• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you truly be atheist?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Halcyon said:
100% atheist - i.e. there is no chance that god exists. Is that belief possible?

What do you think?
Personally, when my dad once told me, "There are no atheists in foxholes," I think he made a pretty good point. It's hard for me to imagine God not existing. Sure, I was taught about God as a small child, but it's almost as if I was born believing in Him. I don't think there's anything in the world that could convince me at this point in my life that an intelligent higher power was at the helm.

I met a woman once who had lived for a number of years behind the iron curtain. She had grown up in an atheistic society and had always been taught that there was no God nor had there ever been. This woman was a practicing pediatrician when she managed to slip away from the group of people she was with at a medical conference in Germany. As soon as she had managed to disappear, she sought political asylum in Germany. Finally, she ended up in England and was eventually able to take up her profession again. She said once that there were times, when she had the life of a tiny child in her hands, that she wished more than anything that there was a higher power she could look to for assistance. She wanted that so bad.

I think most people are more than happy to believe that there is someone out there who has the power to do something for you that you can't do for yourself, someone who is infinitely good and whose knowledge and understanding of everything is absolute and perfect. I am fully convinced that the vast majority of people who call themselves atheists are really just agnostics. For whatever reason, they've had enough negative experiences with religion to make them pretty cynical. For most of them, though, I believe the time will come when they will actually recognize God in their lives and will have to admit that they were wrong.

M

Majikthise

Katzpur said:
Personally, when my dad once told me, "There are no atheists in foxholes," I think he made a pretty good point. It's hard for me to imagine God not existing. Sure, I was taught about God as a small child, but it's almost as if I was born believing in Him. I don't think there's anything in the world that could convince me at this point in my life that an intelligent higher power was at the helm.

I met a woman once who had lived for a number of years behind the iron curtain. She had grown up in an atheistic society and had always been taught that there was no God nor had there ever been. This woman was a practicing pediatrician when she managed to slip away from the group of people she was with at a medical conference in Germany. As soon as she had managed to disappear, she sought political asylum in Germany. Finally, she ended up in England and was eventually able to take up her profession again. She said once that there were times, when she had the life of a tiny child in her hands, that she wished more than anything that there was a higher power she could look to for assistance. She wanted that so bad.

I think most people are more than happy to believe that there is someone out there who has the power to do something for you that you can't do for yourself, someone who is infinitely good and whose knowledge and understanding of everything is absolute and perfect. I am fully convinced that the vast majority of people who call themselves atheists are really just agnostics. For whatever reason, they've had enough negative experiences with religion to make them pretty cynical. For most of them, though, I believe the time will come when they will actually recognize God in their lives and will have to admit that they were wrong.
I was raised christian and was one for over half of my life up until now.Worse things have happened to some of my christian friends than I have experienced and they are still christians.Nothing forced me into being atheistic except my minds ability to think beyond the religiuos gobbledygook rammed into my head from an early age.I am not cynical about life, just about god and religion.

No atheists in foxholes? Yes I've heard that tripe before,but if fear is the way to god ,you can keep it .:149:

sleezy

I am 100% athiest. There is no way a conscious entity created all that is. And all religion is blind faith. You will never see it with your own eyes until you die. until then you are blindly following some religious writing, written by a human, or listening to a priest who’s brain can not grasp the theory of the after life any better than you or me.

That is not Huxley's definition, and he's the one who coined the term. Welcome to the forums.
You might or might not enjoy the cartoon summary:
C7Z7kM0VsAAUuz6