• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you get to the highest level of heaven without being married in an LDS temple ???

rocka21

Brother Rock
I posted an extensive answer to this on another page...

Of those "great ones," in scripture, Paul included, there is only one mentioned who failed to gain his exaltation (salvation in the highest level of the highest kingdom). We can assume he "made it"/is exalted in the highest degree of glory possible. Why wouldn't he ????

A way will be provided whereby all will be exalted who want to and who meet all the necessary requirements... Paul brought us scripture, surely he is exalted in the highest kingdom and was forgiven of all his sins... LDS scriptures don't say otherwise, except in the case of David..

Davie lost his exaltation in the highest kingdom of glory because he had Uriah killed in battle, so he could take Bathsheba for his own to wife...

Here is the LDS scripture reference to back up what I just said.

Doctrine and Covenants 132: 39 (LDS scripture)
David's wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan, my servant, and others of the prophets who had the kleys of this power; and in none of these things did he sin against me save in the case of Uriah and his wife; and, therefore he hath fallen from hisexaltation,*** and received his portion; and he shall not inherit them out of the world, for I gave them unto another, saith the Lord.

***FFH footnote: Exaltation is salvation in the highest level of the highest kingdom of heaven, which is the Celestial kingdom

He was not married!

FFH

Veteran Member
How do proxy marriages work?

I can understand baptising, because that's one person, but how do you marry dead people? Do you offer a marriage to all the single people that they can use at a later date if they find the right person in heaven?
Marriages are performed in the Celestial kingdom for those we cannot do on earth, for instance those who have died in infancy or childhood, of whom there is obviously no known spouse whereby to seal them to..

Earthly temporal marriages will not be binding in any of these worlds. All will live as single individuals unless married in an LDS temple either on earth or by proxy or by some other way provided by the Lord, for instance those who have died in childhood or the mentally or physically incapable among us...

Because of the last reason mentioned, obviously there must be marriages performed in the Celestial kingdom (highest kingdom).

Celetial kingdom ~ Marriages performed (we can assume this much)
Terrestrial kingdom ~ No marriages performed (we know this much)
Telestial kingdom ~ No marriages performed (we know this much)

Aqualung

Tasty
Marriages are performed in the Celestial kingdom for those we cannot do on earth, for instance those who have died in infancy or childhood, of whom there is obviously no known spouse whereby to seal them to..
I was under the distinct impression that these marriages would happen during the millennial reign.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Earthly temporal marriages will not be binding in any of these worlds. All will live as single individuals unless married in an LDS temple either on earth or by proxy or by some other way provided by the Lord, for instance those who have died in childhood or the mentally or physically incapable among us...
Yes, but how does a dead person get married by proxy? I don't understand how it would work.

jonny

Yes, but how does a dead person get married by proxy? I don't understand how it would work.

We don't just do baptisms for the dead. After we baptise them, we also seal them to their spouse and seal the children to the parents.

FFH

Veteran Member
He was not married!
It doesn't matter !!!!

He will obviously find a wife and enter into this sacred covenant and be worthy to enter into this kingdom, the Celestial kingdom..

A way will be provided whereby all will be able to enter into this highest level of heaven, if they did not marry in this life, if they meet all the necessary requirements and were not required or could not or were not able to marry in this life...

Paul certainly had his hands full with all the Lord required of him, obviously marriage was not required of him for whatever reason, as was also the case with Jesus Christ, he being in charge of it all, he can decide who would be required to marry..

The rules can change or one can be exempt in certain cases...we see this obviously happening in scripture..

Aqualung

Tasty
Let's say me and Halcyon were dating, and then both died in a horrible car crash. Johnny performs a sealing on us. But then, in the after life, I decide I don't like Halcyon anymore and actually fall in love with Deep Shadow (who has also died). How would that work out?

(That's a hypothetical scenario I thought up that I think is a good way to rephrase Halcyon's question. Of course, I'm not Halcyon, so I could be completely wrong.)

FFH

Veteran Member
I have participated in marriages for the dead.

It's very very simple.. Marriage, birth and death records are extracted from records locally and around the world. Then these names are submitted to LDS temples locally and around the world, and for instance, my wife and I would sit across an alter from one another in an LDS temple and a person with the correct authority would marry us on behalf of those two individuals..

It's a glorious/wonderful experience. My wife and I have been sealed for many this way who have died...

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Let's say me and Halcyon were dating, and then both died in a horrible car crash. Johnny performs a sealing on us. But then, in the after life, I decide I don't like Halcyon anymore and actually fall in love with Deep Shadow (who has also died). How would that work out?
That's a good question too.

So you only seal people already in a marriage, i had the image of you randomly pairing people up and crossing your fingers that it'd work out. :eek:

jonny

(That's a hypothetical scenario I thought up that I think is a good way to rephrase Halcyon's question. Of course, I'm not Halcyon, so I could be completely wrong.)

The church wouldn't let it happen. You can't get sealed to someone unless you were already married in this life.

I would expect that everything would get sorted out during the Millenium when all the temple work is completed.

jonny

That's a good question too.

So you only seal people already in a marriage, i had the image of you randomly pairing people up and crossing your fingers that it'd work out. :eek:

There has to be a marriage record for the couple.

Aqualung

Tasty
The church wouldn't let it happen. You can't get sealed to someone unless you were already married in this life.
Let's say me and Halcyon were married. For some reason, after death, I decide we shouldn't be married anymore (but nobody living could possibly know this). Then, you come along and seal us.. I would reject this sealing, because I no longer want to be married for time and eternity. I would then wait until the millenium, come up to you and say, :slap: Doh! I wanted to be sealed to this other person. Then you would say :eek: and I would get sealed to somebody else in the millenium.

