• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you be born evil?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If I understand your question: I vote no. Babies start out innocent.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Not so sure. I've got a nephew in Kindergarten that has already being measured for an orange jumpsuit. Among other things, his rap sheet includes multiple foul language reprimands, snipping off the hair of a classmate with his safety scissors, and urinating (head to toe) on a classmate during recess.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Not so sure. I've got a nephew in Kindergarten that has already being measured for an orange jumpsuit. Among other things, his rap sheet includes multiple foul language reprimands, snipping off the hair of a classmate with his safety scissors, and urinating (head to toe) on a classmate during recess.

Oh dear...

... why I couldn't be a Kindergarten teacher ...

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Look at this picture of a cute angelical baby comfortably smiling in a cloud of fluff among the stars; there's no way this could possibly be sinister in any way.

little-baby-angel-dream-cloud-space-19341049.jpg

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

I suppose this little munchin' just likes to get a little naughty now and then, or maybe he's just aspiring to be a barber who likes to share his lively language and warmth; imo, he just needs a little bit mores lovin' and attention.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The question hinges on how "evil" is being defined. Is it a religious concept, or a personality disorder?

People are born with personality disorders, just as some are born left handed, color-blind or with Down's syndrome.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I suppose this little munchin' just likes to get a little naughty now and then, maybe he just needs a little bit mores lovin' and attention.

If only! A little naughty would mean there's hope for redemption; this kid was born for a 'made for TV' movie...just sayin' (and, yes, he gets plenty of attention).

David T

Premium Member
Yes but we end up with darth vaders no matter how many movies we create about "dont be a darth vader." so somewhere in the psyche of some its better to be infamous than to be unknown.

Personally i have strived very hard to be unknown and have been very sucessful at it. It doesnt seem to be a goal for some. Wierd.

agorman

Premium Member

Maybe the question should have been "Can healthy people be born evil?" e.g. there are some who are born psychopaths; they actually have a different brain with smaller amygdalas.

You also reminded me this (although this is more about abused children):

David T

Premium Member
The question hinges on how "evil" is being defined. Is it a religious concept, or a personality disorder?

People are born with personality disorders, just as some are born left handed, color-blind or with Down's syndrome.
Did hitler have a personality disorder? I would say yes we call it "normal".

I would say classifying hitler with a personality disorder other than "normal" is also "normal".

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
If only! A little naughty would mean there's hope for redemption; this kid was born for a 'made for TV' movie...just sayin' (and, yes, he gets plenty of attention).

I suppose he can only get better, unless the neighbors' pets start disappearing; I wouldn't loose hope he'll became more thoughtful and caring towards other living beings.

David T

Premium Member
7411b3987ee75e5733f761b6bfaf2017--ted-bundy-unsolved-murders.jpg

Maybe the question should have been "Can healthy people be born evil?" e.g. there are some who are born psychopaths; they actually have a different brain with smaller amygdalas.

But the vast majority dont act out in negatve ways. And not all indiviuals who act out in negative ways have brain annomolies.

Btw the kid in the vid which i didnt watch reminds me of a young ted bundy for some reason.

shmogie

I think you can if you believe in pre existence.:(
What do you mean by "evil" ? As a Christian, I see a difference between evil, and terrible behavior.

Babies, as already stated by others, are innocent, yet they can behave very poorly.

Evil is a totally different can of worms.

Evil people are wholeheartedly committed to doing the most heinous things they think they can get away with. This mindset has them believing that no rules, laws, or restrictions on what they want to do exists for them.

As a LEO, I came into contact with and arrested a lot of crooks. Some might have been truly evil.

There was one I knew was evil, possessed by a demon from hell.

When I came into contact with him, only hours had passed since he got paroled on a murder charge, obtained a gun and pistol whipped two old lady's for their car, killed a highway patrolman who stopped him, then killed a sheriffs deputy, then killed a teen. All of this in a 6 hour span.

Looking into his eyes was one of the hardest things I have ever done. They were like the dead eyes of a shark, and terrified me, yet I stared back lest he think he had power over me., I doubted at the time that he was a human any longer.

Anyway, there is true evil in the world. Different from stupid people doing bad things.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

If this disorder was created post natally, by abuse, it's not psychopathy. It's sociopathy.
Some people are born with neurological abnormalities. Others may be born neurotypical, but later develop anti-social, behavioral defects for psychological causes.

But "evil," -- that still depends on how you define it.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Yeah, but our very first encounter with another human being requires ripping them open and hurting them badly. That doesn't sound very innocent to me! ;)