• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you be theistic without being religious?

gnostic

The Lost One
From what I understand about buddhism, you can be religious without being theistic. Can the reverse be true?

Who are these people?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Sure, why not? I imagine some misotheists (people who believe a God exists but that He/She/It is malevolent) would fall under that category. As Tathagatha pointed out, Deism would also fit.

gnostic

The Lost One
where is god said:
You can believe in rebirth but no god, but that's not really what you are asking...

No.

I wanted to know those who believe in the existence of god or gods, yet they don't have religion or they are not religious.

gnostic

The Lost One
tathagatha said:
Yes, it's called Deism.

"in the philosophy of religion is the standpoint that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that a supreme being created the universe. Further the term often implies that this supreme being does not intervene in human affairs or suspend the natural laws of the universe."

Thank you, tathagatha.

I understand that the deists don't have organised religion, but people don't always require to belong to organisation, to have personal religion. In another word, you can be religious without being in a religion.

So does it mean that they (deists) also don't worship this supreme being?

free spirit

From what I understand about buddhism, you can be religious without being theistic. Can the reverse be true?

Who are these people?

Religion is men made and there is a smorgasbordout in the world, you only have to swallow what they say. The devil like man is a religious being and many of men's ideas about religion come from him. Therefore if you have been a religious person for a long time and sin is still in your life you belong to the Devil whitout knowing it.

On the other hand if you live your life according to the gospel of holyness you are acceptable to God, even more so if you confess Jesus as Lord.

God doen't want us to be religious, He wants us to have a holy attitude towards one another.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Who are these people?

You most certainly can be a theist without being religious. Theism is the belief in God while religion is the following of doctrine and dogma, etc. I have found most of the more "religious" people to be less faithful. They care more about following the rules than they do about God.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
You can never make a generalization when it comes to religion.

True. Thing is, none of the major religions, and none of the minor ones that I'm aware of, teach this.

But you're right, it's logically fallacious to assume that this lack of seeing one automatically means one doesn't exist.