• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can you proove there isn't a deity?

kloth

i notice some people who are 100% convinced there can't be any kind of deity. but how can you be so certain? rather than just not be so sure.
what solid proof do you have there is no chance of there being some kind of deity that maybe you are just not aware of?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
i notice some people who are 100% convinced there can't be any kind of deity. but how can you be so certain? rather than just not be so sure.
what solid proof do you have there is no chance of there being some kind of deity that maybe you are just not aware of?

I think a more useful approach is to think of something we know is made up and ask what reason we would have to consider a deity more likely than that.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
You can't prove the non-existence of anything.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

None. I also have no proof that there isn't an invisible purple dragon sitting on my desk. However, reason dictates that a belief that it exists, is unfounded.

ImprobableBeing

Where did you notice them? Dawkins wouldn't be one of them nor would any other prominent atheist or even any atheist i have ever met.

There PROBABLY is no god.

So no, the onus to provide the evidence for one relies on you until you actually have a discussion with someone who proclaims that there absolutely is no god.

ImprobableBeing

Would you mind quoting a couple of examples from these forums?

I confronted s2a on such a claim once, i forgot in what thread but i think he ran from it after that.

I told him he just shifted the burden of proof, i think he's refrained from making an absolute statement on "no-god" since then.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
i notice some people who are 100% convinced there can't be any kind of deity.

Do you? I find that hard to believe (mainly because I haven't seen anyone make that claim and I'm an atheist).

but how can you be so certain? rather than just not be so sure.

Again, I doubt you'll find many, if any, people who are 100% certain that no kind of deity exists. But I'm as certain that a theistic god doesn't exist as I am that tiny pink, flying goats don't follow my car when I drive only to disappear when I get out of the car, and for the same reasons.

kloth

You can't prove the non-existence of anything.
but if one demands proof to be convinced, then they should be able to prove it's not true. :cool:

Nor is there any need whatsoever to respect a silly attempt to pummel a straw man.
i don't understand your replies. if you got something to say then stand up and say it, no need for riddles. ;)

None. I also have no proof that there isn't an invisible purple dragon sitting on my desk. However, reason dictates that a belief that it exists, is unfounded.
but if someone actually did see a real life purple dragon, then how do you know they didn't? because you know dragons do exist. not sure if they are purplish as much as greenish. just because you make a cute type of sarcastic feed back on it, doesn't make it untrue. ;)
[youtube]n6Riq-d4W_o[/youtube]
Komodo Dragon attacking a deer. - YouTube

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
but if someone actually did see a real life purple dragon, then how do you know they didn't? because you know dragons do exist. not sure if they are purplish as much as greenish. just because you make a cute type of sarcastic feed back on it, doesn't make it true.

And just because you can't parse the meaning or point of my argument, doesn't make it cute or sarcastic, or any less apt.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
no. there is no need for that.

how do you know it's made up though? how does one know if someone else has made contact for them self or not?

When I say "something we know is made up", I'm talking about actually making it up ourselves, and we'd know it's made up by the fact it's made up. For example, take a space koala.

A space koala is a creature the size of a planet that's cute, furry, and spends most of its time asleep. By mysterious means, it can survive in the vacuum of space. It likes to eat eucalyptus but doesn't die if it doesn't get it (which is a good thing, since there isn't much eucalyptus in space). We know that the space koala is made up because I just made it up.

We can't say with perfect certainty that space koalas don't exist. The odds may be very, very low, but we can't completely exclude the possibility that there's a space koala in some unexplored corner of the universe.

Now... is there more support for the existence of God than the existence of space koalas? If there isn't, then consistency suggests we don't have to give any more credence to God than we do to space koalas.

And I don't know about you, but I consider "no more likely than a space koala" to be effectively equal to "impossible" for most purposes... even though I recognize that can't be perfectly certain that space koalas don't exist.

ImprobableBeing

It would certainly help.

Wait, i thought it was purple...

If i'm going to write this down as a new religion you have to be fecking specific on these things.

We will also need to write down the names of real places and events to people will believe us, like:

"Yesterday i was out walking, went to a local coffee house (we will get everyone to attest that i was there, that i gave a man the holy sign of the middle finger and left in the direction of the graveyard) and then i raised the dead, (here is where others will see me sitting in the graveyard talking to the invisible undead) and then i went home.

There you go, fit for a religion, complete with contemporary witnesses, historical sites and miracles.

BTW, you may call me Luxor, the god of light.

kloth

Where did you notice them? Dawkins wouldn't be one of them nor would any other prominent atheist or even any atheist i have ever met.

There PROBABLY is no god.

So no, the onus to provide the evidence for one relies on you until you actually have a discussion with someone who proclaims that there absolutely is no god.

Do you? I find that hard to believe (mainly because I haven't seen anyone make that claim and I'm an atheist).

Again, I doubt you'll find many, if any, people who are 100% certain that no kind of deity exists. But I'm as certain that a theistic god doesn't exist as I am that tiny pink, flying goats don't follow my car when I drive only to disappear when I get out of the car, and for the same reasons.

well as far as these two replies go, what can i say? if you have never heard or seen anyone in your entire life ever say they don't believe there is such thing as a deity of any kind, then what can i tell you?
for example: some people can say they have never seen a jet airliner in flight ever, and that may be seriously true for some. but i think most know better, whether they just haven't experienced it or are in denial.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
well as far as these two replies go, what can i say? if you have never heard or seen anyone in your entire life ever say they don't believe there is such thing as a deity of any kind, then what can i tell you?

Not believing that something exists and believing that something doesn't exist are far from the same thing. Understanding basic logical distinctions goes a long way in formulating meaningful questions and arguments.