• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Canada Bans Assault Weapons; People 'Deserve More Than Thoughts and Prayers' ”

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
The reasons given for the Canadian ban, and the type of weapons is relatively clear - given the enormous range of such weapons - and obviously there are plenty who use them for hunting, as has been pointed out, but what is the priority - to save lives or to make sure many are not inconvenienced? Many countries have determined the former to be more sensible. I know the USA will probably not change as Canada has done over this - different culture and different mindset - but the argument made for their banning is the same.
So, no attempt what so ever defining your term?

Shad

Veteran Member
"Proving yet again that other nations are much, much smarter than ours, Canadian Prime Minster Justin Trudeau just announced that the country would ban assault-style weapons immediately in the wake of a mass shooting that took the lives of 22 people. The law will apply to roughly “1,500 makes and models of ‘military-grade’ assault weapons.”

More to the point: He said this was a necessary move because “Canadians deserve more than thoughts and prayers.”

… Last week, 22 Canadians were killed in the deadliest rampage in our country’s history. They were nurses and teachers, correctional officers and RCMP officers. They were someone’s child, someone’s best friend, someone’s partner.

Their families deserve more than thoughts and prayers. Canadians deserve more than thoughts and prayers.
He then talked about how things would change moving forward, since this would involve cabinet-approved regulation changes, not new legislation.

“You do not need an AR-15 to take down a deer,” Trudeau said. “So, effective immediately, it is no longer permitted to buy, sell, transport, import or use military-grade, assault weapons in this country.”

Trudeau said the weapons were designed for one purpose and one purpose only: to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time.

“There is no use — and no place — for such weapons in Canada,” he said.

Of course he’s right about that. Even though the shooter’s weapons were illegally obtained — and he would have had them even if this law was in place earlier — this move will make it that much harder for potential murderers to acquire weapons in the future. It’s inserting major obstacles in a place where there should be obstacles.

A lot of conservative Christians and their Republicans allies in the U.S. trot out the old “thoughts and prayers” line anytime there’s a mass shooting here, but their rhetoric has gone stale after using it time and time again. People recognize it’s an attempt to shut down conversation, not show genuine sympathy with victims. The politicians who say that line never follow up with meaningful actions. Their base rarely pushes for sensible gun safety measures.

And yet Christians often say thoughts and prayers are meaningless without those actions."
source

See, I knew it. Sanity does exist on the North American Continent.
flag-of-canada.gif

A semi-auto isn't an military assault weapon. Yawn. Sanity when one uses made up terms. Ha

Shad

Veteran Member
Fine. Did someone mention a "semi-auto"? If so, where?

Automatics are banned in Canada already. Perhaps you should look up the laws of the nation in question before responding further. Automatics were banned in 1979... Ergo the current ban is for semi-autos that look scary.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Automatics are banned in Canada already. Perhaps you should look up the laws of the nation in question before responding further. Automatics were banned in 1979... Ergo the current ban is for semi-autos that look scary.
yahoo-animated-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif
..................................................................................
free-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You'd rather get into detailed discussion about the abilities of weapons rather than their effectiveness in killing innocents?
Actually, my point is that you used a buzz word and are now refusing to define it.
What exactly is an "assault weapon"?
Or perhaps you can list examples of weapons that are not "assault" type weapons?

There has to be something you have in mind that differentiates "assault" weapons from just weapons, right?
Other wise there is no need to add the word "assault" to further describe weapons.

The media and politicians add the word "assault" for emotional impact.
Why do you?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Actually, my point is that you used a buzz word and are now refusing to define it.
What exactly is an "assault weapon"?
Or perhaps you can list examples of weapons that are not "assault" type weapons?

There has to be something you have in mind that differentiates "assault" weapons from just weapons, right?
Other wise there is no need to add the word "assault" to further describe weapons.

The media and politicians add the word "assault" for emotional impact.
Why do you?

