• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can souls be divided and combined?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Actually the body does not contain the soul, the body IS the soul. The Bible says that Adam became a living soul. The same word that is translated as "soul" is also translated as beast or animal or body. Now maybe what you are talking about is the spirit because a person has a spirit. But that is another subject. As far as souls is concerned, body and soul are the same thing.

I believe that is illogical because the body already existed before it became a soul.

lostwanderingsoul

I believe that is illogical because the body already existed before it became a soul.
Not really because the word that is translated as "soul" can also be animal or beast or even body. The Bible says Adam became a "living soul". Before that he was still a soul but had not been brought to life.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A soul is an individual unit of consciousness.

My question: Can such a unit of consciousness be divided into (for instance) two separate consciousnesses, or combined with other consciousnesses into a single, greater consciousness?

I believe this happens all the time and is a feature of how reincarnation works.

Any thoughts?
excellent title post

and sharing your thoughts and dreams with another
reduces the differences between you

eventually your spirits are as one

no difference

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not really because the word that is translated as "soul" can also be animal or beast or even body. The Bible says Adam became a "living soul". Before that he was still a soul but had not been brought to life.

I believe if that is the case then "soul" is an absolutely useless word when describing what lives on after the death of the body. It is also a useless word for describing a living soul unless one uses the adjective "living" before it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
see Star Trek.....the mind meld

even in fiction.....it was considered risky

I believe that is fiction. I do believe in mind communication through the spirit and some would call that mind reading. It probably is also possible for a spirit to manipulate a mind that is not its own as well. However the complete dominance of someone else's mind is rare and we often call that possession.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I believe that is fiction. I do believe in mind communication through the spirit and some would call that mind reading. It probably is also possible for a spirit to manipulate a mind that is not its own as well. However the complete dominance of someone else's mind is rare and we often call that possession.
Star Trek IS fiction....however....

coupling your mind to another and sharing your thoughts
breaks down the differences between us

a perspective shared .....intimately ....
is far more detailed
and for all intent (literally).....the same

reading someone's thought at distance
as if a book
is not unusual

we do it everyday.....right here