• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you mark the location of the inner-core-point of this universe ?

PruePhillip

You say.. Every point in the universe is the "center." ?

Yes, every point. There is no 3d sphere ballooning outward - all points on the surface of the sphere
are the center to every other set of points. It's like putting dots on a shrunken balloon and then
inflating it - you see the dots moving apart - but in the case of the universe that's all there is - this
outer surface and nothing "inside."

Milton Platt

Considering this universe a "Big-Ball".
And, perhaps there's a possibility that this universe may have began from this inner-core-point and spread all around.

And, perhaps there's a possibility that this universe may have began from this inner-core-point and spread all around.

It would behoove you to do a little reading, but here you go:

Where Is the Center of the Universe? | Live Science

The Anointed

Not only do I hold the central point in this universe, I also hold the highest point in time

Of all the stars in heaven and the space that lays between
It's centre is the planet of my birth.
As earth's horizon stretches outward at equal distance from my throne
The I hold the central point upon the earth.
And light and sound need time to carry, all their messages to me
So my senses tell me all has run its race;
And everything that happens has happened in my past
So I hold the highest point in time and space
A primitive concept some might say, and a view that leads to sin
But perhaps we all should think this way, to discover God within.....The Anointed.

Last edited:

alsome

And then there are collisions from opposing galaxies. somewhat explaining the lack of a center. Varying co-essive entities in trillions of directions are the cause of all that.
In any way, in any direction, can the end of the Cosmos be found !

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
No. that is NOT what am asking. Please re-read my question below.

Consider every place is the center of the universe.
If so, then the empty space which is right in front of your eyes is the center of the universe.

Now, suppose that this empty space has some more layers to uncover before you could see the exact center-point.

Which is best possible way to look this center-point ? (Of course human physical eyes isn't capable going such deep)

There is no centre point.

The universe is absolutely pointless.

chinu

chinu
Well it's almost impossible,
Its possible.
In fact, this automatically happens with every person for a "moment" between sleep and awake. "Moment" is NOT even an appropriate word to define this "moment" because "NO-move" of thoughts is there in this "moment"

And yes there's an exercise to stay in this "No-move" of thoughts for longer periods.

to not think of anything for more than 5-10 seconds or so for me :D I can concentrate on it and its just all black or there is nothing, but whether that is actually not thinking about anything im not sure of.
Your doubt is correct.
Assuming that Im NOT thinking anything is also a kinda.. Thinking in itself. :D

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
But, there's nothing wrong in assuming that the empty-space which is right in front of you is the center ? perhaps it may be.
Why this can't be the possibility ?

Why do you think there is ‘something’ called empty space, which you would describe as ‘nothing’ ?

Is nothing something ?

chinu

chinu
I suspect the center point of the universe is an arbitrary designation. You could pick any point and say this is the center of the universe because any point is as good as any other, and at the same time say there is no central point to the universe.

Then again, even if you did designate a central point to the universe there may be nothing there. Again this may be a simplified understanding but the universe exists on energy it borrows from the future. That's how you get something from nothing. So the only thing we might see is the universe paying back the energy it borrowed.
Some atoms, or molecules are really small. So small, in fact, that it's impossible to see one with the naked eye, or even with the most powerful of microscopes.

How can you say that there's nothing else in that empty space ?

chinu

chinu
First you consider Hubble's discovery that everything is spreading out. All of the stars are moving away from each other, not just one direction but in all directions. Then you backwards-extrapolate when you think they would have all been in one spot. That's your big bang starting point, and its how you guess at the age of the galaxies. The derived estimate is 13.8 billion human years.
First of all, to spread things/stars out --- there needs to be an empty-space. Therefore, this empty-space was created even before this big bang happened.

What do you think is the centre of this empty-space ?

Thief

Rogue Theologian

the motion of expansion indicates a starting ...point

but to point to that point
would require an elaborate observation
complex calculation
and a known boundary of the universe .....all of it

chinu

chinu
Got to think of the universe as an expanding solid not the surface of a balloon. Everything would seem to be expanding and moving away from everything else.
There's an empty space all around.
Do you include this empty space the part of this balloon ? :)

chinu

chinu
Why do you think there is ‘something’ called empty space, which you would describe as ‘nothing’ ?

Is nothing something ?
Some atoms, or molecules are really small. So small, in fact, that it's impossible to see one with the naked eye, or even with the most powerful of microscopes.

How can you say that there's nothing in empty space ?

chinu

chinu
the motion of expansion indicates a starting ...point
Expansion where ?
First of all, motion of expansion needs an empty-space for this expansion. Therefore, this empty-space was created even before any expansion.

What do think about empty-space ? do you think that this empty-space exists by default ? :)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Expansion where ?
First of all, motion of expansion needs an empty-space for this expansion. Therefore, this empty-space was created even before any expansion.

What do think about empty-space ? do you think that this empty-space exists by default ? :)
Genesis calls it......void

just this afternoon I was watching a science topic about ...Hacking Reality

it was a discussion of blending Albert's famous equation
with quantum mechanics

unfortunately ....it rambled at great length with a lot of geometry
attempting to explain forces and motion and substance
as if such things have more than one form

kinda like discussion......what is a rock?
all the while denying the form of the rock

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
First of all, to spread things/stars out --- there needs to be an empty-space. Therefore, this empty-space was created even before this big bang happened.

