• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can vegetarianism change the world?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Let's say everyone becomes v/v tomorrow.
Not going to happen, so I'm not sure we need to worry about the possibility.

There are literally billions of livestock animals, most of which will have no purpose in the food chain. We must either kill them all, or keep them alive and not reproducing until they die off naturally. Because I don't think enough people want cows, goats, chickens, and so on as pets.
One last worldwide BBQ, then we all go vegan. Problem solved.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think the problem is a morality problem. I think that going vegetarian/vegan is a step in correcting morality. If it is done at a collective level, I think our morality would collectively improve.
As a believer in karma, I think that we would see net benefits, because moral behavior creates good karma. The removal of negative karma would be a solution to many problems. Which ones? Perhaps all of our problems, to some degree.
Immorality is the root cause of all suffering, so if we correct it, we solve everything. From my theistic viewpoint at least.

I don't understand how you can argue for something but not practice it yourself. That just seems odd to me. Is it 'some time in the future'?

The arguments for vegetarianism are plenty, but arguments are useless if not turned into practices. But because of drought, I think it might just become a necessity rather than a fad for some. The amount of protein that can be obtained directly without the animal middleman is absurdly high.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What percentage of the population do you honestly believe are taking world food supply into consideration when procreating?
I have no idea.
But I envision that continued population growth will
run into a hard limit of food supply. Vegetarianism
simply allows a higher limit.
BTW, I imagine that it would be a dynamic limit,
with periodic famine causing population fluctuation.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I don't understand how you can argue for something but not practice it yourself. That just seems odd to me. Is it 'some time in the future'?
You’re right, I ought to be a vegetarian. Lack of willpower I suppose, or perhaps my conviction on the subject isn’t as strong as it should be.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I think you’re right, actually. But most of the meat we do eat has a cruel slaughtering process. So if we were to only eat meat that we humanely raised ourselves, perhaps this would solve the morality issue.
You can't humanely slaughter to feed 8 billion people. (Personally, I don't see what goes on in slaughterhouses as humane, apart from it is done by humans).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You’re right, I ought to be a vegetarian. Lack of willpower I suppose, or perhaps my conviction on the subject isn’t as strong as it should be.

In my many long discussions with your Baha'i friends on this forum, the 'some time in the future' was the oft refrained answer. Perhaps you've truly become a Baha'i? (I've been vegetarian since age 19 when I tried it as a health experiment for exactly a one month period. I vowed off. Some friends with no will lasted for 2 days. I hoped none of them ever got married, if that showed how they considered vows.)

We Never Know

No Slack
Many in the world today would be like....

IMG_20210908_151620.jpg

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I think the problem is a morality problem. I think that going vegetarian/vegan is a step in correcting morality. If it is done at a collective level, I think our morality would collectively improve.
As a believer in karma, I think that we would see net benefits, because moral behavior creates good karma. The removal of negative karma would be a solution to many problems. Which ones? Perhaps all of our problems, to some degree.
Immorality is the root cause of all suffering, so if we correct it, we solve everything. From my theistic viewpoint at least.
Exactly. Your contribution, or not, to the collective level consists of what you put in your mouth. So you'll be off to the pits of hell unless you at least reduce your meat consumption. I have the welfare of your soul at heart. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When will agricultural science get to the point where every new built house has a room designated as a garden, and that provides the family who lives there with 50% of their annual food? That concept gets simpler and closer with each passing year.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I believe in literal karma. Whenever an animal is killed or mistreated for the sake of human consumption, that creates negative karma. Humanity suffers as a result of negative karma.
I believe that the purpose of mankind is to become collectively enlightened, which would end the cycle of life, and bringing about the end times, whatever those times entail. I believe collective vegetarianism is a necessary step towards this end.
What would happen if everyone went vegetarian/vegan? What would the net gain be? in relation to all the negative karma we would no longer incur through systematic animal abuse.
Perhaps much of the suffering that humans face is a direct result of the suffering we force on billions of animals on a daily basis. Are we naive enough to think that we don’t suffer consequences for the suffering we cause other species?
I’m a meat eater, guilty of taking part in animal cruelty. But what if myself, and all of you, stopped taking part in animal cruelty? Would the world change for the better? I think so.
Albert einstein said there's nothing more important to the survival of the human race than the gradual adaptation of a vegetarian diet.

InvestigateTruth

I believe in literal karma. Whenever an animal is killed or mistreated for the sake of human consumption, that creates negative karma. Humanity suffers as a result of negative karma.
I believe that the purpose of mankind is to become collectively enlightened, which would end the cycle of life, and bringing about the end times, whatever those times entail. I believe collective vegetarianism is a necessary step towards this end.
What would happen if everyone went vegetarian/vegan? What would the net gain be? in relation to all the negative karma we would no longer incur through systematic animal abuse.
Perhaps much of the suffering that humans face is a direct result of the suffering we force on billions of animals on a daily basis. Are we naive enough to think that we don’t suffer consequences for the suffering we cause other species?
I’m a meat eater, guilty of taking part in animal cruelty. But what if myself, and all of you, stopped taking part in animal cruelty? Would the world change for the better? I think so.
I agree. For sure, if all people of the world show kindness to animals, the world will become a better place. I always consider, knowing a person, can be known by his/her behavior towards animals.
Some non-vegetarian diat may not be really animal cruelty if done in moderation. For example having some eggs, or some dairy. I dont know about fish.