• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you feel its pain?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I never really thought too hard about trees in our environment. I'm always outside somewhere. I guess I took it for granted and that some, not all, feel the same either because it's their job or just maybe because one lives in the city.

A couple weeks ago I came from my home and saw a huge building size ditch surrounded by woods and townhouses (old) on either side. There's a park tucked away where you'd have to stumble upon it in its own utopia.

Yesterday, I saw them pulling up trees and now they all lay in big clumps with a lot more to go.

I stood there watching them and felt a pang in chest. I could actually feel the trees' pain.

I can't blame it on society. I'm sure many people feel similar from one degree to another. But I find that's one job I wouldn't go into. I can't imagine uprooting something I consider alive.

I kinda get why some say nature has its own spirits (animism). I considered myself that once. With this feeling, I'd probably say I am. It's sad.

Can you feel its pain.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I never really thought too hard about trees in our environment. I'm always outside somewhere. I guess I took it for granted and that some, not all, feel the same either because it's their job or just maybe because one lives in the city.

A couple weeks ago I came from my home and saw a huge building size ditch surrounded by woods and townhouses (old) on either side. There's a park tucked away where you'd have to stumble upon it in its own utopia.

Yesterday, I saw them pulling up trees and now they all lay in big clumps with a lot more to go.

I stood there watching them and felt a pang in chest. I could actually feel the trees' pain.

I can't blame it on society. I'm sure many people feel similar from one degree to another. But I find that's one job I wouldn't go into. I can't imagine uprooting something I consider alive.

I kinda get why some say nature has its own spirits (animism). I considered myself that once. With this feeling, I'd probably say I am. It's sad.

Can you feel its pain.

I'm sorry, for you and your tree friends. :( Its really hard to be a witness to.

At my old house, there was a mini forest behind the house, on city property. One day, the city just started tearing it all down. I bawled. It wasn't right. The trees had been there for so long; many were quite aged. Why take them? They hadn't hurt anything... they made an important ecosystem for so many creatures.. All gone because of some code or the other. How I grieved for those lost trees... The animals and insect life had nowhere to go. For those of us with houses connected to the area, we could see the balance had been truly upset....

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Can you feel its pain.
I fully agree with you on this, and yes i feel the nature both its goodness and its pain.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If we try we can feel the pain of vegetation. See the difference between a healthy and a damaged plant. Hindus have known it for 2,000 years at least - Vyadha Gita (The story of the pious Butcher, Bhagawat Purana).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Can you feel its pain.
One of the first and foremost lessons taught and experienced is that life is pain. First thing newborns get? A slap by the doctor. Well at least in the old days.
Why Do Doctors Slap Newborn Babies? - Newborn Baby Zone *grin*

It's just one of those things that are unavoidable yet at the same time necessary to keep things from going too far out of balance and provides an opportunity for others to benefit.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you feel its pain.

In a literal sense? No more than I can physically feel the pain of another person being injured.

What I feel is a different type of disturbing disruption in my connection to it that is difficult to put into words. Almost like a small part of me being ripped away, so much so that it manifests physically as a display of emotional distress.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In a literal sense? No more than I can physically feel the pain of another person being injured.

What I feel is a different type of disturbing disruption in my connection to it that is difficult to put into words. Almost like a small part of me being ripped away, so much so that it manifests physically as a display of emotional distress.
I think pain differs from species to species. I think It's bad for us because we evolved with pain receptors.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There's a term for (rather) feeling others pain as if it were yours.

Synesthesia is a phenomenon that occurs when sensory information in one cognitive pathway causes a sensation through another cognitive pathway. Pain synesthesia is a form of synesthesia that causes a person to experience pain when seeing pain empathetic eliciting stimuli. Synesthesia - Wikipedia.

A brain anomaly can make the saying "I know how you feel" literally true in hyper-empathetic people who actually sense that they are being touched when they witness others being touched. Study: People Literally Feel Pain of Others | Live Science

Physiological and psychological responses induced by expressing empathy with others - PubMed. I tried to post the full study but it was either a paywall or it wouldn't post here. Said error for some reason.

I read awhile back that when we see someone else experience physical or emotional pain, we tend to mirror their experience. Take a horror movie. Someone's finger chopped off and we flinch. People have different levels of empathy and most it's also physiological as well.

I haven't read it studied for non humans but it does put empathy in perspective.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
One of the first and foremost lessons taught and experienced is that life is pain. First thing newborns get? A slap by the doctor. Well at least in the old days.
Why Do Doctors Slap Newborn Babies? - Newborn Baby Zone *grin*

It's just one of those things that are unavoidable yet at the same time necessary to keep things from going too far out of balance and provides an opportunity for others to benefit.

Funny, I thought they still did that today. Hm.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It's a profound sense of empathy manifested physiologically and psychologically. We're not being inflicted by pain from an outside source, and our body doesn't really tell the difference given it experiences it nonetheless.