I would expect that everything would get sorted out during the Millenium when all the temple work is completed.

I guess that's as good a guess as any about how it will work out.

FFH

Veteran Member
My wife has stated the same thing, what if she finds someone better ???

Seriously she has in more subtle terms stated this...

Happiness will not be dependant on the other person providing that for you, you will be completely happy and receive a fullness of joy in the Celestial kingdom.

The Lord said to Joseph Smith, "In this life your joy is not full"....

My happiness and my wife's happiness will not be dependant upon one another, the most important thing is that we are sealed and can enter into this highest degree of the Celestial kingdom, the rest will work itself out...

We are each other's ticket in, that's all that matters, the rest of our happiness is assured and will be worked out if we really don't like each other, which we do, Satan just messes with each of our heads to try and break our marriage apart and believe me he just about did.

We can't get hung up on this life and all of it's ugliness....

This life is nothing compared to what we will experience in the life to come. Perfect bodies, perfect happiness, perfect joy unspeakable. I have felt a measure of this and it's nothing like what you would expect...

It fills your whole being and it matters not who you are married to, because we will all have perfect bodies and perfect joy no matter who we are married to..

Things are different in heaven, not like this earth...

This life is messed up, I await the next for a "fullness of joy" as promised to Joseph Smith from the Lord himself...

FFH

Veteran Member
Let's say me and Halcyon were married. For some reason, after death, I decide we shouldn't be married anymore (but nobody living could possibly know this). Then, you come along and seal us.. I would reject this sealing, because I no longer want to be married for time and eternity. I would then wait until the millenium, come up to you and say, :slap: Doh! I wanted to be sealed to this other person. Then you would say :eek: and I would get sealed to somebody else in the millenium..
The Lord will work things out for our good...

A way will be provided whereby all will marry the person of their choosing and be able to enter into the highest level of the Celestial kingdom if they meet all the necessary requirements..

Marriages in the Celestial kingdom ???? Absolutely yes, no doubt about it, but we can only assume at this point unless our doctrine state otherwise...

There are plenty of talks on this which have been given in conference...

Basically they say, "a way will be provided whereby we will experience all that we might not have experienced in this life".

That's what the next life is for, so we can experience a fullness of joy, if we meet all the necessary requirements.

We get too hung up thinking this life is the end of our choices...

Nothing is final if you make it to the Celestial kingdom, in which place there will be an "increase" in our joy, our dominions, our posterity, etc...

jonny

Let's say me and Halcyon were married. For some reason, after death, I decide we shouldn't be married anymore (but nobody living could possibly know this). Then, you come along and seal us.. I would reject this sealing, because I no longer want to be married for time and eternity. I would then wait until the millenium, come up to you and say, :slap: Doh! I wanted to be sealed to this other person. Then you would say :eek: and I would get sealed to somebody else in the millenium.

You could also work from the other side of the veil - plant a fake marriage record somewhere and hope it gets picked up and entered into the church's system. :D

FFH

Veteran Member
There clearly must be marriages in the Celestial kingdom, because we obviously can't marry those we don't have records for or for those couples in which one will be saved in the Celestial kingdom and the other not.

So these individuals must find a spouse or another spouse to marry, and be sealed to, in the Celestial kingdom...

The marriage sealings and other sealings which are performed in LDS temples will continue throughout the eternities in other worlds.

This world is not all there is, we limit God if we say this is all there is..

When Christ is present with us, there will be no need for temples, for example, during the millenium and throughout the eternities...

"Behold all things have passed away and all things are made new".

All these temples we are building will soon be destroyed, as was illustrated with the Nauvoo, Illinois temple, abandoned just 3 or 4 weeks after it was completed, and completely destroyed just a few years later, after it was used as a meat house by our enemies, if I remember right..

nutshell

There clearly must be marriages in the Celestial kingdom, because we obviously can't marry those we don't have records for or for those couples in which one will be saved in the Celestial kingdom and the other not.

So these individuals must find a spouse or another spouse to marry, and be sealed to, in the Celestial kingdom...

The marriage sealings and other sealings which are performed in LDS temples will continue throughout the eternities in other worlds.

This world is not all there is, we limit God if we say this is all there is..

When Christ is present with us, there will be no need for temples, for example, during the millenium and throughout the eternities...

"Behold all things have passed away and all things are made new".

All these temples we are building will soon be destroyed, as was illustrated with the Nauvoo, Illinois temple, abandoned just 3 or 4 weeks after it was completed, and completely destroyed just a few years later, after it was used as a meat house by our enemies, if I remember right..

I don't thing there will be marriages in the Celestial Kingdom. Marriages will occur in Paradise or not at all.

rocka21

Brother Rock
The rules can change or one can be exempt in certain cases

so why even have " RULES"? or doctrines and covenants? If they can change at any time.

it seems like LDS like to change them when you think of the possibility that Paul could not be in the highest kingdom accoring to the "rules" already established. am i wrong?

nutshell

so why even have " RULES"? or doctrines and covenants? If they can change at any time.

it seems like LDS like to change them when you think of the possibility that Paul could not be in the highest kingdom accoring to the "rules" already established. am i wrong?

Rocka, this is all speculation - people expressing their opinions. Don't get excited - you haven't found some evidence that the LDS church is wrong (and, that is what you're trying to do, isn't it?).:cool:;):rolleyes: