• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can vegetarianism change the world?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Show me where God commands me to eat meat.
The usual answer is along the lines of "subdue", "subjugate," have "dominion"...

"When God gave humanity dominion over the animals, it was in order to care for, tend to, and use those animals to their fullest potential in a just manner. At the time that God gave mankind dominion over the animals, humans did not eat meat* (Genesis 1:29). Eating meat did not begin until after the Flood (Genesis 9:1–3), and it was at that time that animals started to fear humans."

- What does it mean that God gave humanity dominion over the animals? | GotQuestions.org

*so why did God put incisors at the front of our mouths? I'm sure there's an explanation for that.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The usual answer is along the lines of:

"When God gave humanity dominion over the animals, it was in order to care for, tend to, and use those animals to their fullest potential in a just manner. At the time that God gave mankind dominion over the animals, humans did not eat meat (Genesis 1:29). Eating meat did not begin until after the Flood (Genesis 9:1–3), and it was at that time that animals started to fear humans."

- What does it mean that God gave humanity dominion over the animals? | GotQuestions.org

I've had that verse thrown at me by Christians more times than I care to admit, but that, in no way, reads like a command.

To me, it's like leaving $50 on the table for my daughter before I go out of town and telling her it's hers to not lose and use for any needs the come up. Is that a command that she spend it?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Is that a demand that she spend it?

That link seems to suggest not exactly a command to eat meat directly but indirectly imo: "use those animals to their fullest potential" and "God changed the way we interact with animals, in that they are now “meat."

-----------

Also, the author presumably has no idea what goes on in slaughterhouses:
"Human rule over animals does not mean we have the right to mistreat or misuse those animals."
There's a lot of sinning going on. Religious justification for killing. Whatever next.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
That link seems to suggest not exactly a command to eat meat directly but indirectly imo: "use those animals to their fullest potential" and "God changed the way we interact with animals, in that they are now “meat."

Friends have loaned me tools to use to their fullest potential. I've yet to take a bite out of one.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Then again, I never understood how okra, Brussels sprouts, or kale can taste good, either. But people still enjoy these.

There is only one vegetable I know of I don't like (broad beans, the garden variety) but in Mauritius there was a particular spice used in their curries that I rally couldn't stand. I never did figure out what it was, but the meals after big pujas at temples all had it. I had trouble with the prasadam. Imagine that.

But yeah, taste is personal.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I believe in literal karma. Whenever an animal is killed or mistreated for the sake of human consumption, that creates negative karma. Humanity suffers as a result of negative karma.
I believe that the purpose of mankind is to become collectively enlightened, which would end the cycle of life, and bringing about the end times, whatever those times entail. I believe collective vegetarianism is a necessary step towards this end.
What would happen if everyone went vegetarian/vegan? What would the net gain be? in relation to all the negative karma we would no longer incur through systematic animal abuse.
Perhaps much of the suffering that humans face is a direct result of the suffering we force on billions of animals on a daily basis. Are we naive enough to think that we don’t suffer consequences for the suffering we cause other species?
I’m a meat eater, guilty of taking part in animal cruelty. But what if myself, and all of you, stopped taking part in animal cruelty? Would the world change for the better? I think so.
All your God has to do is to change our teeth and our digestive system, for the next generations. Problem solved.

So, the question is why did He designed us such that we love Wiener Schnitzels?

ciao

- viole

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
"Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

First, this is your scripture, not mine. I see no need to take advice from a paradigm I don't identify with. Second, I see no command. Third, using your logic and my interpretation of the verse above, God commands cannibalism.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
First, this is your scripture, not mine. I see no need to take advice from a paradigm I don't identify with. Second, I see no command. Third, using your logic and my interpretation of the verse above, God commands cannibalism.
Not if the person reading it is using common sense. If talking to all humans obviously humans are not included.
It says " will be food for you." Not may be food. That sure sounds like a command to me.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Not if the person reading it is using common sense. If talking to all humans obviously humans are not included.
It says " will be food for you." Not may be food. That sure sounds like a command to me.

So do you eat everything that lives and moves? Dogs? Cats? Chimpanzees? Rats? Maggots?

If not, and this is, indeed, a command of God, what consequences will befall you for disobeying His command?