1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can teachings of Jesus and Buddha be combined into book?

Discussion in 'Religious Books and Scriptures' started by PicarddataSolo, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein ᛘᛁᛏᚾᛁᚴᚼᛏ᛫ᛋᚢᚾ
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,821
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    I'm not buying it. Why would the writers of the Gospels pattern their stories after pagan myths, which they reviled? I'm not seeing the paralells in the Odyssey, either. Polyphemus is not possessed and Odysseus is not a demigod. I don't recall his sheep falling off a cliff, either.

Jesus's miracles sometimes being a retellong of miracles in the Hebrew Bible I can understand.

2. Buddha Dharma

Buddha Dharma Dharma Practitioner

Ratings:
    +1,484
    Religion:
    Bhedabheda Vedanta
    Well you don't have to buy it, and I'll admit, it probably sounds farfetched to many raised in a Christian framework, which I was not. Do you think first century Jews were ignorant of Greek thought and cosmology? We're talking about the time period that produced Philo of Alexandria, who was arguably the most Hellenized Jew to ever live. He admired Platonism so much, he tried to syncretize it with Judaism and turn it into a working system. We also see in Josephus that the Jews were not ignorant of Greek belief. He writes against those Jews that adopted the Greek understanding of Tartarus and made it into Sheol.

3. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,957

No. Unless for informational or probably spiritual guidence and theology. Religiously, the key foundation separate the two by a long shot: one god/creater vs many gods/no creator. One god/all powerful vs many gods/various characteristics some shared by humans others do not.

Similar virtues: peace, love, etc different foundations thereby different deeper definitions of those values.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Buddha Dharma

Ratings:
    +1,484
    Religion:
    Bhedabheda Vedanta
    In a sense, I suppose I should be grateful for my agnostic upbringing. It allowed me to question and decide everything for myself concerning the religion of the masses: Christianity. Saying something doesn't theologically compute really has little effect on me. Theology and cultural borrowing are not necessarily connected.

5. Phantasman

Phantasman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466
    Religion:
    Christian gnosis
    Jesus did as Legion asked.

Lukes version:
    30 And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.
    31 And they besought him that he would not command them to go out into the deep.
    32 And there was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them. And he suffered them.

Jesus saw one spirit of man more important than the swine who has no spirit.

I believe the compassion was well guided. One man is much more to God than all of the animals. Of course, there are those who see the complete opposite.

6. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein ᛘᛁᛏᚾᛁᚴᚼᛏ᛫ᛋᚢᚾ
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,821
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    Hence I was correct about Jesus not really caring about animals or teaching compassion towards them. Your views are a good example. I do find it interesting that Jesus cared what a demon wanted. Strange. He could've just sent them back into the abyss they came from. But he chose to let some animals be tormented instead. Sounds sadistic. Shame on Jesus.

I have seen pro-animal rights Christians argue that story away. I'm not convinced but I hope that they are right. Christians do not have a good track record with animal welfare and that needs to continue to improve.

#26 Saint Frankenstein, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  7. Buddha Dharma

Ratings:
    +1,484
    Religion:
    Bhedabheda Vedanta
    Oh come now. Surely as a gnostic you don't believe the proposition of Cartesian dualism? That animals are mere automatons.