• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the universe learn?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is not even a theory but a thought experiment at this point but to me they're edging closer to pantheism. Because if the universe can learn and evolve we could ask if the universe is a learning and evolving divinity of some sort or other.

Can the universe learn? | Live Science

The universe could be teaching itself how to evolve into a better, more stable, cosmos. That's the far-out idea proposed by a team of scientists who say they are reimagining the universe just as Darwin revamped our view of the natural world.

The controversial new idea attempts to explain why the laws of physics are as we see them using a mathematical framework to describe various proposed theories in physics, such as quantum field theories and quantum gravity. The result is a system similar to a machine-learning program.
In order to have a universe that evolves, the researchers proposed an idea called the autodidactic universe — a universe that is self-learning. In this case, the learning would happen similar to how a machine-learning algorithm works, where feedback at one stage influences the next, with the goal of reaching a more stable energy state. .

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This is not even a theory but a thought experiment at this point but to me they're edging closer to pantheism. Because if the universe can learn and evolve we could ask if the universe is a learning and evolving divinity of some sort or other.

The universe could be teaching itself how to evolve into a better, more stable, cosmos. That's the far-out idea proposed by a team of scientists who say they are reimagining the universe just as Darwin revamped our view of the natural world.

The controversial new idea attempts to explain why the laws of physics are as we see them using a mathematical framework to describe various proposed theories in physics, such as quantum field theories and quantum gravity. The result is a system similar to a machine-learning program.
In order to have a universe that evolves, the researchers proposed an idea called the autodidactic universe — a universe that is self-learning. In this case, the learning would happen similar to how a machine-learning algorithm works, where feedback at one stage influences the next, with the goal of reaching a more stable energy state. .
It's interesting. Maybe it's conformity and stability by which the universe maintains a balance with chaos.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We are part of the universe and we can learn so in that sense the universe can learn. But I don't ascribe a general intelligence to the whole of the universe or to physical processes. Same with evolutionary biology. A giraffe doesn't want the leaves and so stretches its neck to reach them to cause long necks. Evolution isn't something that happens in response to stimuli. More like many, many, many random instances of change happen. Some work out, most don't. But those that do provide the illusion of an intended linear pathway.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

It certainly would explain a lot that goes unexplained or dismissed. I actually believe that the universe is a self learning algorithm with consciousness being fundamental to it's evolutionary creation. Perhaps there is an eternal substrate program that facilitates a learning consciousness. That would explain the fine tuning, and existence of intellect. It's better than explaining away the need for an explanation.

I see that some scientists compare the universe to a neural network. It's definitely worth pursuing.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It certainly would explain a lot that goes unexplained or dismissed. I actually believe that the universe is a self learning algorithm with consciousness being fundamental to it's evolutionary creation. Perhaps there is an eternal substrate program that facilitates a learning consciousness. That would explain the fine tuning, and existence of intellect. It's better than explaining away the need for an explanation.

I see that some scientists compare the universe to a neural network. It's definitely worth pursuing.
To me it's not so much explaining away the need for an explanation as removing human projection onto something that shows no need of it. To me 'fine tuning' arguments is backwards, ascribing a universe that is 'perfect for life' rather than 'life adapted to the universe that is.' Or, more popularly, the puddle analogy. The water conformed to the shape of the puddle, the puddle wasn't shaped for the water's benefit. I also don't believe that life or intelligence can only happen a single way, or that the universe having intelligence means something more special than a universe would have been without intelligence, or that a universe that gets intelligence needs some special process.

Imo, comparing the universe to a neural network is as comparing a cloud to a human face.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Since everything seems to be interconnected, I would tend to think that the universe can learn. As an old Buddhist axiom goes, if a butterfly flaps its wings in China, it changes the weather the world over.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

It's an interesting proposition. Not sure I believe it, but could lend credibility to humanity (consciousness in particular), as being expressions of the Universe experiencing/exploring/learning itself as some Schools of thought say.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
To me it's not so much explaining away the need for an explanation as removing human projection onto something that shows no need of it. To me 'fine tuning' arguments is backwards, ascribing a universe that is 'perfect for life' rather than 'life adapted to the universe that is.' Or, more popularly, the puddle analogy. The water conformed to the shape of the puddle, the puddle wasn't shaped for the water's benefit. I also don't believe that life or intelligence can only happen a single way, or that the universe having intelligence means something more special than a universe would have been without intelligence, or that a universe that gets intelligence needs some special process.

