• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you eat meat and be Buddhist ?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Buddha doesn't care what you eat. Neither did Jesus.
You're right.

5d572705-5664-4d6b-85e5-190df0a91ba2_zpsgizzrewm.png

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Von bek ji

Believe it or not, I try to eat vegetarian most of the time. I cannot remember the last time I bought meat from the store to bring home to cook. In fact, I cook very little at home and when I do it usually involves pasta. I try to eat as little as I can get away with without feeling nauseated. But, I am flexible and will eat meat if that is what is being served. I was a strict vegetarian for about three years. I broke my meat fast after having some dental work and realizing that my body was in desperate need of protein...

I am a little worried that you are feeling nausiated , ...and you are feeling that you might lack protein , .....personaly I follow a very Indian Diet , ...eating a combination of Rice (brown) and a Dal gives a complete protein and plenty of minerals and vitimins then served with a couple of vegetable side dishes , ....some dal are so rich in proteins that you must only eat them sparingly , ..there is no reason for a vegetarian especialy in the west to be under nourished in any way , ....although it is common in the west to eat in an unballanced diet , either by eating too much wheat and sugars or by eating too many refined or over processed foods .

we allways keep Buckwheat noodles in the cupbord for emergancies when there isnt enough time to cook (and being vegan some soft soya cheese to go with the noodles and a few simple vegetables , it is absolutely yummy), ...(soya cheese and soya youghort , is about the only processed food we buy, but try to eat sparingly )

I must admit that occasionaly I feel a little sickly in the late morning but for some strange reason (and no one yet has put a finger in it as to why ?) if I eat something salty that usualy ballances it up , ...but it often happens if I've eaten sweet things mid morning ??? we tend to eat lunch late so we have a mid morning tea and biscuits to keep us going , ...I think if truth be known the problem is we should be eating lunch earlier , ...

For any one worried about their diet please read the Ayurveda and make sure that you understand your body type , that way you can easily follow a pure Satvic diet all you need do is ballance the foods that are suited to your body , this will also be very helpfull for ones meditation as when ones body is physicaly well ballanced there will be less disruption within ones meditation .

Today, I had tomato soup and sweet potato chips for lunch. For dinner, I just finished eating a veggie fajita taco with some corn chips.

I am sure if you want to add more protein you can add chick pea / lentil like falafal balls in the takos , you can easily make them at home in large batches and freeze them ready to cook quickly if needs be , and you can add a litke ground rice to complete the protein , .....

although we dont have a lot of money we still eat very well because all of these ingredients are so much cheaper than meat and pre prepaired foods .

have a good lunch , ....:p ...(tibetans allways stick their tongues out , its a freindly jesture)

von bek

namaskaram Von bek ji

I am a little worried that you are feeling nausiated , ...and you are feeling that you might lack protein , .....personaly I follow a very Indian Diet , ...eating a combination of Rice (brown) and a Dal gives a complete protein and plenty of minerals and vitimins then served with a couple of vegetable side dishes , ....some dal are so rich in proteins that you must only eat them sparingly , ..there is no reason for a vegetarian especialy in the west to be under nourished in any way , ....although it is common in the west to eat in an unballanced diet , either by eating too much wheat and sugars or by eating too many refined or over processed foods .

I am not saying I eat meat to prevent feeling nauseated, I am saying I try to eat as little as I can without feeling bad. (Such as being nauseated.) My purpose for eating is to stave off hunger and have enough energy to function at a good level. I try not to eat simply because I am craving a pleasant taste. Unfortunately, I do sometimes eat for enjoyment. THAT is something I want to minimize. As a Buddhist, I should not torture my body; but, it is also wrong action to indulge sensual pleasure, even for something seemingly benign like a chocolate cake!

I must admit that occasionaly I feel a little sickly in the late morning but for some strange reason (and no one yet has put a finger in it as to why ?) if I eat something salty that usualy ballances it up , ...but it often happens if I've eaten sweet things mid morning ??? we tend to eat lunch late so we have a mid morning tea and biscuits to keep us going , ...I think if truth be known the problem is we should be eating lunch earlier , ...

Have you spoken to a doctor about this? I know you are vegan; but, whenever I feel a little sickly, sometimes drinking milk helps my stomach immensely. Maybe soy or rice milk would help you similarly? Just an idea.

I am sure if you want to add more protein you can add chick pea / lentil like falafal balls in the takos , you can easily make them at home in large batches and freeze them ready to cook quickly if needs be , and you can add a litke ground rice to complete the protein , .....

