• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can your heart be prepared for Christ without you knowing it?

tomspug

Absorbant
Christians like to look at the word like this: say the magic words of a prayer that includes the words "I am a sinner" and "I accept Jesus Christ" and POOF! you're a Christian. But is this Biblical? Is it realistic at all to expect a conversion to be so definitive, or is it clearly and absolutely a facade?

There are people in this world who do incredible, incredible things... GOOD things! And they are not Christians, but they act as though their hearts are in the "right place". What does it mean to have one's heart in the right place? Is it not entirely possible that the "message of Christ" (Christ being "the Word") is not a verbal, written thing but a message that is imprinted on our very souls? From generation to generation, the teachings of love and mercy that God has gifted humanity with have been passed down, whether they are properly attributed or not. And it is for this very reason that there exists so much good in the world!

In my mind, (this is especially a question for Christians) cannot the preparations for accepting Christ take place without once attending a Sunday service? Is not the message of God's love so powerful that it permeates and infiltrates the fiber of our being? Do we not choose, as individuals throughout our lives, to either love or not love? Are we not, when we choose to love, following the very commands given by Christ before his death and resurrection? Does that not make anyone on this earth who understands and accepts love as good prepared to accept Christ? Perhaps the only step that is left for many of us is to simply give credit where credit is due...

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Christians like to look at the word like this: say the magic words of a prayer that includes the words "I am a sinner" and "I accept Jesus Christ" and POOF! you're a Christian. But is this Biblical? Is it realistic at all to expect a conversion to be so definitive, or is it clearly and absolutely a facade?

There are people in this world who do incredible, incredible things... GOOD things! And they are not Christians, but they act as though their hearts are in the "right place". What does it mean to have one's heart in the right place? Is it not entirely possible that the "message of Christ" (Christ being "the Word") is not a verbal, written thing but a message that is imprinted on our very souls? From generation to generation, the teachings of love and mercy that God has gifted humanity with have been passed down, whether they are properly attributed or not. And it is for this very reason that there exists so much good in the world!

In my mind, (this is especially a question for Christians) cannot the preparations for accepting Christ take place without once attending a Sunday service? Is not the message of God's love so powerful that it permeates and infiltrates the fiber of our being? Do we not choose, as individuals throughout our lives, to either love or not love? Are we not, when we choose to love, following the very commands given by Christ before his death and resurrection? Does that not make anyone on this earth who understands and accepts love as good prepared to accept Christ? Perhaps the only step that is left for many of us is to simply give credit where credit is due...
Actually, I'd take it a step further....

lunamoth

Will to love

I know you present this as a question, but I wholly agree with your implication that we can be prepared for recognizing Christ without ever having heard of him. Even people who know of Christianity (in all its various forms, attractive and repulsive) and reject it can still absolutely 'know Christ' through the love they have shared and known throughout their lives.

It is exercising the heart muscle that prepares us to receive Christ.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I have a very devout Christian friend who believes along these lines. The way he sees it if you act out of love and compassion for your fellow human beings then that means Christ is there in that moment and there within you regardless of whether or not you believe in him. Thus by this it is not a matter of accepting or rejecting christ so long as you live by the commandment of love that he professed your still on the right track. Personally I think that if Christianity is right that this is most likely the case and that god cares more about the love you show others than the number of prayers you say.

tomspug

Absorbant
Personally I think that if Christianity is right that this is most likely the case and that god cares more about the love you show others than the number of prayers you say.
And your opinion is absolutely backed by scripture, particularly the teachings of Christ.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
And your opinion is absolutely backed by scripture, particularly the teachings of Christ.

I'll admit I haven't read and studied the bible, and particularly the teachings of Christ, as I would like to. Though being raised Christian I'm certainly familiar with the main tenets and from my understanding this certainly seems to ring true.

Yet there are many Christians, the ones that believe that those who don't accept Christ are damned, who also claim that their position is backed by scripture. I have come across lines that could be interpreted in that way. For instance, I don't remember where it is but "I am the way the truth and the light, no one comes to the father but through me." certainly seems to be saying that you need christ to get to heaven and this line is attributed to him. And also the bits about how jesus requires someone to have faith in him first before he heals someone. I'm curious how you would reconcile these things given your proposition in the OP, if you don't mind elaborating that is.:)

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

Pretty much...

Yes sir..

Love

Dallas

SoliDeoGloria

There is a long standing debate in Christian Theology about this subject in the "Calvinism vs. Arminianism" debate. It boils down to when regeneration happens; before or after one makes the "poof" statement.

I personally believe Eph. 2:8-9 settle the issue: "for by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works that no one should boast".

As a "Calvinist", I believe that this regeneration takes place before someone makes the "poof" statement and therefor would be in agreement with you. However there are other Christians who would disagree with this notion, but it does not make them any less "Christian". It is one of those subjects that is allowed to be debated over and just so happens to be one of my favorite theological debates.

Here's a good place to start (R.C. Sproul happens to be one of my favorite current authors <hint>: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_(theology)

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

themadhair

Is it realistic at all to expect a conversion to be so definitive, or is it clearly and absolutely a facade?
I think the conversion process might mirror the deconversion process somewhat which would indicate many distinct steps. One thing that comes up time and time again in deconversion stories is the idea of a ‘seed of doubt’ persists for a time before the process begins proper. I think it makes sense that a similar ‘seed of belief’ might be present long before a conversion happens.

challupa

I think that your questions are good ones. I take the word Christ and replace it with divinity. If we are of God we are divine. We can never be seperated from that which we are, but we can forget we are divine/Christ. There is a belief that Christ has always been about the divinity in everyone and joy comes from re-cognizing that fact. Suffering is defined as forgetting who we really are and our forgetfulness is what allows us to act in ways that are less than divine. In many ancient religions the god man signifyed the awakening to our divinity, re-cognizing that we are not just our physical bodies, but are divine. So your questions are saying to me that those who do good works have re-cognized their divinity or their christ like attributes and it is not about claiming to believe in a particular "godman or christ" but re-cognizing you are that.