• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you forgive?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why are some not possible to forgive?

Terrorists murdering and maiming in the name of there god.

Rape.

Injury (or worse) cased by deliberate stupidity.

Things like thay i find impossible to forgive.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The idea of civil society is to seek legal redress and until this is forthcoming I do not forgive, and remember I am God, so God does not forgive.
Umm God forgive becauase he know humans do wrong, But he only forgive when human start to do the rigth action, thoughts and speech. And no you are not a God in my eyes

Shantanu

Can i ask if you see your self as above human laws? example above the law in Great Britain?
What gave you that idea: I am God living a human life and so seek legal redress in the court. The court has to decide my fate. It has got all the choices put before it.

Shantanu

Umm God forgive becauase he know humans do wrong, But he only forgive when human start to do the rigth action, thoughts and speech. And no you are not a God in my eyes
I do not understand because Buddists do not believe in God as I understand Buddhism; correct me if I am wrong.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What gave you that idea: I am God living a human life and so seek legal redress in the court. The court has to decide my fate. It has got all the choices put before it.

If you are a god, why would you care about leagal matter on earth? Gods does not attach to human way of life, and if a God was something to be right, he or she can create it. Right?

Shantanu

If you are a god, why would you care about leagal matter on earth? Gods does not attach to human way of life, and if a God was something to be right, he or she can create it. Right?
I have to survive on this planet Earth until death: I fully intend to.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you able to forgive everything?
I wonder how many people reading this are thinking about things others have done that they should forgive? I wonder if any have turned the eye of forgiveness towards themselves, before trying to forgive others? In fact, I'd wonder if it is in fact actually possible to forgive others without forgiving yourself first? Typically, our condemnation of others is because we are doing that to ourselves, and in cursing them, we are cursing ourselves and they are the mere screen upon which we project our own self-loathings. "Love others as yourself," means you have to be able to do that to yourself first, and then you can understand what compassion and forgiveness really means in order to be able to love them with that same level of grace and forgiveness.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I wonder how many people reading this are thinking about things others have done that they should forgive? I wonder if any have turned the eye of forgiveness towards themselves, before trying to forgive others? In fact, I'd wonder if it is in fact actually possible to forgive others without forgiving yourself first? Typically, our condemnation of others is because we are doing that to ourselves, and in cursing them, we are cursing ourselves and they are the mere screen upon which we project our own self-loathings.

Yes we must first be able to forgive our self and then all the rest of the world :) Everything start with one self :) but not i in a egoistic way

Ponder This

Sometimes... it is #TooSoon.
But anything can be forgiven, even those things that you cannot imagine yourself ever forgiving.
Because the person that wakes up today is not the same person who went to sleep last night... #LiveNow

ajay0

In Hinduism, forgiveness is considered an austerity which helps develop mental equanimity and non-reactivity essential for self-awareness.

If you start fighting with almost everyone for major or minor issues, you can end up with an agitated, peaceless mind.

Forgiveness is also essential for world peace, as Napoleon stated...

"If they want peace, nations should avoid the pin-pricks that precede cannon shots." - Napoleon

Forgiveness needs a lot of understanding and awareness, and I am working on that.

Riders

Yes I can but forgiveness does not mean I need to return to the situation or the person I am forgiving if its a toxic situation.

There is a lot I can say about the Baptist churches of Tx but I know I have had bitterness and anger at them and I need to forgive I am working on it. However forgiveness does not mean I need to go back to church at a Baptist church. Some church folk have questioned me on that, you need to forgive and hey that means going back to church, no it does not , if that's a bad situation for me no ia m not going to go back.

Dekrikos Augustine

Life Person Thing

Things that have happened in the recent and distant past don't allow me to forgive.
Call it whatever you will, DNA or spirituality, it makes no difference. Bottom lines were crossed.
I don't like being an angry person, or a person who holds on to hate, but sometimes it's the only option I'll choose.

Jslim

Things in which ways are the same that I am guilty of as well, among perhaps other stipulations, as well as some things in which I am not guilty, with an effort made in applying oneself to understanding the trespasser, but I do not believe all trespasses are to be forgiven without making the matter right or recompense made to victims. We learn from paying for our sins in life at least, as life would have less meaning or purpose otherwise, and, we would have more a tendency to commit the same trespass again if they were blindly and certainly if they were repeatedly dismissed. This would otherwise promote sin.

Audie

Veteran Member
If anyone hurts me, if they come to me and apologize, I can very easily let things go.

Believe it or not, my understanding of the Scriptures, helps me in this regard.

However you came to that it makes sense.

Some things, let it go. As Buster
Scruggs put it "I dont hate my
fellow man, even when he's tiresome
and surly and tries to cheat at poker.
I figure that's just the human material,
and anyone who finds in it cause for
anger and dismay is just a fool for
expecting better."

But what does it mean to "forgive"?
Some people say it so quick, for
them it is like a way to be wonderful.

The psycho who killed someone's
kids and is leering at them in court?
"I forgive him."

Really? I dont believe it.

Someone does you wrong but
sincerely apologizes, makes it
good? Of course, forgive, but,
like with little things, and no apology,
you let it go-but dont forget.

Only a darn fool would forget.

Now, for myself, I dont harbour
grudges, plot revenge, fuss over
little things. My mind does not
find any entertainment in it.

There was someone who hurt me
very badly, physically and mentally.
Do I seeth with rage? No. There are
people like him, you get in their path it
is as impersonal as getting in the
way of an avalanch.

Forgive? Never. It makes no sense.
I have come to terms with my anger,
saying "I forgive" would change nothing,
except make me wonder why I am
being phony.

Someone else mentioned, "no
forgiving someone whoharmed
my child."

Of course not. Those who say they
could have not been tested, and
in my belief, those who say they
did forgive are just, well, darn
fools for trying to pretend.

Audie

Veteran Member
Things that have happened in the recent and distant past don't allow me to forgive.
Call it whatever you will, DNA or spirituality, it makes no difference. Bottom lines were crossed.
I don't like being an angry person, or a person who holds on to hate, but sometimes it's the only option I'll choose.

"Why" is coz you are a human being.