• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can We Arrest Our Prejudice?

buddhist

. . . Unfortunately I'm Barthian to the extreme. Which is to say I believe with Karl Barth that all genuine faith is blind faith. It's not faith if it's contaminated with empiricism, rationalism, or logic. Faith trumps all of them and manipulates them to make itself felt in the world.
What makes "faith" superior to empiricism, rationalism, or logic?

I'm surprised you never experienced Buddhism as an outward expression of things that are still mysterious and perhaps even deeper than Buddhism in Christianity and or Judaism?

John
The Law of Kamma forms the lynchpin which holds all levels of reality together, and that Law is not hidden nor esoteric. Buddhism encourages exploration of the inner world, and the Buddha taught the essentials regarding the most direct path towards the final Goal (nibbana), though he acknowledged that there were detours along the way.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
. . . Unfortunately your theory explains the apathy and devolution taking place wherever we look ----since if being elite is bad, then devolution is good. It's a really interesting phenomena since demonizing the idea of being elite privileges laziness, vice, stupidity, and cupidity without striving or stretching, or trying.
Ha ha...... you're such fun to read...... my first smile of the early morning! :p Now, a short lesson in humanities..... the word 'elite' tends to refer to groups rather than individuals; it's really great news to hear that an individual has succeeded in becoming extremely good at something, so what balanced communiries try to do is assist more individuals on their journey to success.
Where I live we try to level the field of opportunity so that people who have disability can become extremely good at things as well. You are probably disabled in some way as well. When I write disabled I mean exactly that, and person with a lower IQ is disabled, but if that person is 6'2" and built like a bull, and can (for instance) lift a kerbstone on their own then they can probably earn as much as a town's conveyancing solicitor. So we've all got strengths, and we've all got disabilities, but the single worst characteristic that a person can have is big S SNOBBERY. When people think that their group is elite in some way, snobbery sneaks in. So whilst you are probably disabled in some way, you've overlooked this because you're so in love with your small successes. If this is the case then you are simply a Snob.

. . . . See, I've inadvertently describe the nature of the majority of the prose and mindless stuff we see on a forum such as this. Everyone's drinking the Kool-Aide and glorying in the resultant flatulence.

John
Yep.... John..... you could be a snob, mate.
Let me help you. Answer this question as straight as you can...... tell me about all of your weaknesses and disabilities, and then tell me about all your strengths and abilities! :)

John D. Brey

What makes "faith" superior to empiricism, rationalism, or logic?

The fact that it is. . . To examine the relationship between faith, rationalism and empiricism (and logic), we'd need a working definition of faith (we probably have a good working definition of the others).

John

John D. Brey

Ha ha...... you're such fun to read...... my first smile of the early morning! :p Now, a short lesson in humanities..... the word 'elite' tends to refer to groups rather than individuals; it's really great news to hear that an individual has succeeded in becoming extremely good at something, so what balanced communiries try to do is assist more individuals on their journey to success.
Where I live we try to level the field of opportunity so that people who have disability can become extremely good at things as well. You are probably disabled in some way as well. When I write disabled I mean exactly that, and person with a lower IQ is disabled, but if that person is 6'2" and built like a bull, and can (for instance) lift a kerbstone on their own then they can probably earn as much as a town's conveyancing solicitor. So we've all got strengths, and we've all got disabilities, but the single worst characteristic that a person can have is big S SNOBBERY. When people think that their group is elite in some way, snobbery sneaks in. So whilst you are probably disabled in some way, you've overlooked this because you're so in love with your small successes. If this is the case then you are simply a Snob.

. . . There's a difference between acknowledging disability versus ignoring it. It's one thing to say that a person or persons are clearly disabled (in relationship to another person or persons) and quite another to imply either that we should pretend we don't notice, or else trying to dumb down the world to make everyone equally dump, and thus equally smart.

The correct thing to do seems to be to try to find a way to make dumb people smart, and disabled people able.

I would suggest the first step toward making dumb people smart is to try and understand why smart people are smart? It's difficult to fix something until we understand the nature of how it's broken.

John

Oeste

Is it unfair that CNN hires a grossly disproportionate number of Jewish journalists?

I have no idea whether CNN hires " a grossly disproportionate number" of Jewish journalists, but I'm pretty sure concentrating on whether they're Jewish or not can lead to shouts of "JewSA", intimidation on Twitter, or scenes like this:

TShirt.jpg

As such, I see no need to dwell on such nonsense here. I'm sure you'll agree such attitudes are not Christian

Does the NBA discriminate against Mexicans and midgets?

Somehow I'm thinking if there's a Mexican that can help make an NBA team become better, the team will hire them. As for midgets, the NBA is considered a land of giants, but there have certainly been small guards who have contributed, even dominated, their respective teams by scoring, ball handling, assists, or vision on the court. If there's any discrimination going on, I'm sure it's based on physical ability rather than racial identity or ethnic heritage. That wasn't always true, but I'm pretty sure its the case now, as Donal Sterling, former owner of the Clippers can attest.

I see a big difference between a track team that refuses to hire, say, a 90-year-old paraplegic and one that refuses to hire Mexicans, but perhaps you're posting false dichotomies as a way to stir critical thinking?