• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you find happiness by devoting yourself to God?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
...And is it healthy to do so?

I'll give you an example of such a devotion, Lacey Sturm's story (from Wikipedia):

20200405_232549.jpg

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I'll give you an example of such a devotion, Lacey Sturm's story (from Wikipedia):

View attachment 38574
That would depend upon what kind of happiness you are looking for, be it material happiness of spiritual happiness.

If you are looking for material happiness, I would not suggest devoting yourself to God but if you are looking for spiritual happiness I believe that devoting yourself to God is the only way to find it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Hi KAT-KAT,

A quite large number of people claim to find happiness in devoting themselves to god, and I see no reason to doubt most of them. Not anymore than I see reason to doubt most folks in the exceedingly large group of people who claim to find happiness in loving and being loved. I might question this or that specific person's claim -- if I have specific information that leads me to doubt they are happy, etc., but I can find no reason to question the notion itself that one can find happiness in devoting oneself to god. And I say that while being a non-theist.

danieldemol

Premium Member

View attachment 38574
I would say it depends on the cause of your unhapinness. If the cause is existential (ie you are not capable of providing yourself with purpose in life) then I would say yes, turning to God and service to humanity can make you happier. On the other hand if you have serious brain chemistry malfunctions, you may be in need of the chemical help available at the hands of psychiatrists. In which case turning to God alone may not be very helpful.

But I would like to point out a fallacy here, it is not necessary to give up homosexual practice to turn to God.

Kind regards :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

View attachment 38574

I would assume so. Devotion in and of itself helps a lot of people. The act of serving something or someone who knows and is more than the person devoting. Some people need that comfort of someone else watching over them etc.

I wouldn't interpret a lot of the results of their devotion has happiness as I understand it. If a belief makes you judge others they don't believe as you do-and you agree to it-than, in my opinion, it's counterproductive. Unfortunately, I can't make people see this. But in and of itself, it depends on the person.

With the homosexual story, there are a lot of people say they changed from their homosexual ways. The word doesn't mean the same as we normally would define it. So, it makes sense she'd be happy from her sex-behaviors. A lot of people who are addicted to sex or so have you are happier if the cause for their unhappiness was distraught from lust and all of that. I just wouldn't use the would homosexuality to describe it. But, in context, it makes sense. Devoting to god brings happiness to people who feel whole in their desire to serve.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Can you find happiness by devoting yourself to God?

Yes, that is one of the main spiritual paths (yoga) in Hinduism. It is called Bhakti Yoga.

From Wikipedia: Bhakti yoga, also called Bhakti marga (literally the path of Bhakti), is a spiritual path or spiritual practice within Hinduism focused on loving devotion towards a personal god.

Also gurus I respect tell us that Bhakti Yoga in this age is the easiest and often most successful path for the average person. Eventually (perhaps not in one lifetime) there is mergence into that god form in the higher non-dual=Advaita (God and creation are not-two) Hindu philosophical school.

Having a sense of purpose is often an important component of happiness, and religion can provide that for some people.

Also, rituals can provide a sense of structure, and many people like to have structure and can't function well without it.

It really depends on what you believe devotion to god entails, and how this matches with you personally.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am sorry to say that I know many suicides of devotees of God..across the board of religions.:(
Yes. It's unfortunate this goes so widely and typically ignored, brushed under the rug and swept aside so people can go about believing religion only leads to good, positive things. This really needs to end, because for many devoting their life to god was the source of trauma.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That would depend upon what kind of happiness you are looking for, be it material happiness of spiritual happiness.

If you are looking for material happiness, I would not suggest devoting yourself to God but if you are looking for spiritual happiness I believe that devoting yourself to God is the only way to find it.

I see both are available.

Abdu'lbaha says even in the greatest times of tests, they were always happy and made light of all the bad times.

Regards Tony

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 38574

To answer the question in your title, -I- cannot find happiness by devoting myself to any god.

However, I've seen evidence that others do, and it appears it's been healthy for them to do so.

Jedster

Yes. It's unfortunate this goes so widely and typically ignored, brushed under the rug and swept aside so people can go about believing religion only leads to good, positive things. This really needs to end, because for many devoting their life to god was the source of trauma.

In the cases I know of, the persons were trying to reach unreachable goals, usually interpreted from books(scripture)or more commonly from leaders/preachers who were believed to be holy in some way(manisfestations/incarnations).

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Another case of mistaking joy for happiness. Happiness comes from within; you can choose to be happy or unhappy. No one or no thing can make you happy or unhappy. However, people can say or do things that you can decide to be happy or unhappy about.
Joy, OTOH, comes from without. You need an external action, something outside yourself, to become joyous.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In the cases I know of, the persons were trying to reach unreachable goals, usually interpreted from books(scripture)or more commonly from leaders/preachers who were believed to be holy in some way(manisfestations/incarnations).
Mine was more that the Fundamentalist Southern Baptist church is unreasonable--especially if you're LGBT--am it's filled with the finest examples of Christians that has given Christians as an enite group a veru poor reputation. It was so bad for me I dont even like going to UU services today because they are too Protestant for my liking.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

View attachment 38574
i knew a woman who broke up with her girlfriend and married. her motivation was to have children. love is a strange thing. like i told another, it comes like a thief in the night, it makes fools out of logical people, it turns two into oneness at times.

or as a chinese philosopher mencius said, friendship is two bodies being of one mind.