• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Spirit....Consume?

Earthling

David Henson
Now you're getting more into the soul, or mind--that which gives a living being an individual persona that can survive the absence of a body. Spirit is just an impersonal force of life, the animating power from God.

Well, not entirely. My point is that the words translated as spirit has various meanings all of a similar nature. Invisible active force producing visible effects. Some of those are practical and some are more of a supernatural application.

Angels and demons have souls and spirits; animals have bodies and spirits, but we are the only critters created in God's triune image, with a mind/soul (Father), body (Son) and spirit.

His triune image? Nonsense. (Father), body (Son) and spirit? Nonsense.

Angels have souls, as does God. They have spirit? How so? The word Holy means sacred, belonging to God, the word spirit means invisible active force that produces results. The Holy Spirit is God's invisible active force, producing results, like the creation of the universe.

Animals have bodies, and spirits - the spirit of the horse was broken, for example. In this case spirit means mental inclination. They are also breathers, and the Hebrew word for soul, ruach, has the basic sense of, or meaning, of breather. Animals have souls. They became living souls just as we did. (Genesis 1:20-23) Edited To Add Some translations, including the KJV, translate the Hebrew word ruach as soul in some places and as life in other places, such as the verses given above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
the life that was breathed into Adam (Genesis 2:7) to make him a living being, and which will return to God upon death,
there it is.....the give and take

so what do you take unto yourself?.....that you live
and when you surrender it.....do you fail altogether?

I suspect we do continue......but we need support

the question though remains
do you continue to consume?....that you continue to live

what can a spirit consume?....if anything

74x12

anything....anyhow....

most people like to think the after life is eternal

fueled.....by what?

or maybe no fuel is required?
energy cannot be destroyed

but it CAN be converted
contained
transformed
Fueled by God of course. The everlasting God is going to be everyone's Life then.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I think this idea can run in sooooooo many directions

so......I did not list a choice of replies

but what do you think?

Cannot say.

But for sure I know I can consume spirit. I am particularly fond of Swedish Vodka.

Ciao

- viole

DustyFeet

पैर है| outlaw kosher care-bear | Tribe of Dan
what can a spirit consume?....if anything

does consume mean separating something "useful" from raw material -> storing/using it's "usefulness" and discarding waste?
i don't think "waste" fits into the framework of "spirit"

just want u to know i took your premise seriously

DustyFeet

anger and laughter because we speak about being consumed by them. but does "consumption" fit? anger wastes time? but what is actually discarded while we are being consumed by anger? in rage aren't we fully consumed. what is left out? same thing with laughter. maybe when we say consumed with anger, we mean overwhelmed?

this leads to the idea of vessels. which is interesting because it crosses 3 externally distant religious groups. but on a practical level, each of their vessel concepts harmonize.

the jewish mikvah
the vessel concept in catholic exorsism
proper construction and care of the authentic native american peace pipe

mikvah, in a way, is about purifying vessels
catholic exorsists limit the number of vessels ( i think, please correct me or add detail someone?)
an authentic native american peace pipe is isolated to prevent corruption ( same note as above )

DustyFeet

why vessels? because it give a common framework for discussing "spirit"

Thief

Rogue Theologian
why vessels? because it give a common framework for discussing "spirit"
you are contained in a vessel at this moment

you can't get out
no one seems to be able
as if an unwritten rule we can't circumvent
(except maybe that Sleeping Prophet)

if we cannot get out when we seem to be in control.....living
what hope have we after the last breath?
we follow the body into the box.....and into the grave
the box and grave become another container

the grave will consume the spirit

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and then there are parables and one liners in the gospels

like the Wedding Feast

we are called to the Table
to consume what?

in the story...someone didn't dress well enough to be seated there
he was bound hand and foot and thrown into the outer darkness
for a weeping and gnashing of teeth

sounds like an execution
and what would there be?....in that darkness
something that bites?
hard enough to make you clench your teeth?

DustyFeet

twinkle twinkle little star
are we just samples in a jar
formed and limited for what goal
not just to raise this festivus pole
that would be a waste

...what was i doing here ...

right... the wedding feast

out of bed, and in the car
i am a sample in a jar
speeding down the avenue
stop at the red ones
is what i should do
but

that's a rule
not a reason

Last edited:

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
From the Bhagavad GeetA:

In a philosophical sense, not in the physical sense, the Spirit is called 'yadnya-bhoktA'
BhoktA = consumer (In addition, the Spirit is Witness, One Who Sanctions and permits actions, Protector, Guardian, Supreme Controller - BG chapter 13)

1. Anything very dear to a person that the person gives away or gives up, is an act of sacrifice, called 'yadnya' in sanskrit. Spirit is the consumer of all such sacrifices. e.g. sacrifice sleep (wake up early and meditate), giving food , money / wealth, gifts, position (given up for a good cause), prestige, honor (given up for losing and transcending the ego).....

2. Food that living beings eat is consumed by Spirit in the form of vaishvAnara -- the digestive fire in the living being's stomach -- metabolic rate? (a creation/manifestation of Spirit) -- So this is not direct and we cannot say Spirit eats. This is pure physiology of course, but the fuel behind the physical is the Spirit. Something that triggers the mechanics of the body to make it live and sentient

Nature/definition/description of Spirit from the Bhagavad GeetA

BG 2.20 This AtmA (which is Spirit) is never born, never dies, eternal, ever-present, ancient. Body dies, Spirit that was in the body , lives.

BG 2.23 No weapons can cut the Spirit, no fire can burn it, water cannot make it wet, neither can wind dry it.
BG 2.24 That is because the Spirit can never be cut, burned, made wet or dried. It is eternal, Omnipresent, pervades everything, still, immovable, stable, never moving, never changing, constant.

BG 2.25 The Spirit is invisible and unmanifest (avyakta), inconceivable, formless, without any blemish, flaw, distortion, change. Knowing this, do not grieve O Arjuna

BG 8.21 The highest state is of the Spirit - unmanimesft, invisible, indestructible. After attaining which, one does not take birth in the mortal world, that is My Supreme abode.

BG 15.6 Neither Sun, nor Moon, nor fire lights/illuminates My Supreme Abode, from where no one returns to the mortal world [i.e. It is Self-Illuminating and does not require any supplement, fuel, energy]

Last edited: