• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you be both Liberal and Traditional.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
I Hold what many in the Anglican/Church Of England would coonsider very Liberal views. At the same time I hold Many other preferences which are towards the Anglo Catholic side of the Church of England. Especially in having the Holy Communion as the centre of worship.

Do other Liberal leaning Christians hold what might be thought of by others as split beliefs?

Terry

Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.
I suppose I'd be one of those, as I belong to an "emergent" Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian church. We tend to be "liberal" in theology and social attitudes.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
I just noticed how old this thread is! In 2009, when I last posted in it, I said I believed in inerrancy and was with Assemblies of God. Neither are true anymore.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
It's a phenomenon that cannot be quickly summarized. It's not a specific church, more like a movement that crosses all denominational boundaries, but those in it don't usually call it a movement, but rather a conversation. Authors like Brian McLaren, Rob Bell and Donald Miller are part of it, and the best introduction to it is probably to read something by them.

Emerging church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I Hold what many in the Anglican/Church Of England would coonsider very Liberal views. At the same time I hold Many other preferences which are towards the Anglo Catholic side of the Church of England. Especially in having the Holy Communion as the centre of worship.

Do other Liberal leaning Christians hold what might be thought of by others as split beliefs?
I think that many of the progressive ideas you hold can be referenced in Bible scriptures, but I think that as an Anglican you have a large amount of traditional conversation to manage along with that. You approach this subject of Liberal Christianity holistically, bringing with you all of the church father literature, the dialogues, philosophy, arguments, centuries of pleadings etc. Then you also want to unify all the Catholics (and also the other Christians). You've got it all to carry, tons of provisions that are also heavy provisions.

I like the present form of the wikipedia article that Izdaari just posted. Especially this part:
Emerging Christians began to challenge the modern church on issues such as: institutional structures, systematic theology, propositional teaching methods, a perceived preoccupation with buildings, an attractional understanding of mission, professional clergy, and a perceived preoccupation with the political process and unhelpful jargon ("Christian-ese").[35] As a result, some in the emerging church believe it is necessary to deconstruct modern Christian dogma. One way this happens is by engaging in dialogue, rather than proclaiming a predigested message, believing that this leads people to Jesus through the Holy Spirit on their own terms.
That emergent impulse is one that probably appears from time to time, History repeating. Its the prophet in the town shouting doom. Somebody has seen the plight of the evangelical child, the superstitious Mexican miner or the guilt-written divorced. Someone sees that a lamb has wondered off by itself. That's you -- someone who has seen a need, but suddenly you are like a poor man trying to get justice. It takes your whole life to try to get your complaint heard. There are so many happy people who just don't perceive any problems.

EverChanging

I have tended to be very traditional on so many issues so much so that most Catholics have thought I'm very conservative. I have major issues with so much of what is modern in the church. But I'm also liberal on so many other things, usually gender issues and sexuality but it goes much deeper than that. My philosophical assumptions about the world are just different.

Right now I'm kind of in a weird place and thinking of going back to the Anglican Church which I left because of theological issues but I'm re-thinking because the more I study and pray the more I think I'm probably an eclectic. Eclectic in terms of Christian belief and practice, and in some ways I'm on the edges of Christianity. I do not believe everyone should be a Christian let alone a Catholic. I have a big problem with that belief. I also have major issues with how the Church (and not just the Catholics) seem more concerned about social control and domination for the sake of power but piously speak about "justice." Sometimes I'm left wondering just whose justice they're talking about! I have been treated so badly in Catholicism by my priest and became so neurotic I'm just not sure this is where God really wanted me to be after all.

I don't know, it seems like I've been trying to "fit in" to some niche of Christianity and that's just not to be. I need to let go of that and follow my conscience and faith. That's what it all comes down to. None of these sects can prove themselves to be the absolute truth objectively if such even exists. I have issues with all religion including Anglicanism but I think I'd have the freedom to breathe a little easier.

Noa

I know I am late to this thread. Hopefully it is not considered a necropost or something.

But yes, I absolutely think there can be a combination of so-called liberal beliefs and traditional practice or mindset. I have met several people that way. This is actually rather common in certain Lutheran and Episcopalian denominations. Relatively liberal theology combined with traditional worship and consideration of the sacraments.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I know I am late to this thread. Hopefully it is not considered a necropost or something.

But yes, I absolutely think there can be a combination of so-called liberal beliefs and traditional practice or mindset. I have met several people that way. This is actually rather common in certain Lutheran and Episcopalian denominations. Relatively liberal theology combined with traditional worship and consideration of the sacraments.
I agree, and fear that progress will go too far and destroy everything is pretty backward. It is like fearing to cut the tall grass around your place because you might get bitten by a snake.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
This thread seems to have had a late rebirth...
Since I started it, some Ten years ago, the Anglican church has been somewhat transformed, especially in terms of the importance of women in the church, and the appointment of women Bishops.
There is also a far greater variety in the ways ordained ministers can serve, other than as a traditional vicar. There are far more non stipendiary ministers and those working part time between the work place and ministry.

If any thing the divisions and styles of worship and belief have become more pronounced, especially on matters of sexuality. Where the mainy african churches are far behind the rest of the Anglican comunity.

Noa

There indeed has been a lot occurring in the last ten years for several denominations. In my area, the dominant Lutheran domination, Episcopalians, and Presbyterians are all affirming in their theology and have very accepting views. Others, such as United Methodists, are under a threat of fracturing over issues such as gay marriage and ordination.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I was involved in the Quakers for several years and this tendency seemed to be quite common.
I have only visited one Quaker meeting one time, but it appears that they are mainly a service organization not a church. Is that too far off? It seems like other than having a silent meeting they then focus on canned food drives etc. I guess its off topic for me to ask that.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I have only visited one Quaker meeting one time, but it appears that they are mainly a service organization not a church. Is that too far off? It seems like other than having a silent meeting they then focus on canned food drives etc. I guess its off topic for me to ask that.

They do have a hierarchy and a lot of bureaucracy. ;)

David1967

Premium Member
I just noticed how old this thread is! In 2009, when I last posted in it, I said I believed in inerrancy and was with Assemblies of God. Neither are true anymore.

My views have changed on several things since 2009 as well.