• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can You Wake Up?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Having never gone to sleep?

Can you become aware of something; if you're already conscious?

Consciousness is unlimited. Of course, it all depends upon your grasp of what consciousness is, based upon your current consciousness.
There is a finite point, however, where the basics are known and employed, allowing consciousness to ebb and flow as required by the moment.

Consciousness is not the same as awareness.
Awareness comes first, and is the ability to detect, while consciousness is where what is detected is going, and/or likely to go.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Consciousness is unlimited. Of course, it all depends upon your grasp of what consciousness is, based upon your current consciousness.
There is a finite point, however, where the basics are known and employed, allowing consciousness to ebb and flow as required by the moment.

Consciousness is not the same as awareness.
Awareness comes first, and is the ability to detect, while consciousness is where what is detected is going, and/or likely to go.

hmmmm, the thesaurus says that awareness and consciousness are synonyms.

hmmmm, the etymology seems to be pretty much a one to one too.

is english your first language?

hmmmm, the thesaurus says that awareness and consciousness are synonyms.
hmmmm, the etymology seems to be pretty much a one to one too.
is english your first language?
Yes it is. But consider: I have made long and detailed explorations into consciousness and awareness. I don't use the words as words. I use them to denote states, of which there are two distinct examples, to one who has deeply explored them.
This is the problem with 'sources', 'proofs' and 'definitions'. Where would you look for accuracy? From one who knows, or one who provides definitions of things and chooses words to call them by?
Anyhow: you got to explore definitions you thought you already knew about, and that's often - in itself - an informative exercise.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes it is. But consider: I have made long and detailed explorations into consciousness and awareness. I don't use the words as words. I use them to denote states, of which there are two distinct examples, to one who has deeply explored them.
This is the problem with 'sources', 'proofs' and 'definitions'. Where would you look for accuracy? From one who knows, or one who provides definitions of things and chooses words to call them by?
Anyhow: you got to explore definitions you thought you already knew about, and that's often - in itself - an informative exercise.

these symbols: a,b,c,d,e,f, et al are just symbols that convey an idea. words are like vehicles. they don't drive themselves. they're driven by the person who uses them to convey something; whether spoken, or written.

everything is a state of mind, either in motion or at rest, latent or active.

these symbols: a,b,c,d,e,f, et al are just symbols that convey an idea. words are like vehicles. they don't drive themselves. they're driven by the person who uses them to convey something; whether spoken, or written.
everything is a state of mind, either in motion or at rest, latent or active.
Of course. But how easy it is to forget that the words are not the things they symbolize, and that those things symbolized by words are understood differently by everyone who uses those symbols.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

One would assume. I would think it is a given, really. How long it takes to become aware (of whatever) is the $64,000 question.

For example, we are awake, alert and conscious, but hardly aware of everything around us. An ant crawls onto our leg and suddenly we become aware of its minute existence.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Of course. But how easy it is to forget that the words are not the things they symbolize, and that those things symbolized by words are understood differently by everyone who uses those symbols.

it is my understanding that most wise men didn't write their wisdom down. siddhartha didn't, jesus didn't, pythagoras didn't, socrates didn't. its also my understanding that they didn't because much is implied and filtered through the mind of the observer/experiencer. even a good teacher can take years to break through the conditioned mind.

love is innate

it is my understanding that most wise men didn't write their wisdom down. siddhartha didn't, jesus didn't, pythagoras didn't, socrates didn't. its also my understanding that they didn't because much is implied and filtered through the mind of the observer/experiencer. even a good teacher can take years to break through the conditioned mind.
love is innate

Good point. Lao Tzu only wrote because he was prevailed upon to do so, in order to leave humanity behind him.
Now he feels his duty is to return his words to their original intent. Which perfectly illustrates your point.
If Jesus ever does return, it will probably be for the same reasons: to undo the damage done by Christianity and its far too many words.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It depends. Awareness has many facets. Like one's individual cells awareness working within your body interrelated with the cumulative awareness of one's exterior surroundings outside your body.