• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you eat meat and be Buddhist ?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram diciple ji

Is vegetarianism a requirement in Buddhism?

one may be a Buddhist with differing levels of comittment , ....

The lay prātimokṣa consists of five vows that are also known as the Five Śīlas:

1. To refrain from killing.
  2. To refrain from stealing.
  3. To refrain from false speech.
  4. To refrain from sexual misconduct.
  5. To refrain from using intoxicants.

One is not obliged to take all five vows. The commentaries describe seven types of lay followers:

1. Promising to keep just one vow.
  2. Promising to keep certain vows.
  3. Promising to keep most of them.
  4. Promising to keep all five.
  5. Keeping all five and also promising to keep the pure conduct of avoiding sexual contact.
  6. Keeping all five, pure conduct, and wearing robes with the promise to behave like a monk or a nun.
  7. Lay follower of mere refuge. This person is unable to keep the vows but he promises to go for refuge to the triple gem until death....(quoted from wickipedia)

however monks and nuns take in between 250 and 365 vows , ....many Mahayana traditions inturpret the first Sila ''To refrain from Killing , to nececitate vegetarianism , ....so in these traditions yes it is a requirement for monks and nuns in these traditions , for lay persons it is voluntary , ....

ratikala

Istha gosthi
"To practice nonviolence, first of all we have to practice it within ourselves. In each of us, there is a certain amount of violence and a certain amount of nonviolence. Depending on our state of being, our response to things will be more or less nonviolent. Even if we take pride in being vegetarian, for example, we have to acknowledge that the water in which we boil our vegetables contains many tiny microorganisms. We cannot be completely nonviolent, but by being vegetarian, we are going in the direction of nonviolence. If we want to head north, we can use the North Star to guide us, but it is impossible to arrive at the North Star. Our effort is only to proceed in that direction." Thich Nhat Hanh

Osal

A common fifth excuse on

Here's part of the problem. Excuse? How about reason instead? Excuse implies that someone got caught doing something wrong. Your statement implies that a meat diet is wrong. That how it is?

I can give you plenty of reasons. I don't need to make excuses.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Last edited by a moderator:

Osal

So you simply don't care then? You just want meat on your plate and you're not concerned about how it gets there?

Are you aware that Right Intention is a path factor in Buddhism, and that it includes a commitment to non-violence, or harmlessness, towards other living beings?
Noble Eightfold Path - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't rely on wikipedia for path guidance. Do you?

You seem to be dancing around simply coming out with a complete condemnation of both eating meat and those that do. Why why all the passive aggressive BS. Tell us how you really feel.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
You seem to be dancing around simply coming out with a complete condemnation of both eating meat and those that do. Why why all the passive aggressive BS. Tell us how you really feel.

I think that choosing to buy meat when alternatives are available is questionable for somebody who is developing Right Intention. It also seems hypocritical in the sense that if you buy meat you are expecting somebody else to do the butchery, which is Wrong Livelihood.

If you don't agree then please drop the point-scoring and explain why.

Osal

Questionable? Your attitude throughout this whole thread has been questionable. So perhaps you should be dealing with your own intention rather than browbeating others for what the choose to eat.

And I don't look to people I meet online for path guidance, either.

Osal

The only "argument" that need be addressed is the Op and thats if it's ok to be a Buddist and eat meat. However, seeing as we've gone off on a tangent were the character of meat eaters is question, it's perfectly fine to shine a little light on their detractors as well. Turnabout is fair play.