• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you answer this question?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Can you answer this question which simply popped into my head while doing some yoga this morning ...

No prizes for the best answer I am afraid. You might get a like or two for your answer and that is always good for your ego!

What is the question?

No. That is NOT the actual question ... here it is -

"Why does the word enjoyment exist?"

Feel free to post any response your cotton-pickin mind can come up with!

Enjoy your day!

:)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The word originated as a euphemism for the study of epistemology. I'm quite sure of it. Had to be.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Can you answer this question which simply popped into my head while doing some yoga this morning ...

No prizes for the best answer I am afraid. You might get a like or two for your answer and that is always good for your ego!

What is the question?

Enjoy your day!

Enjoy, Joy, Enjoyment.
Hmm.
Joy is a noun and rejoice is the verb that goes with it.
Enjoyment is the noun and Enjoy is the verb that goes with it.\
  1. Joy seems to be a feeling and more intense than enjoyment, which is the actual process of taking pleasure in something.
  2. It's too technical for me/

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
You had the word "enjoyment"?! You were lucky! We had to make do with "barely tolerable" and we were grateful for that. We could only dream of something approaching "enjoyment", that would have been sheer luxury to us.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
en - a variant of the word "in" - to enter
joy - a state of euphoric being regardless of the circumstances
ment - a variant of mental and not menthol - not as in crazy (though you may seem to act crazy by other people) - from the derivative of "mind" a mental state.

Thus to enter into a place of joy by the will of your mind.

From the extended Thesaurus of KenS

Brian2

Veteran Member

What is the question?

Enjoy your day!

Enjoyment is the state you are in, (in joy). Joy is the feeling. Rejoice is the celebrating something with joy.
Enjoy is to experience joy.
Are these overlapping?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Thanks 4 all the replies!

I wasn't sure what 2 expect :)

I was just contemplating our use of language - something other earth creatures do well without ...

The intangibles that have to be experienced to really "know" what they mean - such as -

Love
Anger
Curiosity
Anticipation
Compassion
Doubt
Faith
Fear
Ego
Kindness
Forgiveness
Gratitude