Multi-shot, quick-firing - is that enough? And where they customarily are used by the military or LEAs, and where hunting or sports don't really need such.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Multi-shot, quick-firing - is that enough? And where they customarily are used by the military or LEAs, and where hunting or sports don't really need such.
so any fire arm that uses a clip, magazine, cylinder, drum, or otherwise holds more than one round.
got it

So you would consider say a muzzle loader as merely a weapon and not an "assault weapon"?

And you would consider ONLY fire arms that meet your broad brush stroke definition as "assault" weapons?
So for example, swords are not "assault" weapons?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
so any fire arm that uses a clip, magazine, cylinder, drum, or otherwise holds more than one round.
got it

I was hasty, missing out accuracy and range of course, but those quoted would no doubt be banned in many countries that do allow firearms, but of course freedom is the priority isn't it?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I was hasty, missing out accuracy and range of course, but those quoted would no doubt be banned in many countries that do allow firearms
perhaps you should take some time and think about it more thoroughly?
Thus far it seems you are merely giving knee jerk reactions in order to make sad attempts at cheap shots.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
perhaps you should take some time and think about it more thoroughly?
Thus far it seems you are merely giving knee jerk reactions in order to make sad attempts at cheap shots.

Unlike the expensive shots? Why defend something that your constitution got wrong? Many other countries manage quite happily without such weapons being available to the populace. Why think you lot are special?

Shad

Veteran Member
Multi-shot, quick-firing - is that enough?

Most weapons can do this.

And where they customarily are used by the military or LEAs, and where hunting or sports don't really need such.

Many of those weapons were never used by the military as semi-auto only rifles is a huge disadvantage. More so LEA uses handguns like glocks but those are not banned.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Unlike the expensive shots?
What "shots" have I taken at you?

Why defend something that your constitution got wrong?
Where have I "defended" the constitution?
Or the 2nd amendment?

Many other countries manage quite happily without such weapons being available to the populace.
Um...
Cangratulations?

Why think you lot are special?
What are you talking about?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
"Proving yet again that other nations are much, much smarter than ours, Canadian Prime Minster Justin Trudeau just announced that the country would ban assault-style weapons immediately in the wake of a mass shooting that took the lives of 22 people. The law will apply to roughly “1,500 makes and models of ‘military-grade’ assault weapons.”

More to the point: He said this was a necessary move because “Canadians deserve more than thoughts and prayers.”

… Last week, 22 Canadians were killed in the deadliest rampage in our country’s history. They were nurses and teachers, correctional officers and RCMP officers. They were someone’s child, someone’s best friend, someone’s partner.

Their families deserve more than thoughts and prayers. Canadians deserve more than thoughts and prayers.
He then talked about how things would change moving forward, since this would involve cabinet-approved regulation changes, not new legislation.

“You do not need an AR-15 to take down a deer,” Trudeau said. “So, effective immediately, it is no longer permitted to buy, sell, transport, import or use military-grade, assault weapons in this country.”

Trudeau said the weapons were designed for one purpose and one purpose only: to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time.

“There is no use — and no place — for such weapons in Canada,” he said.

Of course he’s right about that. Even though the shooter’s weapons were illegally obtained — and he would have had them even if this law was in place earlier — this move will make it that much harder for potential murderers to acquire weapons in the future. It’s inserting major obstacles in a place where there should be obstacles.

A lot of conservative Christians and their Republicans allies in the U.S. trot out the old “thoughts and prayers” line anytime there’s a mass shooting here, but their rhetoric has gone stale after using it time and time again. People recognize it’s an attempt to shut down conversation, not show genuine sympathy with victims. The politicians who say that line never follow up with meaningful actions. Their base rarely pushes for sensible gun safety measures.

And yet Christians often say thoughts and prayers are meaningless without those actions."
source

See, I knew it. Sanity does exist on the North American Continent.
flag-of-canada.gif

we can soon invade Canada and annex the territory

there will be little resistance

and we will make them buy insurance