Imo, comparing the universe to a neural network is as comparing a cloud to a human face.

Understood, and Thankyou. A mere physical biochemical byproduct.

I ascribe more to the existence of intelligence. I think it deserves special consideration. There's a long list of faculties that we have that I would not compare to the formation of a puddle. I would classify those faculties as a higher order of function.

But I understand that you don't want to complicate things beyond necessity.

I see a necessity to do so. I don't claim to know the answers to that necessity but nevertheless I see a necessity.

I don't think there is anything to argue. I see your point of view.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The distance if many 10,s, 100's, 1000's', millions and billions of light years between "nodes", planets, galaxies, superclustors with little in between above the quantum level precludes the idea of thought/memory

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah. I don't know of anything that can traverse solar systems fast enough to compete with the speed of our own brains. Maybe out there in the unknown parts of Physics there are particles that go fast enough, but so far nobody can find them even after spending billions on vacuum tubes to search for them.

Now let us suppose, however, that humans spread throughout the galaxy and construct a network? Then the galaxy might be able to think. We'd need some kind of triumphal luck first. We'd need to send and receive zero mass particles, and I don't mean low mass but zero mass. This would be a very interesting and difficult challenge, probably not even doable.

RestlessSoul

The distance if many 10,s, 100's, 1000's', millions and billions of light years between "nodes", planets, galaxies, superclustors with little in between above the quantum level precludes the idea of thought/memory

Even if the Universe thinks veeeeeery sloooooowly?

Michael345

Therefore, it is also important for us not to forget about self-education. There are many helpful resources where you can learn almost any skill for free and quickly, order free essays online, research and term papers, flashcards and much more. And we have all this in free access only thanks to technological progress. In order to have a universe that evolves, the researchers proposed an idea called the autodidactic universe — a universe that is self-learning. In this case, the learning would happen similar to how a machine-learning algorithm works, where feedback at one stage influences the next, with the goal of reaching a more stable energy state. .
I read an article where a group of students said that the universe can learn how to evolve into a better, more stable space. This is a far-reaching idea, proposed by a group of scientists who argue that it is necessary to rethink the universe in the same way that Darwin changed our understanding of the natural world.

RestlessSoul

Now our planet is actively adapting to debris and pollution. So I think yes, nature is definitely smarter than all of us.

Whatever parameters the universe may have, it’s a safe bet we are not the smartest thing in it. Many of our problems seem to come though, from thinking that we are.

Repox

Truth Seeker

If you analyze the universe based on laws of entropy, you'll find the universe evolving according to those laws, and, based on scientific analysis, those laws are very reliable for explaining processes in the universe.
Of course, there is so much going on in the universe, one can imagine almost anything happening. For a long time, cosmologists proposed the universe was expanding like a giant balloon. Then, when the picture of the universe turned to an oblong shape, cosmologists proposed a different universe. I find no evidence to suggest the universe is violating laws of entropy, which is predictable inasmuch as we have evidence from the big bang for the expansion rate, and the directional disposition of the universe. A big problem, however, is the universe is so enormous, it is difficult to compute parameters which are almost invisible.

Then, one must consider the purpose of the universe. I propose God created the universe as a prison for Satan. Based on that purpose, the universe is a very efficient prison. Just think how pleased Satan may be jumping in and out of black holes. It must please his dark evil nature. Ha. Ha. Oh, I know it isn't funny, but maybe it's true.

Last edited:

sealchan

The science of complex, adaptive systems and its application at any layer of physical reality would suggest that the Universe, at its largest scale, is also a complex, adaptive system and its laws are tuned to its current homeostatic phase space rather than immutable.

I found this recent article pertaining to this OP:

The Universe Can Bend the Laws of Physics All By Itself, Scientists Say

gnostic

The Lost One
“sun rise” said:
Can the universe learn?

I have been trying to teach the Universe, to learn his “A, B, C” for the last 13 billion years. I’m making no headway. :(

I think I can safely diagnose :rightmagnify: the Universe to be dyslexic. :seenoevil:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Barsh!
Flimshaw!
Balderdash!
Poppycock!
Fiddle faddle!
Tis all new age airy fairy woo woo.
Learning is just an emergent property
of another emergent property, ie, life.

I have spoken.