What do you think is the centre of this empty-space ?
I was speaking not mystically but about measurements which humans can make. Your question was asking for such, but now I think you were merely winding me up. Was that not your intention? After all you said 'Universe' and included empty space. Its not me who set the conversation to be about empty space. and about its measurement.

As I said, there is no way to know where is the center of the universe.

Whatever your comment is about the nature of space just please spit it out.

alsome

Seems to me; that the cosmos is like a bowl of soup, without the bowl, splashing everywhere and going nowhere. Directionally, there seems to be randomicity in motion, everything is going in different directions, a lot of them are approaching collision status, pointing to some unseen center of what is supposedly the center of everything, Like the mysterious big bang ??? A lot of 'scientists' are in love with their calculations, not reality. But, a thought.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Empty space....This is considered by ancient philosophy to be chaos without form or else that which it comes from, so you may want to look into that if that interests you. The Egyptians represented this with Apophis. The Greeks had an equivalent. The Babylonians, too. They pondered how something could arise from nothing, and they did the best that they could without the advantages of Riemann, Einstein, Newton, Maxwell etc -- the accomplished physicists and mathematicians marking the end of all previous ages. In modernity people have actually begun studying what we think of as empty space and have found it not to be empty but actively filled with construction and destruction. It is filled with something called 'Virtual particles'. It sounds interestingly like what the philosophers conceived of, though they never measured it or tested for it. They flew into fantastical stories about it in an effort to try to figure it out in absence of the tools we have at our disposal.

As far as anyone can tell empty space is part of the big bang rather than previous to it and that there is no indication that 'Previous' has meaning without the big bang. Maybe it does though, and maybe there are many big bangs creating a sense of time outside of our own? Nobody can tell me.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Of course. I agree that unfortunately, there's no way to know yet if there is some kind of container or boundary at the edge of the universe.

But, Is it possible to Mark the location of the inner-core-point of this universe ?

No.

Consider the idea of the "observable universe". This is a spherical bubble with a radius of 13.7 billion lightyears. That is to say, you can "see" (assuming the proper equipment, like hubble space telescope and alike) objects upto 13.7 billion lightyears away in all directions. There, you hit the horizon. You can't see beyond that, because the light from beyond that horizon hasn't reached us.

The observer, meaning you / the telescope, stands at the center of the observable bubble.

If you move to another galaxy, this bubble will move also. At all times, you remain at the center of that observable bubble.

The universe however, is far far bigger then a space-bubble with a radius of 13.7 billion lightyears.
See, space expands at a much faster rate then the speed of light.

People tend to think that that can't be the case, because "nothing can travel faster then light". The thing is though, nothing (with mass) is travelling through space. Instead, it is space itself that expands. This expansion has no such limitations.

So even if you would try to move to the "edge" of the universe, even assuming you can travel at the speed of light, you'ld never reach it, since that edge moves away from you faster then speed of light.

So because of this, it is impossible to pinpoint "the center" of the universe. In reality, every observer always stands at the center of his/her/its spherical bubble of the observable universe.

To illustrate with an analogy.... Suppose you find yourself on a boat in the middle of a vast, vast ocean. For the sake of example, we'll assume you have no maps and zero reference points to pinpoint your exact location. In your 360° line of view, all you see is water stretching from where you stand, all the way upto the horizon. Once again, you are at the center of your "observable bubble" - with no way to pinpoint the "center" of the ocean. Simply because you have no reference points.

Moving to another place, it will look the exact same. You have your observable bubble and you can only see as far as the horizon allows you. And all that, without any reference points of where the coast is.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Could be, however if I understood it correctly (Which I might very well not have :D)

Everything will basically be the centre according to the big bang theory. So you standing on Earth will observe all other galaxies moving apart, however were you to stand on a planet in another galaxy you would observe the same thing.

So if you imagine galaxies like this:

View attachment 42561

And the red dot is Earth then everything seems to be moving apart, but if you are standing on the yellow planet, it will look exactly the same. Basically making everything the centre of the universe, which is why the big bang is not an explosion as some people mistake it for, but rather it is an expansion. Because if you reverse the arrows and collapse everything back to your perspective then Earth would be perceived as the centre, but were you to stand on the yellow that is the centre. And if that is true, then everything must basically be the centre as I see it.

At least that is how I understood it, but again might be wrong :D

Exactly. Any place where the observer finds himself, it will look like the center. Reason is because that place will BE the center of the observable universe as observed by that observer.

Another way I this illustrated once, is with a balloon.

It was inflated just a little bit and then a couple dots were drawn on it, representing galaxies or stars or whatever other celestial entities you can think of. Then the balloon is inflated once again. ALL space between ALL dots, increased as a result. And no matter on which dot the observer would find himself - from his perspective, all other dots would seem to be "moving away" from him. Eventhough the dots remain in the exact same location... It's just the balloon surface in between them that expanded.