• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you forgive?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I can forgive, and with age I actually do forget even if I intended to remember. And now there isn't that much to forgive because I've been lucky, is all.

May you all be lucky too.... :)

Vee

Premium Member
Are you able to forgive everything?

Most things are easy enough to forgive and move on when you take in consideration that humans tend to make stupid mistakes and if we all decided to take everything face value life would be unbearable. But some things are hard if not impossible to forgive. When you think about acts of violence, abuse and so on, that's a very different story. Even if the person repents and apologizes, I recognize that the right thing to do would be to forgive them, but I'm not sure if I could. Hopeful I'll never have to find out.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If you are a god, why would you care about leagal matter on earth? Gods does not attach to human way of life, and if a God was something to be right, he or she can create it. Right?

You're not understanding the Hindu concept of God, which says God is within us, we are God, everything we see is God, because there is nothing else. Sarvam khalvidam brahma "all this [what we see and experience] is Brahman (i.e. God)".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You're not understanding the Hindu concept of God, which says God is within us, we are God, everything we see is God, because there is nothing else. Sarvam khalvidam brahma "all this [what we see and experience] is Brahman (i.e. God)".

Well i might not know all the hindu teaching, But the way i see it is that we have the ability to enlighten to Godhood or Buddhahood if we reach enlightenment, but as normal human beings we does not have the quality as a God or a Buddha. So this is why i say someone who has not cultivated up to realising enlightenment can not be called a God or Buddha

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Well i might not know all the hindu teaching, But the way i see it is that we have the ability to enlighten to Godhood or Buddhahood if we reach enlightenment, but as normal human beings we does not have the quality as a God or a Buddha. So this is why i say someone who has not cultivated up to realising enlightenment can not be called a God or Buddha

That's all very true, and notice I said "within" us. Being part of this universe we have forgotten our true nature. We must try to realize and remember what we truly are. That's enlightenment, which becomes moksha, or liberation from the cycle of rebirth.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I really did mean it when I said that "so far" I can forgive everything...and have. The real point of that, though, is that I am the clear winner for that ability, not anybody else.

It is a truth that I was a very badly battered child, nearly killed twice, and I honestly believe there was also sexual abuse, but memory can be tricky, so I couldn't swear to it. I spent years in treatment for being what was then called "a disturbed child," and it wasn't until I was somewhere around thirty that I suddenly realized that the ways in which I acted out were, in some part, a consequence of how I'd been treated.

Now, see, that realization came, and at almost the same instant, the realization that my father (who never saw my face), my mother and stepfather, and all the foster families were all "acting out" their own pasts, just as I was.

I mean this, I swear -- in that moment, I forgave everything, and none of it has ever bothered me since -- even when I got the report of my whole childhood from the Children's Aid which confirmed most of the damage done to me. The burden that was lifted from me was so immense, that I became, in some important and good way, another person.

In forgiving others, I won. Honest.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No, he's not misunderstanding. What Shantanu is talking about is not the Hindu concept of God/Brahman. Trust me, I've gone it over it with him. He's talking about something completely different.

Audie

Veteran Member
I really did mean it when I said that "so far" I can forgive everything...and have. The real point of that, though, is that I am the clear winner for that ability, not anybody else.

It is a truth that I was a very badly battered child, nearly killed twice, and I honestly believe there was also sexual abuse, but memory can be tricky, so I couldn't swear to it. I spent years in treatment for being what was then called "a disturbed child," and it wasn't until I was somewhere around thirty that I suddenly realized that the ways in which I acted out were, in some part, a consequence of how I'd been treated.

Now, see, that realization came, and at almost the same instant, the realization that my father (who never saw my face), my mother and stepfather, and all the foster families were all "acting out" their own pasts, just as I was.

I mean this, I swear -- in that moment, I forgave everything, and none of it has ever bothered me since -- even when I got the report of my whole childhood from the Children's Aid which confirmed most of the damage done to me. The burden that was lifted from me was so immense, that I became, in some important and good way, another person.

In forgiving others, I won. Honest.

That is so moving thank you so much for
taking time to tell this story.

Audie

Veteran Member
to not cling to the past

I do not "cling to the past".

I am guessing that you've had nobody inflict a deeply
traumatic life threatening experience on you.

No counselor told me that I must "forgive" or "cling".
Last freakin' thing I would want to do is cling.

You might put "imho" with what you post as "fact" or "truth".

(IMHO =in my humble opinion.)