• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can vegetarianism change the world?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Why believe anyone without hearing analysis?
I'm a nobody. The Un is a political organization.
And we've seen no quotes from them.

There's a claim that vegetarianism can change the world.
I see no problems it will solve.
So there's an open question....
Which ones & how?

Hunger for one. If grazing pastures and feed crops were converted into food crops for human consumption, there would more shelf-stable food that could be more easily transported to areas where food is scarce without need for refrigeration.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
There's a claim that vegetarianism can change the world.
I see no problems it will solve.
So there's an open question....
Which ones & how?
I think the problem is a morality problem. I think that going vegetarian/vegan is a step in correcting morality. If it is done at a collective level, I think our morality would collectively improve.
As a believer in karma, I think that we would see net benefits, because moral behavior creates good karma. The removal of negative karma would be a solution to many problems. Which ones? Perhaps all of our problems, to some degree.
Immorality is the root cause of all suffering, so if we correct it, we solve everything. From my theistic viewpoint at least.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hunger for one. If grazing pastures and feed crops were converted into food crops for human consumption, there would more shelf-stable food that could be more easily transported to areas where food is scarce without need for refrigeration.
That would allow for a larger population on Earth.
But is being more populous solving a problem?
Nay...it means more of other resources being used.

We Never Know

No Slack
I think the problem is a morality problem. I think that going vegetarian/vegan is a step in correcting morality. If it is done at a collective level, I think our morality would collectively improve.
As a believer in karma, I think that we would see net benefits, because moral behavior creates good karma. The removal of negative karma would be a solution to many problems. Which ones? Perhaps all of our problems, to some degree.
Immorality is the root cause of all suffering, so if we correct it, we solve everything. From my theistic viewpoint at least.

I don't see it being immoral to eat meat however some slaughtering processes could be questioned

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't see eating animals as immoral.
So we disagree about what a "problem" is.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
That would allow for a larger population on Earth.
But is being more populous solving a problem?
Nay...it means more of other resources being used.

How would this impact world population?

There would certainly be less livestock to feed.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I don't see it being immoral to eat meat however some slaughtering processes could be questioned
I think you’re right, actually. But most of the meat we do eat has a cruel slaughtering process. So if we were to only eat meat that we humanely raised ourselves, perhaps this would solve the morality issue.