• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you distinguish real biblical verses from machine generated ones?

Philip Maymin

I'm running a fun survey to test machine learning on the Old Testament. It's ten random verses and you have to decide if each one is more likely to be real, or more likely to be fake, meaning, generated by a computer that has learned from the original text. The survey is anonymous and fun! Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Wolfram Cloud

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm running a fun survey to test machine learning on the Old Testament. It's ten random verses and you have to decide if each one is more likely to be real, or more likely to be fake, meaning, generated by a computer that has learned from the original text. The survey is anonymous and fun! Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Wolfram Cloud
Interesting! I got 8 out of 10. Some of the fake verses were easy to identify because grammatically they didn't make sense. The Bible translation you used is not what im used to (was it a Jewish translation?) so that made it a little tougher than I think it would've been otherwise.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Wolfram Cloud

The link wouldn't load for me but never mind, welcome to RF

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
6 out of 10, but it's been about 35 years since I've read the Bible cover to cover, and these verses are different translations from the version I read.

...and I'm not an Abrahamic. :)

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Wolfram Cloud
You correctly identified 7 out of the 10 sentences.
You correctly identified 5 out of the 6 sentences that were from the Bible.
You correctly identified 2 out of the 4 sentences that were not from the Bible.
You said it was from the Bible You said it was not from the Bible
Actually from the Bible 5 1
Actually not from the Bible 2 2

Although, to be fair, Old Testament stuff isn't really what Christians spend most of their time on.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
9 out of 10. Oh no I missed one. It was a verse from the Bible, but I thought it probably wasn't. What got me was the choice of scripture version, and I couldn't identify the context.