• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you truly understand?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Can you truly understand how it is to live a religious life if you are not religious you self?

Can you truly understand why a spiritual/religious person do or dont do if you are not living that form of lifestyle you self?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Can you truly understand how it is to live a religious life if you are not religious you self?

Can you truly understand why a spiritual/religious person do or dont do if you are not living that form of lifestyle you self?
Like monastics?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Sure most people have something they are passionate about.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Can a non believer understand why someone who live a spiritual life do so? or do they not understand why someone dedicate their life to the spiritual?
Understand from a surface level - yes. Because how motivation leads to actions is a common question.

But to truly understand why these words about death are so motivating to some, someone has to share that understanding at least a little:

Rumi: When have I become less by dying?
Saint Francis:It is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Meher Baba: Being is dying by loving.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
You could try. Not saying you'll truly understand but you might be able to.And some non-religious people used to be religious so they probably do understand.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I am not sure that people can truly know whether themselves are religious, or whether anyone else is.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I don't think anyone can understand much of anything about another person unless they have walked in those same or very similar shoes. Being persecuted, being beaten, being loved unconditionally, giving birth, traveling to the third world, and more. Experience is the greatest teacher, and without that, what do we have? Some other person's opinion?

Jumi

You mean ascetics? I highly doubt anyone saying they understand without being one themselves. It's more like guessing.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You mean ascetics? I highly doubt anyone saying they understand without being one themselves. It's more like guessing.
True, only when one has gone that path one can understand it. Personally i have walked it for some times in my life, in monastery i mean. But now i live similar just from my home

PureX

Veteran Member
Can a non believer understand why someone who live a spiritual life do so? or do they not understand why someone dedicate their life to the spiritual?
I don't really see how this matters. There is much that other people understand better than I do. And there are some things I understand better than almost anyone else. Our bodies, minds, and lives are unique, and so, then, is what we "truly" understand, and what we don't.

This will not stop any of us from thinking that we understand things that we don't understand according to the 'truth' that others hold about it. But how could it be otherwise? We can only know what we know, and the truth is bigger than all of us.

Bear Wild

You can have the same experiences with the natural would without a specific religion attached.