• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can this win God-proofs contest?

questfortruth

First Proof:
If a being knows everything, then He knows that Omniscient Being exists as well. Thus, Omniscient Being exists.

Second Proof:

If All-knowing Being does not exist, then the following would be true to say:
"All-knowing Being does not know anything." [As example: Dead bodies do not know math.]
We came to contradiction, because such Being is not All-knowing.
Thus, the All-knowing Being exists.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
"All-knowing Being does not know anything." [As example: Dead bodies do not know math.]

It's not a contraction because the Being doesn't exist. I think that's the biggest flaw in your reasoning.

All-knowing Being must know, that All-Knowing Being exists.
Thus, among the hidden knowledge must be the knowledge
of the existence of All-knowing Being.

Despite the fact that this makes no sense, paradoxes don't prove anything. Take for example Zeno's Dichotomy Paradox. If you were to walk from point A to point B, you must first walk halfway between the two. Then you must walk halfway between those two points - and then halfway between those two, and those next two, etc. ad infinitum. Thus never actually being able to reach point B. This obviously isn't true.

questfortruth

It's not a contraction because the Being doesn't exist. I think that's the biggest flaw in your reasoning.
The Three Headed man does not exist. So, the 3 headed man knows nothing.
No contradiction, because such man is not all-knowing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
All-knowing Being [if He exists] must know, that All-Knowing Being exists.

Second Proof:

Not sure, but it seems to me that it is a good submission for a faulty logic contest.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The Three Headed man does not exist. So, the 3 headed man knows nothing.
No contradiction, because such man is not all-knowing.
Right. Following this same logic:

The All Knowing God does not exist, so the All Knowing God is not all knowing.

This ^^ is true.

This ^^ is false. Because there is no contradiction.

Here it is written all as one statement:

If All-knowing Being does not exist, All-knowing being does not know anything.

This ^^ is true. No contradiction.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Second Proof:

Is it from the truthful religion or from science, please?

Regards

PureX

Veteran Member
The condition of "all-knowing" includes all there is to know. And all there is to know about, is what exists.

To "be" is to "exist". "Being" is defined as the state of existing. So the condition of "being all-knowing" must, therefor, exist.

And since "existence" includes everything that exists, and everything that can be known about it, we would have to conclude that both of these exist in relation to each other; i.e., together. The all-knowing and the being exist, together.

Thus the "all-knowing being" must exist.

The condition of "all-knowing" includes all there is to know. And all there is to know about, is what exists.

To "be" is to "exist". "Being" is defined as the state of existing. So the condition of "being all-knowing" must, therefor, exist.

And since "existence" includes everything that exists, and everything that can be known about it, we would have to conclude that both of these exist in relation to each other; i.e., together. The all-knowing and the being exist, together.

Thus the "all-knowing being" must exist.

The "all-knowing being" does exist, but only as an abstract concept in your mind. You can't use abstract thoughts to define things into physical existence.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Second Proof:

Nope. Not even near. Regard this simple proof:

1. Premise:
Clapton is god.

2. Observation:

3. Conclusion:
God exists.

PureX

Veteran Member
Like, the phrase itself? Sure. All language is abstract. The actual physical world around us described by that phrase? Most certainly not.
The "actual physical world around us" is an ideological concept being generated in our minds in response to sensory input from our bodies, memory, and our exceptionally elaborate imaginations. Just as an "all-knowing being" is. My point here is that claiming God is "just and idea" and therefor doesn't exist, is illogical.

The "actual physical world around us" is an ideological concept being generated in our minds in response to sensory input from our bodies, memory, and our exceptionally elaborate imaginations. Just as an "all-knowing being" is. My point here is that claiming God is "just and idea" and therefor doesn't exist, is illogical.

Slight miscommunication - I didn't say god doesn't exist. I maintain the position that no one (alive at least) could ever know of the existence of god. Your "all-knowing being" as introduced in your earlier post is specifically what I was referring to.

Your error is in the assertion that the physical world exists in response to our mind's interpretation of it. The physical world does exist, with or without us here. We can only experience it through our senses, and as such we may have individual perceptions of it, but the variable there is us - not reality.