• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you love some in a 'special' way but still be Asexual?

Would you consider them Sexual, Asexual, or not applicable in Sexual sense (other)

• Sexual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Asexual

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Raban

Hagian
Can you 'love' someone, (a living human being, regardless of race, orientation or any other factor) and still be considered asexual? I mean this in a sense where if two people love and are committed to each other, but have no will of sex, or any erotic behavior, would they be considered sexual since they are in a 'relationship' or would you consider a very deep 'friendship'? Or perhaps another way to phrase it would be if two people were to want to spend their lives with their counterpart but have no desire for sensual pleasures, should they still be considered sexual?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sure, it is possible. A couple feels whatever it does to each other. It may be sexual or it may not be.

Edited to add: Not sure how to answer the poll, though. It seems to refer to a specific example, yet I do not have access to that example.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm not asexual but I'm guessing so since asexual is only about sexual interest and not defining how a person has compassion.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't see why you couldn't love someone as special in your life, but not wish sex with them.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Can you 'love' someone, (a living human being, regardless of race, orientation or any other factor) and still be considered asexual? I mean this in a sense where if two people love and are committed to each other, but have no will of sex, or any erotic behavior, would they be considered sexual since they are in a 'relationship' or would you consider a very deep 'friendship'? Or perhaps another way to phrase it would be if two people were to want to spend their lives with their counterpart but have no desire for sensual pleasures, should they still be considered sexual?

Romanticism is beyond friendship with sex IMHO.

I ve had friendship with sex and it feels mighty different than how a romantic one feels. It was just friends, with sex.

That is way there are denominations like asexual heteroromantic, asexual biromantic, asexual homo romantic, etc.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We all love some people all the time without a sexual element, so that is obviously possible. It's also possible that two people would come to create an arrangement of any sort for their relationship, that has some similarities to that of other arrangements, while lacking one or some of the aspects, if they see benefit in doing so.

So an asexual person being in a relation similar to that of marriage or boyfriend/girlfriend kinda of thing, without having sex or any element related to it, would obviously still be an asexual, and their relation should not be defined as sexual, since there isn't any sexual element in it.

Alceste

Vagabond
Beats me. I don't think relationships that involve sex should necessarily be in a different category than those that don't. Relationships are about how we feel about each other and the boundaries we negotiate, not which bits of ourselves we stick into other people's bits (or don't, as the case may be).

I guess I think everybody's relationship is asexual except during the times they are actually having sex, which means we are all mostly asexual in our romantic relationships.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know what being asexual feels like. Apart from being able to analyze it based on definitions, I can't really answer that. If you're asexual then you may already have an answer to that, and if you're not then I'm not sure why the question would be asked.

The definition you give sounds like friends, except neither friend desires a physical relationship with other people so they're happy to live together.

The way I view relationships, in simplistic terms, there are:
a) Platonic friendship. No physical intimacy, just mutual companionship. Bros, BFFs, family relations, etc.
b) Lustful encounters or agreements. One night stands, friends with benefits, etc. Not exactly a deep emotional connection, but considerable physical attraction, intimacy, and social admiration.
c) Romantic long-term relationships. A combination of a) and b). Deep friendships combined with physical attraction. With each of a) and b), there are barriers. For a), they don't break the touch barrier much apart from hugs or pats on the back and such. There are physical barriers. For b), there are emotional barriers. They may touch physically and have sex, but not connect deeply and lastingly on an emotional, dare I say spiritual level. For c), there are few or no barriers. Their bodies and minds are shared.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The way I view relationships, in simplistic terms, there are:
a) Platonic friendship. No physical intimacy, just mutual companionship. Bros, BFFs, family relations, etc.
b) Lustful encounters or agreements. One night stands, friends with benefits, etc. Not exactly a deep emotional connection, but considerable physical attraction, intimacy, and social admiration.
c) Romantic long-term relationships. A combination of a) and b). Deep friendships combined with physical attraction. With each of a) and b), there are barriers. For a), they don't break the touch barrier much apart from hugs or pats on the back and such. There are physical barriers. For b), there are emotional barriers. They may touch physically and have sex, but not connect deeply and lastingly on an emotional, dare I say spiritual level. For c), there are few or no barriers. Their bodies and minds are shared.

Pretty solid analysis, even for a simplistic one.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!

In short, yes. Still considered Asexual in my opinion. Asexuality is pretty complex in itself and some asexuals have even experiences sexual feels towards someone after being in a relationship with them for a significant amoutn of time.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I myself am an asexual and there is a major difference from asexual and aromantic. I am both but many asexuals have "squishes" which just means a love interest but this of course means a void of sexual behavior.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think there is more to romance than just sex, so yes, a asexual couple can be in love. In a way, isn't that what best friends are? They like hanging out together but not with any kind of sexual activity.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Of course. Some people might not want to mess up a good thing with all the baggage that comes with sex.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Asexuality need not be having no sex ever; just no penatrive sex as far as I can tell. I have an asexual friend who likes foreplay, but has no interest in physical penatrive sex at all.

By the way, I think the term would be ''romantic asexual'' if they have strong emotional feelings, but little to no sexual desire. For example, a guy who is asexual, but has strong emotional feelings for other men, would be a Homo-Romantic asexual.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
For example, a guy who is asexual, but has strong emotional feelings for other men, would be a Homo-Romantic asexual.

Oh, Burt Reynolds
admire2-onion-head-emoticon.gif
. His gorgeous mustache and asexy haircut.
I'd kiss him if I met him, I hope he does not reject me.
shy-onion-head-emoticon.gif