• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we all agree it is wrong for a 32yo to date a teenager?

Is it wrong for a man in his 30s to date a teenager?

• Yes

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters

Stanyon

WWMRD?
If she is of legal age why would it be?
If she were my daughter I would skin his face and make underwear with it.

Sanzbir

What time period are we talking about??

Like, back in the stone age when it was necessary for the survival of humanity for humans to reproduce pretty much as soon as they were able to is a stark difference in the morality of such a thing when compared to the modern age.

If we're talking modern age, man or woman dating that much younger, yes, it most certainly is a bad thing. One partner has an emotional maturity the other does not and can potentially exploit that relationship. Though for whatever reason it seems even the folks that will say it is wrong that a thirty-year-old man date a teenager, it is strangely harder to find people willing to say it is wrong for a thirty-year-old person to date a teenager.

But past eras are a different matter. Lots of unpleasant things were necessity for survival in past eras, and it is wise to avoid judging them as if they lived in modern luxury.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I don't know, what is the law? I know that in old songs 3 times 7 means a girl is legal. I've heard math skills have declined in America so it's really anybody's guess now.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Criminality aside, can we all just agree that it is wrong for a man in his 30s to date a teenager?

It's creepy, and it's a bad idea. I dated a 25-year old when I was 35, and she was too young for me. Too much of a generation gap already in just ten years, and she had been an adult for a while. She was already a working of two, and we had almost nothing in common. Dating a teenager would have been worse.

Regarding right and wrong, that's an individual decision. It would be wrong for me, and not necessarily because I deem it immoral.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Criminality aside, can we all just agree that it is wrong for a man in his 30s to date a teenager?
No it is perfectly normal, as long as you ask her mother for permission, as the candidate from Alabama claims to have done. Meanwhile you can enter into negotiations for her other children.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Real life doesn't always fit into preconceived notions of how it should be. I've known people with huge age gaps who had loving, fulfilling relationships and marriages, and I've also known people with huge age gaps who had abusive relationships and marriages. Age alone doesn't seem to be what determines the quality of a relationship or marriage here.

Having said that, I would still be highly suspicious of an adult dating an underage teen.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Real life doesn't always fit into preconceived notions of how it should be. I've known people with huge age gaps who had loving, fulfilling relationships and marriages, and I've also known people with huge age gaps who had abusive relationships and marriages. Age alone doesn't seem to be what determines the quality of a relationship or marriage here.
th

Perhaps on an individual basis. The problem is that this man was a serial creep. He not only dated them he tended to "perv on them" at least according to some of the witnesses. One woman worker at a mall believers that her complaints led to him being banned from that mall. There is no hard evidence either way for this.. The elderly owner of the mall claims they have no records going that far back and denies it.

Roy Moore accuser: I got him banned from the mall

With so many accusations it is hard not to take them seriously. I am a bit torn in regards to Moore, the man is a creep and should not win. But I would not mind if the Republican Party had to deal with this albatross for the next six years.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Teenager as in 19? Or teenager as in 13? Bit of a difference, of course.
Heck, you don't need to ask permission to date a nineteen year old. Please note that Moor claims he was a gentleman and always asked permission when dating those young girls first.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I've known teenagers who were more worldly and self-possessed than many people twice their age. So it's not always a bad thing.

However, it's so consistently a bad thing, and often extremely bad, that I would seriously question the judgment of anybody who thought that they were special enough to blow off proprietary. If y'all are truly in love you'll still be so in a few years.
Tom

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Heck, you don't need to ask permission to date a nineteen year old. Please note that Moor claims he was a gentleman and always asked permission when dating those young girls first.
I didn't know we were addressing a specific event or person. :confused:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member

Having said that, I would still be highly suspicious of an adult dating an underage teen.
It's more about mental maturity than age. Women tend to mature faster and therfore want older, more mature men; at least, in my experience.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I didn't know we were addressing a specific event or person. :confused:

I am pretty sure that was the motive behind the thread. Like I said I am torn. Hanging this albatross around the necks of the Republicans could be very useful over the next six years. But reading up on it there appears to be a building backlash among Republican women.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Given the question as it stands, I say <no>.
18 or 19 year old kids are mature enuf to date a 32 year old.
They could even date 64 year old me....if Mrs Revolt would allow it.
(But instead of hopping out of their clothes, they'd be bored out of their minds.)

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I am pretty sure that was the motive behind the thread. Like I said I am torn. Hanging this albatross around the necks of the Republicans could be very useful over the next six years. But reading up on it there appears to be a building backlash among Republican women.
Fair enough, I took the question as a broad-stroke question. Looks like previous replies have the specifics covered.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
These questions are cultural specific. In our culture a girl at 18 can date whoever she wants. Extreme differences seem odd to me, but I would probably stop short of calling it wrong.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
What time period are we talking about??

Like, back in the stone age when it was necessary for the survival of humanity for humans to reproduce pretty much as soon as they were able to is a stark difference in the morality of such a thing when compared to the modern age.

If we're talking modern age, man or woman dating that much younger, yes, it most certainly is a bad thing. One partner has an emotional maturity the other does not and can potentially exploit that relationship. Though for whatever reason it seems even the folks that will say it is wrong that a thirty-year-old man date a teenager, it is strangely harder to find people willing to say it is wrong for a thirty-year-old person to date a teenager.

But past eras are a different matter. Lots of unpleasant things were necessity for survival in past eras, and it is wise to avoid judging them as if they lived in modern luxury.
You nailed it. Very well-put.