• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can vegetarianism change the world?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Something like 84 percent of people who try it in America go back to meat in less than a year.

"In a survey of around 11,000 Americans, the organization found that 84 percent of vegetarians and vegans return to eating meat, says the Huffington Post. Most lapse within a year, while nearly a third don't last more than three months."

Most Vegetarians Lapse After Only a Year | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

Now if you want to talk learning to eat sustainability, that's another topic. Most vegetarians aren't growing all their food. Eating local meat is a lot more sustainable than most vegetarians diets

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There's no scriptural mandate in Christianity that one must eat meat, as Paul even mentions that one could go either way on this as it's not really an important item, which differs significantly from the many kosher laws mandated in Torah.

BTW, vegetarians live roughly 7 years longer here in the States, although some believe that this is not really a true measure since most vegetarians don't smoke .and are often more health conscious in other areas as well.

Personally, I much prefer veggies over meat, but I am not a vegetarian. I limit my meat consumption, which is why I'm far better looking than all others here! :p.

Jeremiah Ames

I believe in literal karma. Whenever an animal is killed or mistreated for the sake of human consumption, that creates negative karma. Humanity suffers as a result of negative karma.
I believe that the purpose of mankind is to become collectively enlightened, which would end the cycle of life, and bringing about the end times, whatever those times entail. I believe collective vegetarianism is a necessary step towards this end.
What would happen if everyone went vegetarian/vegan? What would the net gain be? in relation to all the negative karma we would no longer incur through systematic animal abuse.
Perhaps much of the suffering that humans face is a direct result of the suffering we force on billions of animals on a daily basis. Are we naive enough to think that we don’t suffer consequences for the suffering we cause other species?
I’m a meat eater, guilty of taking part in animal cruelty. But what if myself, and all of you, stopped taking part in animal cruelty? Would the world change for the better? I think so.
I went vegan for about a year, and I must say, it’s not an easy diet.
I’m doing keto now, and it is a pleasure, for me anyway.

But, if there was a serious movement to end the eating of animals, I would gladly get on board.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe in literal karma. Whenever an animal is killed or mistreated for the sake of human consumption, that creates negative karma. Humanity suffers as a result of negative karma.
What do you say animals have that living non-animals ─ eg plants and microorganisms ─ don't have that gives them this privileged position?

And if God made us, or at least oversaw our specifications, why did [he] make us omnivores?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I believe that the purpose of mankind is to become collectively enlightened, which would end the cycle of life, and bringing about the end times, whatever those times entail. I believe collective vegetarianism is a necessary step towards this end.
What would happen if everyone went vegetarian/vegan? What would the net gain be? in relation to all the negative karma we would no longer incur through systematic animal abuse.
Perhaps much of the suffering that humans face is a direct result of the suffering we force on billions of animals on a daily basis. Are we naive enough to think that we don’t suffer consequences for the suffering we cause other species?
I’m a meat eater, guilty of taking part in animal cruelty. But what if myself, and all of you, stopped taking part in animal cruelty? Would the world change for the better? I think so.

You never know. Maybe it might increase carbohydrate consumption and more will be diabetic. Also, maybe plants are alive and killing them is also the same as killing an animal for food so if there is a Karma, it could work both ways. Also maybe people will make meat in the lab which maybe deemed "not killing an animal" so animal killing will completely die in business. Thus at that point all animals will have some other purpose other than being sold or killed for meat like milk, farming labour, etc which maybe thought of as more cruel.

Also in religions like Buddhism when the Panchaseela is recited, the Panathipatha Veramani is speaking of killing as in taking a life in vain, maybe not for food. Also maybe one should focus on Musawadaa. How about the Kamesumichchacharaa veramani?? No sex. So maybe people should just stop having sex so that this seela will bring in good karma for the whole world with a faint chance that humans will be eradicated from earth, some of them attains nirvana, others born as animals because humans are not making babies anymore.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
There's no scriptural mandate in Christianity that one must eat meat, as Paul even mentions that one could go either way on this as it's not really an important item, which differs significantly from the many kosher laws mandated in Torah.

BTW, vegetarians live roughly 7 years longer here in the States, although some believe that this is not really a true measure since most vegetarians don't smoke .and are often more health conscious in other areas as well.

Personally, I much prefer veggies over meat, but I am not a vegetarian. I limit my meat consumption, which is why I'm far better looking than all others here! :p.
There is no mandate against eating meat in Baha'i as well, but 'Abdu'l-Baha says eventually the people of the world will be vegetarians:

When mankind is more fully developed, the eating of meat will gradually cease.
(The Promulgation of Universal Peace)

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I don't know about karma, but cows emit methane, which is a potent for warming the earth. It takes more vegetables or feedstock feeding animals to feed us than if we directly eat vegetables and the population of people is growing. 'Abdu'l-Baha said:

When mankind is more fully developed, the eating of meat will gradually cease.
(The Promulgation of Universal Peace)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I went vegan for about a year, and I must say, it’s not an easy diet.
I’m doing keto now, and it is a pleasure, for me anyway.

But, if there was a serious movement to end the eating of animals, I would gladly get on board.
If I had to suddenly eat meat (for survival perhaps, if I was stranded with no other food source) I'd find that not an easy diet. Diet is subjective, as to easy or difficult. Try being a vegetarian Celiac. On long flights, for example, one can order vegetarian meals, or gluten free meals, but not vegetarian and gluten free.

Personally, I found it really easy to become vegetarian. Far easier than quitting smoking. You still get to eat. With smoking, you have to give it up entirely.

Last edited: