• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about Snobs and Snobbery, please?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Definitely in the past there was snobbery and I think a lot came from the middle classes but for sure the old boy network,which school or uni you went to could dictate your whole career but I feel nowadays things are a lot different,the landed gentry snob is a thing of the past,the new money snob is far worse IMO.

Agreed. Modern snobbery is as disgusting if not more than 'back-in-the-day' snobbery.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I live in the U.S.
Huge........ Vast. I live in Kent, England and Liverpool seems a very long way away (about 200+ miles). And the Highlands of Scotland...... about 450 miles.
I once heard that many Americans live 50 miles away from their local supermarket, there are 7 within 3 miles of us here. :)

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Huge........ Vast. I live in Kent, England and Liverpool seems a very long way away (about 200+ miles). And the Highlands of Scotland...... about 450 miles.
I once heard that many Americans live 50 miles away from their local supermarket, there are 7 within 3 miles of us here. :)

I live a mile from my nearest grocery store, 2 miles from the nearest Target (general merchandise) and Trader Joe's, and I'm in the city. In SoCal we drive, mostly. It doesn't help that it's 94 degrees here at the moment... about 34C or so where you are?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I live a mile from my nearest grocery store, 2 miles from the nearest Target (general merchandise) and Trader Joe's, and I'm in the city. In SoCal we drive, mostly. It doesn't help that it's 94 degrees here at the moment... about 34C or so where you are?
The temperature this last week has been about 14c in the early mornings and 20c during the day. We might have a late summer in September/October but the weather is strange, this year. :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Please, moderators, could you put this thread in to the correct forum if it is out of place? Thank you.

What do you think about Snobbery? I was brought up in 50's England, and where the right voice could gain a much better job than the wrong voice, and a particular school tie really could get gain entry to the very best careers. I lived in a country that was so completely embraced by snobbery in so many thousands of ways that this subject could fill a sociologist's studies for a lifetime....I expect..

And now? Where I live? Kent, England in 2021 is still embraced by snobbery, it just shows its face in different ways today. Our children can tell you more about 'street cred' than I can, but I do assure you that if you haven't got the right clothes and shoes, the right reactions and voices, the right certificates and qualifications, the right gear, etc etc....... you will be the victim of modern snobbery.

And on RF? Have you ever noticed any posts that smacked of modern snobbery?

Over to you......................
I hereby poo poo this thread.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I suppose people living out in rural areas would have a bit of a drive. For me, there are several within a short distance. Before the pandemic, many supermarkets around here were open 24 hours.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I suppose people living out in rural areas would have a bit of a drive. For me, there are several within a short distance. Before the pandemic, many supermarkets around here were open 24 hours.
Some of our supermarkets were, and are again, 24hr stores. For many of us we now shop for non food items via IT. Our high streets are changintg quite remarkably from large stores to smaller shops, gyms, speciality retailers etc.
It's all changing..... :)