Oh, I love chickpeas! There is an awesome grocery store across the street from me that caters to organic and vegetarian tastes. (Though they do sell meat as well. Meat that is taken from farms where no antibiotics are used.) They have a hot bar with great food in it everyday. Thursdays are Indian food, which means really good chickpeas! There is a good chance I will stop in there after work.

have a good lunch , ....:p ...(tibetans allways stick their tongues out , its a freindly jesture)

Thanks.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram von bek ji

I am not saying I eat meat to prevent feeling nauseated, I am saying I try to eat as little as I can without feeling bad. (Such as being nauseated.) My purpose for eating is to stave off hunger and have enough energy to function at a good level. I try not to eat simply because I am craving a pleasant taste. Unfortunately, I do sometimes eat for enjoyment. THAT is something I want to minimize. As a Buddhist, I should not torture my body; but, it is also wrong action to indulge sensual pleasure, even for something seemingly benign like a chocolate cake!

if you are going to eat you might as well enjoy it , but there is a great differnce between 'Santosha' , contemtment and an attatchment to sence gratification ...making one self eat unapitising food just for nourishment just incase one enjoyed it , would be like self mortivication , .....not nececary :p

Buddha did teach a middle way path , ....as long as one dosent become over indulgent about ones food I dont see a problem , .... we eat simply but we also enjoy the simple diet we have chosen , ....there is nothing wrong in that infact when one happily enjoys the good things one has in this life it encourages us to feel gratitude and to be aware of our good fortune , ...this is something which often encourages contemtment and the tendancy to share that good fortune with others , .....

Have you spoken to a doctor about this?
I did mention it but they dont seem the slightest bit worried about it , .....

any thing salty seams to work , .....so I allways keep salty nuts in my bag just incase

I know you are vegan; but, whenever I feel a little sickly, sometimes drinking milk helps my stomach immensely. Maybe soy or rice milk would help you similarly? Just an idea.

this is what I mean about ballancing ones Dosha's milk will work for one person , something salty or sour for another , I am more vata in body type so this salt , thing is not so surprising , ......

some where ages ago I found a good on line survey to vork out your Dosha , or dosha ballance , If I can find it again I will post it , ....
Oh, I love chickpeas! There is an awesome grocery store across the street from me that caters to organic and vegetarian tastes. (Though they do sell meat as well. Meat that is taken from farms where no antibiotics are used.) They have a hot bar with great food in it everyday. Thursdays are Indian food, which means really good chickpeas! There is a good chance I will stop in there after work.

Thanks.

nice , we are having chick peas tonight also , ..... dont know what with yet , ...but I will soon find out :p

von bek

namaskaram von bek ji

if you are going to eat you might as well enjoy it , but there is a great differnce between 'Santosha' , contemtment and an attatchment to sence gratification ...making one self eat unapitising food just for nourishment just incase one enjoyed it , would be like self mortivication , .....not nececary :p

Buddha did teach a middle way path , ....as long as one dosent become over indulgent about ones food I dont see a problem , .... we eat simply but we also enjoy the simple diet we have chosen , ....there is nothing wrong in that infact when one happily enjoys the good things one has in this life it encourages us to feel gratitude and to be aware of our good fortune , ...this is something which often encourages contemtment and the tendancy to share that good fortune with others , .....

Great points. I do need to be more mindful about avoiding mortification of my body. It is easy to swing too far in the wrong direction when trying to minimize sensual pleasure.

this is what I mean about ballancing ones Dosha's milk will work for one person , something salty or sour for another , I am more vata in body type so this salt , thing is not so surprising , ......

some where ages ago I found a good on line survey to vork out your Dosha , or dosha ballance , If I can find it again I will post it , ....

If you do come across it, please share with me! You can post it here or send me a PM....

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram von bek ji

Great points. I do need to be more mindful about avoiding mortification of my body. It is easy to swing too far in the wrong direction when trying to minimize sensual pleasure.

just a thought , ...how about registering that sensual pleasure is there , as in allowing one self to accknowledge appreciation , ...but simply not attatching to it .

that way if we offer you chocolate cake on your birthday you can accept it with a smile , what is to be avoided is craving it every day , ....

the sun is out today , ...I canot help but feel happy , ...:p

von bek

namaskaram von bek ji

just a thought , ...how about registering that sensual pleasure is there , as in allowing one self to accknowledge appreciation , ...but simply not attatching to it .

