• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can your spirit leave your body without you dyeing first?

Frank Goad

In Ephesians 2:6.It says we are seated with Jesus in heavenly places.I know what you are thinking.How can we be in heaven if we are not dead yet right?Will if you read 2 Corinthians 12:1-5.It looks like Paul believed in heavenly out of body experiences.Also In 1 Corinthians 5:1-5.It says a person's spirit could be with other people by the power of Jesus.When they were praying.The part I am talking about someone's spirit being with other people through jesus is right here: 1 Corinthians 5:3-4.Also in James 2:26.It says the body without the spirit is dead.But judging by the above passages.I believe this to be true only when you are permanently dead.

Last edited:

AlexanderG

How can we be in heaven if we are not dead yet right?

If you believe the various stories in the bible are true, then it does mention god bringing Enoch and Elijah to heaven for a while, while they were still alive. So there is an answer to that question.

The "spirit" as conceived in the Old Testament meant "breath" and was tied to the body, simply meaning a living being. It was conceived of as the attribute of being alive. Under that usage, your spirit could never leave your body and go somewhere else. At most, dead people were considered to be "sleeping" in their graves.

Under New Testament and more modern usage, a spirit can become disembodied and travel around to various destinations. The specific places a spirit can go, and under which circumstances, will simply depend on which of the 30,000 different Christian denominations you happen to subscribe to, or whatever other religion or belief system you have. There's no way to test, verify, or falsify any of this, so you can simply choose to believe whatever is subjectively appealing to you.

In the scientific paradigm, there is no evidence that a disembodied immaterial mind is possible. All the minds we've ever seen are the product of neurochemical activity in the brain, an emergent property of biological functions. There is no evidence-based reason to believe that spirits are in fact real.

Jeremiah Ames

in some religions is it believed there is a spirit world and a material world ?

isn’t this belief that they are distinct worlds?

if a particular spirit is associated with a particular body, and if the spirit is in another “world” (for lack of a better word), then isn’t it possible that the spirit is in both “places” (for lack of a better word)?

I don’t see heaven as a “place” but talking about something outside of time and space is not particularly easy in relation to that which exists in time and space

Jeremiah Ames

so I guess from what I wrote above, I don’t think the spirit “leaves” the body, since it does not exist in space

i guess

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My answer is 'yes' but I have no interest in doing so. While I have a physical body, my work is on the physical plane of life.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Yeppers, It's called a Near Death Experience when you almost die and astral projection when you are physically normal.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
In Ephesians 2:6.It says we are seated with Jesus in heavenly places.I know what you are thinking.How can we be in heaven if we are not dead yet right?Will if you read 2 Corinthians 12:1-5.It looks like Paul believed in heavenly out of body experiences.Also In 1 Corinthians 5:1-5.It says a person's spirit could be with other people by the power of Jesus.When they were praying.The part I am talking about someone's spirit being with other people through jesus is right here: 1 Corinthians 5:3-4.Also in James 2:26.It says the body without the spirit is dead.But judging by the above passages.I believe this to be true only when you are permanently dead.

Do you think Lazarus walked out of the tomb with a spirit?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Lol, I see people's living bodies that appear to be unoccupied quite often--the lights are on, but no one is home. ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Spirit (closest equivalent in Hinduism - Prana).

In Hindus scriptures and medicine, they believe in five types of Vayus (airs) - Prana, Apana, Udana, Samana and Vyana.

Vāyu: Location and Responsibility
Prāṇa: Heart - Talking, laughing, singing, dancing, fighting, the arts, crafts, tasks
Udāna (upward breath): Throat - Sneezing, hiccuping, vomiting, coughing.
Apāna (downward breath): Anus - food and drink enter body, waste move down and out of body.
Samāna: Navel - Mixes what is eaten and drunk.
Vyāna: All the joints - Horripilation, sweating, stomach pain, bending of limbs, sense of touch.

The lower Vayus are first to go, but when Prana goes then we necessarily die.

MonkeyFire

If your spirit leaves your body either you send it do your will or you leave with it as pure consciousness and leave your body to run autonomously. Be warned, if you have a soul or self in this realm you must accept imperfect faith, unless you crush the devil immediately with true self.