• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we say organized religion is a positive force in the world with headlines like this?

JoStories

What about those outside their religious community? Wouldn't it be better to have a Block Party where everyone is invited, rather than a Block Party when people of only one religion were invited?
Some people may do that but it would not likely be something that a Buddhist would do and certainly not I. When we have a party on my street, and that is just a few homes, all are invited and that includes mostly Christians. Why would someone exclude others because of a difference in faith is beyond my understanding. I mean, really, who cares?

JoStories

This is about the only one from your list I don't like. The rest of your list...let's just say I prefer your made up religion over the real modern religions.

There are tons of studies out there that prove prayers have no effect.

Now, do they make someone feel good, thinking they did something positive to pray for someone? Maybe. But nothing really "happens" as a result of prayer. For example cancer patients who are prayed for die at the exact same rate as cancer patients who aren't prayed for.

Pray all you want, but if you're expecting some result from it, you have the same chance of getting what you prayed for as someone who doesn't pray for that thing.
While not exactly on point, there are also tons of studies from a nursing POV that prove that the use of spirituality can and does assist in the health of a patient. Nursing has actually now included the concept of spirituality as one piece of our nursing paradigm. People like Dr. B. Dossey and Dr. Swinton, among many others, have proven this beyond doubt. Just saying...
And what if the result of 'praying' is comfort? Is that not a positive? Or perhaps, as in meditation, that can help with pain control. trust me, I know that from personal experience.

JoStories

Why can't we be together with the outside world?

When I was a young kid, a large part of the Catholic gatherings the adults had included a lot of Jew bashing. The Jews were forcing their symbols into the malls at Christmas, the Jews were this the Jews were that.

The Catholics were experiencing and deepening. To them it felt like a positive. From a wider view...was it?
Of course not, it was blatant racism, IMO. I had an opposite experience in my youth. My parents tried to expose me to any faith they could find, teaching me to find my own path, which included atheist, which was the way my father saw things.

JoStories

Attitudes like yours is why religious people may wish to segregate themselves at times.:rolleyes:
That seems a little unfair, IMO. Perhaps, from my path's POV, this was what he was supposed to experience and learn from in this life. We all learn from what we live through. Some lessons are harder than others. Just my two cents....

JoStories

Obviously, Jesus considered the religious leaders in his day to be wicked and deserving of God's judgment.
Could that not have been simply the result of the negative behaviors that they embraced? Who is to say that the behaviors that they exhibited and utilized were a part of what they believed about God or the lack thereof? You are relying on a book, IE: The Bible; as your only proof of these assertions. What if that book has it wrong? At least in terms of why they were not a part of what Christ taught?

JoStories

How about if we just say "equal rights for all people" instead of "equal rights for gay people"? People are people.

Denying marriage to gay people (as far as Catholics are concerned) isn't denying them their rights. They can draw up any sort of contract they want. But it isn't marriage as defined in the Holy Bible so the Catholic Church does not recognize it as such.

Marriage was always meant to be between one man and one woman as defined by Jesus. Gay people can have a union of whatever sort but it isn't marriage by definition in the eyes of the Church and scripture.
I respectfully and strongly disagree. Marriage IS a contract, a legal and binding one or one would not need to have a lawyer to divorce, and since we know that a goodly deal of Catholics and Christians DO divorce your premise that it isn't one is erroneous. Frankly, I could not care less what the Bible states about marriage from your perspective. From mine, which is just as germane, it is perfectly legal and right for all peoples. Therefore, denying me that right to marry is against my rights as a US citizen and/or a citizen of the world. What Jesus may or may not have said does not apply to anyone who does not follow your faith and therefore has NO place in defining what is or is not marriage from a legal POV. Straight people can similarly have a "union" of whatever sort but it IS marriage in OUR eyes.

JoStories

Just as I believe there is a true God, I also believe there is a true and acceptable way to worship God. (John 4:23,24) Counterfeit money may appear similar to the real thing, but it is essential we see the differences. I believe Jehovah certainly sees the difference between true worship and false, and judges accordingly. (Revelation 18:8)
Which is fine, for you. Follow your faith if it works for you. We have agreed to disagree many times. And you know that I find your faith unpalatable for me. But telling me that my view of God is false is very unfair, IMO.

