• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you answer my post?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
What do you think about 1 Corinthians 5:3?

In context you can see what Paul is saying. You can't isolate verses and expect to understand them....

"Actually sexual immorality is reported among you, and such immorality as is not even found among the nations—of a man living with his father’s wife. 2 And are you proud of it? Should you not rather mourn, so that the man who committed this deed should be taken away from your midst? 3 Although absent in body, I am present in spirit, and I have already judged the man who has done this, as if I were actually with you. 4 When you are gathered together in the name of our Lord Jesus, and knowing that I am with you in spirit along with the power of our Lord Jesus, 5 you must hand such a man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord."

Paul had heard about this man and had judged his actions by the power of the holy spirit and with knowledge of God's word, but it appears that the elders in the congregation had not acted to reprove him. Wrongdoing, especially on this scale would affect the spiritual health of the whole congregation. Elders were under obligation to keep God's worship morally clean.

When you say to someone, "I am with you in spirit" it means that you support them even though you are not physically present with them.

At the end of that chapter, Paul wrote...
"In my letter I wrote you to stop keeping company with sexually immoral people, 10 not meaning entirely with the sexually immoral people of this world or the greedy people or extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, you would actually have to get out of the world. 11 But now I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”

By not actively disciplining this immoral man, the spirit of the whole congregation was threatened. They were to remove him (hand him over to satan) so that God's spirit could flow again.

Workman

UNIQUE
What do you think about 1 Corinthians 5:3?

I had made it clear from the begin(ning)..and already be written’d, of all that (I) mayeth seen’d..

here I have written; by their sentences to your understanding.

{For I verily}....
-For (I) be; selfish, gullible, noisey..etc.

{As absent in body}...
-have lost (your[selves]) the body and Heart, for is there be of the consciousness.

{But present in spirit}...
-but your (I) was Presence by it’spirits in the reality of the unconscious mind.

{Have judged already}...
-And became which was than RIGHT of them, and from which was their “(I) am RIGHT” (to think)! was by theirs to whom judge.

{As though I were present}...
-So was in their own judgement of it’spirits reality “(i) think (i) Know (I’m) right.”..with their reality(the Unconscious world that exists(idea) only in the mind).

{Concerning him that hath so done this deed}...
-By which have now made them see their own truths for it..have concerned themselves for what be (IF) their are [WRONG(ed)]...

May God be with you all!..

Last edited:

Workman

UNIQUE
In context you can see what Paul is saying. You can't isolate verses and expect to understand them....

"Actually sexual immorality is reported among you, and such immorality as is not even found among the nations—of a man living with his father’s wife. 2 And are you proud of it? Should you not rather mourn, so that the man who committed this deed should be taken away from your midst? 3 Although absent in body, I am present in spirit, and I have already judged the man who has done this, as if I were actually with you. 4 When you are gathered together in the name of our Lord Jesus, and knowing that I am with you in spirit along with the power of our Lord Jesus, 5 you must hand such a man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord."

Paul had heard about this man and had judged his actions by the power of the holy spirit and with knowledge of God's word, but it appears that the elders in the congregation had not acted to reprove him. Wrongdoing, especially on this scale would affect the spiritual health of the whole congregation. Elders were under obligation to keep God's worship morally clean.

When you say to someone, "I am with you in spirit" it means that you support them even though you are not physically present with them.

At the end of that chapter, Paul wrote...
"In my letter I wrote you to stop keeping company with sexually immoral people, 10 not meaning entirely with the sexually immoral people of this world or the greedy people or extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, you would actually have to get out of the world. 11 But now I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”

By not actively disciplining this immoral man, the spirit of the whole congregation was threatened. They were to remove him (hand him over to satan) so that God's spirit could flow again.
This be also “correct”..through of its understanding(HEART).

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'm curious to know if the folks on this thread happen to share a common value system, and if so, where did that value system come from? It certainly didn't come from scripture. ;)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I'm curious to know if the folks on this thread happen to share a common value system, and if so, where did that value system come from? It certainly didn't come from scripture. ;)
Care to elaborate on that?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Care to elaborate on that?

Well the posters here are actively interpreting scripture, and I'm wondering what they're basing their interpretations on? If they're basing they're interpretations on their own thought processes, then they must be starting with some philosophical or value baselines. I'm just curious what those baselines are.

syo

You're not alone in that regard, but most people do not take the scripture literally.
Yes. They don't see what is plain clear and they don't find answers to their questions. But the Bible is pretty clear, in my opinion.