• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can walking on sidewalks generate energy?

amorphous_constellation

This is just a random idea that popped into my head, so there it is before I forget it. It's probably not worth commenting on, math is not my bag

But think of it, there are busy streets where people just walk busily 24/7. So the idea is this: if the sidewalk was made of a material that took advantage of the constant, coincidental dis-regulation of the force of mass pressure upon it, to convert it to energy. Then that energy was sent to wherever it might go, to something that spins and powers things etc.

I suppose the same argument might be made for what cars do? Or livestock. I don't know

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Neat idea, but, in order to do this, I imagine that the ground would be springy and difficult to walk on.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is just a random idea that popped into my head, so there it is before I forget it. It's probably not worth commenting on, math is not my bag

But think of it, there are busy streets where people just walk busily 24/7. So the idea is this: if the sidewalk was made of a material that took advantage of the constant, coincidental dis-regulation of the force of mass pressure upon it, to convert it to energy. Then that energy was sent to wherever it might go, to something that spins and powers things etc.

I suppose the same argument might be made for what cars do? Or livestock. I don't know
This exists, but it's expensive and doesn't create that much energy, so the only real-world examples are "proof of concept"-type installations, art projects, etc.

Google "piezoelectric tile" if you're curious.

We Never Know

No Slack

California wants more....

California, home to some of the busiest highways in the world, will soon harvest energy from the millions of vehicles roaming its roads. As part of a pilot program approved by the California Energy Commission (CEC), several freeways will be covered in piezoelectric crystals that turn vibrations into electricity.

https://www-zmescience-com.cdn.ampp...nergy-ecology/california-highway-electricity/

Nimos

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In one line: There are ways but they are not cost-effective, so wait, just like in case of solar cells. Now solar cells generate electricity at a cost less than electricity generated by fossil fuels. India gets 40% of its energy from renewable sources.

Heyo

Veteran Member

No maths required, just physics. Energy can't be created, only transformed. If you are going to "harvest" energy from moving objects, you take away from their energy to move forward. I.e. it will be more exhausting to walk on energy "generating" side walks and cars will burn more fuel on energy "generating" roads.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No maths required, just physics. Energy can't be created, only transformed. If you are going to "harvest" energy from moving objects, you take away from their energy to move forward. I.e. it will be more exhausting to walk on energy "generating" side walks and cars will burn more fuel on energy "generating" roads.
Something like that will wear out in no time flat and will be continuously expensive making cronyism and special interest contracting a luxurious and lucrative venture for politicians who like to brag about their 'accomplishments'.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Something like that will wear out in no time flat and will be continuously expensive making cronyism and special interest contracting a luxurious and lucrative venture for politicians who like to brag about their 'accomplishments'.
Just like "solar freakin' roadways":

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Just like "solar freakin' roadways":

Yea exactly like that.

I do appreciate people's creativity and innovation of invention, but not when it's cramned down people's throats and wallets before its 'prime time' by politicians who want to make a name for themselves.

Make it a better, and long-lasting mousetrap first and I'll be as green as the best of them, providing it makes things permanently cheaper and better first and foremost.