JoStories

He didn't as you already know. He did say that marriage is defined by God in Genesis. Marriage is clearly defined there as between a man and a woman. There is no mention of man and man or woman and woman. This you already know as well.
It is the fact that there is no mention of that being against any 'rules' that make this a moot point, IMO. Where is it written that man and man may not marry? It does say man shall not lie with man, etc, which we know but that does NOT say they cannot marry. There is a vast difference between the two. And frankly, basing legally defined definitions of what is marriage cannot and should never have been based on a book that we only hold to be said by the man you call Jesus. There is NO proof that this is truly what he said. It is all based on belief which has not place in a legal setting.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As I watch the news this morning hearing about one of the worst mass shootings in American history at a gay night club in Orlando (right now, they're saying 20 dead and 42 hospitalized), I feel like I should quote this:

When the word of God is sown Satan comes quickly and steals that seed that was sown and the word becomes unprofitable.

... and point out that in the news coverage I've seen so far, they seem to be taken it almost as given that the shooting was religiously motivated, and this assumption doesn't seem to be surprising or controversial at all.

I know that it's too early to know the details of what happened, but I think this reaction of "yes, of course - that makes sense. I can't see how anything but religion could motivate something like this" says volumes.

JoStories

So, what the Bible says is off-limits and forbidden in a religious forum debate? Is that really your position?
Offering my two cents....I think there is a time for using religious texts within this forum and there is not. IMO, when you answer a post with a verse you are using that as your voice and not truly offering a debatable position. How can a person argue with a Bible verse other than to disagree with what it says? Is it your voice? An analogy would be me using a line from Moby Dick instead of using my own thoughts on an issue. But as I said, just my two cents here.

JoStories

Do present-day tribes think their myths are literally true?
Yes and no. I'm NA and I often see signs, such as a hawk flying over head that I find to be a good omen. And it generally is true regarding the rest of my day, etc. OTOH, there are many that are merely allegorical or the fodder for stories told.

JoStories

I don't agree with your biblical interpretations. But my point was that neither I nor my church hates homosexuals. There are ways to protect gays in their basic human rights without full blown legalized marriage. I want people to understand that my church's view is not hate based. It's not. I'm certain.
And what rights would those be in comparison to those you enjoy and why on earth would they differ based on sexual orientation? Why do they need to vary based on a book that I and many many more do not believe in? The Bible has NO place in being used in the legality of this country. And in fact, the framers of this country strove very hard to prevent that very thing. In point of fact, while you may state that your church's views are not hate based, from my POV, they most definitely are.

arthra

Baha'i
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-for-expressing-his-atheism-on-a6900056.html

10 Years prison and 2,000 lashes for being an atheist in Saudi Arabia.

"In 2014 the oil-rich kingdom, under the late Saudi King Abdullah, introduced a series of new laws which defined atheists as terrorists, according to a report released from Human Rights Watch. "

This is intended as a topic for serious debate: Can we make the case that organized religion is positive for society, or does it fail that test?

I think there are positive things organized religion has done and can do in society... Simply because the dominant religion in Saudi Arabia or other countries is oppressive does not mean religion can not be a positive force for peace on the planet and for the general welfare of human beings. As an example I will provide you with a citation that contains the positive things an organized religion in this case the Baha'i Faith can do:

http://bahaiteachings.org/series/main-principles

rusra02

Premium Member
The debate isn't about the Bible, so yes, it is off limits.

I think the Bible is relevant when it addresses the issue of the debate. So it is not off limits to me. Such attempts at personal censorship do you no credit, IMO.

rusra02

Premium Member
Could that not have been simply the result of the negative behaviors that they embraced? Who is to say that the behaviors that they exhibited and utilized were a part of what they believed about God or the lack thereof? You are relying on a book, IE: The Bible; as your only proof of these assertions. What if that book has it wrong? At least in terms of why they were not a part of what Christ taught?
I DO ACCEPT AND RELY ON WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS. IMO, EACH PERSON MUST DECIDE FOR THEMSELVES WHETHER THE BIBLE IS WHAT IT CLAIMS TO BE, GOD'S WORD. I AM CONVINCED THE PORTRAYAL OF HE JEWISH RELIGIOUS LEADERS IN THE BIBLE IS ACCURATE.