Of course. Part of successfully overcoming attachment is being honest that it is present within the mind. It doesn't last, it only arises due to causes and conditions. When those causes disappear...

I used to smoke cigarettes. Smoked for 20 years, as of the end of this August, it will have been two years since I smoked my last. Being mindful of my cravings has been key in helping me quit.

Osal

you are shameless

You're not telling me anything I don't already know.

...and attatched to sence gratification , if a true buddhist acepts meat it is to sustain the body no more no less , to joke that there will be more meat for you is in poor taste , ....

I like jokes thaat are in poor taste. Always have. Karma, I guess.

Guilt just implies that one recognises ones actions to have caused harm , ...

I understyand that quite well. Better that most, too, I'd say. I was raised in an environment where hunting and fishing was taught. I was taught to kill and prepare my own food before I learned to drive. I have held and animal in my hands and felt it's last heartbeat. Ihave ended the life of a wounded animal with my bare hands. I have heard a dying animal's death-rattle, at my hand. I have had the blood of an animal I shot and killed, clear up to my elbows and all over my face. I know what the consequences are. For something to live something else must die. I feel no guilt.

EDIT: I also understand the full weight of the karmic burden I carry, and that nothingI choose to eat, or not, will alter that one smidgen. I accept that.

I rejoice in that being a Buddhist has nothing whatsoever to do with diet. If it did, I would have literally no hope for enlightenment in this life.

I may, at some point, give up meat, but I'll guarantee you that guilt will never figure into that decision.

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
When the Dali Llama visits Perth he eats steaks, so it can not be an issue for all Buddists.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
When the Dali Llama visits Perth he eats steaks, so it can not be an issue for all Buddists.

Tibetan Buddhists apparently have a tradition of eating meat due to the difficulty of growing crops in the mountains of Tibet, at least that's what I was told by Tibetan Buddhists in the UK. So I would say to them: "Yes, but we're in the UK and there's a supermarket round the corner which sells a wide range of non-meat products." ;)

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Tibetan Buddhists apparently have a tradition of eating meat due to the difficulty of growing crops in the mountains of Tibet, at least that's what I was told by Tibetan Buddhists in the UK. So I would say to them: "Yes, but we're in the UK and there's a supermarket round the corner which sells a wide range of non-meat products." ;)
That's a great point. I would imagine that in some environments vegetarianism would be impractical.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
That's a great point. I would imagine that in some environments vegetarianism would be impractical.

Yes, in a few cases. I've noticed that people come up with all sorts of weird and wonderful reasons why they can't stop eating meat though. ;)
The sub-text seems to be "I feel a bit guilty about eating meat but I really enjoy it, so I'll come up with an excuse for carrying on."

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Yes, in a few cases. I've noticed that people come up with all sorts of weird and wonderful reasons why they can't stop eating meat though. ;)
When I was self sufficient it would have been the difference between life and death. Sure, rich city people have choices.

Osal

what are the concequences ?
Well, one consequence is that I have to endure vegetarians, vegans, straight edgers, trying to guilt - trip me into doing someting that i don't want to do.

But seriously, the reult is karma. Inescapable, persisting, encumbering.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram osal ji

Well, one consequence is that I have to endure vegetarians, vegans, straight edgers, trying to guilt - trip me into doing someting that i don't want to do.

But seriously, the reult is karma. Inescapable, persisting, encumbering.

dosent look like any of us need to apply the pressure , ...you seem to be allready aware of the impilcations , if there is a guilt trip of any kind it is not down to those that tell you a simple truth , ..it is more likely that the Guilt trip is dovn to your own conception , .........but for the benifit of any one else reading , ...any one who continues to act in an un nececarily harmfull way , and who is in full knowledge of the severity of his actions , will suffer far more severe a reaction than some one who commits such deeds through need or through ignorance .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Bunyip ji

according to the tibetan tradition meat eating as has been mentioned is permissable due to the unavaiability of a good suply of vegetables in tibet , ....Apparently when the Dalai lama came out into India he did take to a vegetarian diet for a whille , but his physicians advised him that he needed the meat diet that he was used to due to the fact that he had suffered liver damage due to jaundice , he was in very bad health when he escaped to India , this I think was agravated buy the cobitions the escape party endured whilst fleeing fron the Chinese .

this is no defence on my part of his actions , ......just facts as I understand them , ...