basic protections and rights: when opposing regular combatants kill each other in the course of a war, normally no crime has been committed.

It's only because Khadr was a child soldier that the American military tribunal decided that he wasn't considered a regular combatant (and therefore not entitled to the protections a regular combatant receives).

Khadr was convicted of the crime under US law "murder against the rules of war," which was first instituted in 2006... but the incident happened in 2002, which makes the conviction a case of ex-post-facto law, which is prohibited by the US Constitution.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
... but this doesn't mean that he had no rights once detained.

Which shows the restraint of the west, they could have handed him over to a local group that might very well have thrown him in a shipping container along with about thirty other people and drove it out to the desert so they could have a slow painful death. Death by container seemed a popular way of dealing with p.o.w.'s on all sides within Afghanistan.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which shows the restraint of the west, they could have handed him over to a local group that might very well have thrown him in a shipping container along with about thirty other people and drove it out to the desert so they could have a slow painful death. Death by container seemed a popular way of dealing with p.o.w.'s on all sides within Afghanistan.
This would also have meant denial of his rights... though probably not a claim against the Canadian government, since Canada didn't become complicit until Khadr was US detention (at Bagram, if not until at GITMO).

Edit: I suppose another example of "the restraint of the West" is that western governments pay what they owe... hence the $8 million settlement.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This payout was also done very quietly in order to frustrate the heirs to the estate of the American Army Officer.
SO terrorist gets 8 million and murder victim zero! From our northern best friend..Canada!
BTW - I certainly hope that the US government makes sure that Sgt. Speers's widow and family are well taken care of. I would hate to think that the financial well-being of any fallen soldier's family would be contingent on the government screwing up so badly that the soldier who killed their loved one is entitled to a monetary settlement.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They cease to be a child when they actively become the enemy.
If that were the case, the military tribunal would have determined that no crime had been committed.

As I pointed out a few posts back, a key decision that allowed Khadr's conviction to happen was that because Khadr was a child soldier, he wasn't entitled to the legal protections due to a regular combatant.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
In other words, the children of a company America invades cease to be children the moment the invasion is declared. Your values are messed dude

Afghanistan is hardly cohesive, it has been said that Afghanistan is like putting a bunch of hungry dogs in a pen together.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No the US did that. Canada just said "Okay" and gave him a happy meal (Serious)
Canada provided the US military with intelligence on Khadr to assist his interrogations and military trials. That assistance is how Canada ended up being liable.

Shad

Veteran Member
As I pointed out a few posts back, a key decision that allowed Khadr's conviction to happen was that because Khadr was a child soldier, he wasn't entitled to the legal protections due to a regular combatant.

No it was because international law does not consider non-military soldiers as legal combatants thus are not protected by the Geneva Convention. It has nothing to do with him being 15. Children soldiers have more protection than legal adult combatants.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Afghanistan is full of warring tribes, it has been like that for centuries.
Just local skirmishes, and things had been improving till western powers moved in to exploit them.

In the '70s:
iu

Last edited: