• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can There Be More Than One God or Just One?

Ziroc

Considering that God A is a 'thing' that is All Mighty, the existence of another God B will abandon the All Mightyness of God A, because God A is not All Mighty anymore, hence, there should only be one God, because God is the toppest of all the toppests.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Firdaus Mardhatillah said:
Considering that God A is a 'thing' that is All Mighty, the existence of another God B will abandon the All Mightyness of God A, because God A is not All Mighty anymore, hence, there should only be one God, because God is the toppest of all the toppests.
God is not a 'thing' as we know it. The laws of physics as we know it do not apply where there is only energy and no matter.

I think the simplest way to put the answer to this is 'too many cooks, spoils the broth.'

Ziroc

EnhancedSpirit said:
God is not a 'thing' as we know it. The laws of physics as we know it do not apply where there is only energy and no matter.
Mmm..ok, but I wasn't emphasizing that God is a 'thing' anyway.

Segestan

The expectation , need or idea that is God is of human origin. God , the tribal-cultural-King, is the leader of those faithful persons who for whatever reason find that in thier minds a God must exist. As a Muslim yourself you are building your own expectation on faith. Logically, as you stated ; A Supreme God must by definition , be singular.
Every being , man or beast, has a unique personality associated with the identifiable body. The Soul is Singular. So it is natural that many higher minded humans , the builders and planners of earth, should or would feel that God is a singular All-Powerful, All knowing being.
In Ancient times it was a common believe system, that their was a soul is every thing. A tree , or rock , animals of the sea , land and sky had souls. Animals soulswere given as tribute the the Gods. God was polytheistic to the ancients. It was the hebrews for the most part, who , through tirbal monarchy , and cultural stability established a singular idea of Their G_d.
Better that those who are like-minded accept God as one. Better that those who think Gods are a family of equal value maintain thier cultural heritage. In short to each his own. The diversity of Faith ideas is an basic element of the human experience.

regards,

Ziroc

Segestan said:
As a Muslim yourself you are building your own expectation on faith.
Im not basing my idea on my believe, instead I'm trying to think as logically as possible.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Considering that God A is a 'thing' that is All Mighty, ...
You mean considering that you define God as 'All Mighty'. If you define God as Purple, only purple Gods need apply.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
How about none (in the Christian sense)? Honestly, it makes no difference to me whether one or many......

Dayv

deut, you say the funniest, but still smartest, things. This is kind of a dumb argument to began with, since every bit of the 'question' is assumed straight from the beginning. You are assuming that there is a god, that he is a thing, and that that thing is almighty, and also that only one 'almighty' being can exist at once.

Silvanus

Ok how could God A not still be Allmighty, if there exists a God B or God C etc. that is equally Allmighty?

God A would not be limited if there exists Another; It's very possible and understandable for there to be multiple eternal principles such as eternal opposites like: light/dark, yin/yang, good/evil, God A/God B :)

Zoroastrianism, Manichaenism, Ancient pagan cultures, Wicca, Taoism, etc....there are many religious beliefs that hold the sacredness of multiplicity...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Nascent Judaism was henotheistic. 'Almighty-ism' reflects little more than the hyperbolic bombast of the day, and was little more than the assertion that 'my God can beat your God'.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If God is not All Mighty, how could God be God???
You tell me. It's your myth after all. Note, however, that many cultures over many centuries were polytheist/henotheists, and there exists a good deal of evidence to suggest that this was precisely the case with the early Israelites.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Deut. 32.8 said:
You tell me. It's your myth after all. Note, however, that many cultures over many centuries were polytheist/henotheists, and there exists a good deal of evidence to suggest that this was precisely the case with the early Israelites.
Even the cultures who worshipped multiple God's had one above all the others.

Lycan

Preternatural
Some religions have many gods and goddesses that are equally powerfull but none allpowerful. They are they are fallible and make mistakes but they are still gods. Some religions have many gods and goddess and even more lesser gods and goddesses. Lesser god not as powerful as primary gods but gods none the less. They do not have to be allpowerful to be gods.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
EnhancedSpirit said:
Even the cultures who worshipped multiple God's had one above all the others.
Thanks for sharing. By the way, do you know what 'henotheism' means? Perhaps it has something to do with believing in multiple Gods but placing "one above all others".

jewscout

Religious Zionist
this is of course assuming that all peoples believe in the same G-d of the Abrahamic faiths...

Silvanus

the one above was always in danger of being defeated by another one, such as Zeus defeating his father Kronos. It was really the Universe itself that was "God," to most polytheistic cultures, and those beings attributed to be "gods and goddesses" were also creations of the Universal forces, however much more powerful from man.

Silvanus

only a jealous god would say "There is no god but me!"

Now watch what he says and tell me this is not extremely suspicious?

I the Lord your God am a jealous
God (Exodus 20:5)....for the Lord,
Whose name is Jealous, is a jealous
God (Exodus 34:14).

He is a Jealous God; He will not
forgive your transgressions nor
your sins. If you forsake the Lord,
then He will turn and do you hurt,
and consume you...(Joshua 24:13,14)

For I the Lord God am a jealous
God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers
upon the third and fourth generation